Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Illustrated: A New Hope (Topps, 2013)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Illustrated: A New Hope (Topps, 2013)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted
Surprise!!! Big Grin
Picked up 6 retail packs at Target.

6 cards per pack
Base card parallels:
0 Black foil 1:12,
1 Bronze #81 1:24
2 One Year Earlier 4,17 1:2
5 Movie Poster Artist Reinterpretation 1,3,4,7,9 1:3
0 Etched Foil radio drama 1:8
0 The Mission-Destroy the Death Star 1:12
1 Panorama sketch 1:107 Clap
0 Film Cel Relic 1:80

Overall C
Pros: Art, some creative scenes on base cards.
Cons: $3 a pack for retail. So far, chase cards do not stand out.

TWO Pics below. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xtime,

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
sketch(reverse side), 1year earlier
bronze, base
illustrated, wrapper
Enjoy!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xtime,

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I got one Jumbo pack.
I got
1 Movie Poster reimagined
1 Bronze card 1:24 (#24)
1 One Year Earlier
and of the 9 base cards I only got 5 different, 4 duplicates. The upper section had 4 base cards and the 2 inserts and the lower section had 4 of the same base cards 1 different base card and the bronze parallel.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up 1 jumbo & 8 regular packs.

Jumbo...
11 base & 1 Year Earlier

Regular...
1 Panaroma sketch (color) Clap

Anybody get a HOBBY box???

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Xtime, can you show the two sketches?

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The packing ratios in Hobby are pretty much the same, except --

Film Cel = 1:2 boxes
Panorama Sketch = 1:3 boxes
Gold Parallel - 10 complete sets only. Packed about 1:6 boxes
Sketchograph - 1:6.6 boxes

Posts: 622 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: December 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
two sketches...FEAST & famine.

Reverse side - see pic above.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Scott Zambelli Biggs is excellent and the Dennis Budd Leia not so bad, it just doesn't take advantage of the extra space like the Biggs sketch does. There really shouldn't be anything drawn on these panorama sketches that would fit on a single sketch card without the actual art having to be reduced in size which is not the case with the Leia. That drawing would've pretty much entirely fit on a single sketch card.

Still, pretty lucky to get two of them from retail packs. Thanks for the pictures!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That Leia sketch is a poor effort. Not only doesn't it take advantage of the extra space, it has no shading, no depth, no background, no smooth break and only a generic likeness to the character.

Its not the worst sketch I've ever seen. Its just like getting a winning number on your $10 scratch-off ticket and finding out the prize is $10.Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
$10 should never be spent on a scratcher. I'm not anti-gambling, I buy trading cards after all, but if you have $10 to burn on lottery, play the $1 Fantasy Five (or something like it's equivalent, but that's what we have in California) 10 times instead. Your odds of actually winning something decent are a whole lot better.

As for the Panoramas, the art really should be over and above on them quality-wise. It does have a fold right in the middle of it after all, which is generally considered a no-no where art is concerned.

No breaks for me on this yet, unfortunately. The presence of the film cell cards makes them too risky to buy at opening prices, but as soon as they come down (provided they aren't short printed), I'll return here with some actual cards to show. You think Topps would have learned collectors don't consider Film Cells as hits from the huge amount of Jedi Legacy that remains unsold. Then again, they aren't stuck with it, the dealers are. It'll sell out eventually thanks to the autographs, though.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
$10 should never be spent on a scratcher.

New York has multiple scratchers for $1, $2, $3, $5, $10, $20 and $30. It also has Lotto, Take Five, Mega Millions and PowerBall. A whole lot of people are happy to contribute to the New York State Lottery on a regular basis, even though no one is quite sure where the money is going. Wink

On the otherhand these same people think trading cards are a waste of money. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Take Five" would be the one to play then. Winnable, and potentially for a nice amount, if not quite the half a billion one could theoretically win from Mega Millions and Powerball, which are also now in California. Our two states alone must put in a massive percentage of the money towards those hefty jackpots.

As for trading cards versus the playing the lottery, at least we're left with something for our money. Most scratchers and lotto tickets go right into the garbage.

Picture of Gregore
posted Hide Post
I heard the Radio Show reference at the bottom of the box is because Disney gave Topps a problem over printing rights. Anybody know anything about this?

Posts: 89 | Location: Earth - I'm told | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Opened some more packs tonite.

Pulled a PURPLE parallel.
Wrapper list a black 1:12 & bronze 1:24, but no purple. What's the deal?

Confused

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
The black parallels seem to have been changed to purple sometime after the wrappers were printed. I pulled 2 from each box.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Anybody got extra sets and/or base and chase to trade? Please email x4741@hotmail.com
thanx

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Again...anybody got extras to trade?

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I recently opened one box of this.

1 100 card base set
12 One Year Earlier cards (1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18)
8 One-Sheet Reimagined Movie Poster cards (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9)
2 Purple parallels (75, 83)
1 Bronze parallel (34)
3 Etched foil puzzle cards (2, 4, 6)
2 The Mission: Destroy the Death Star cards (4, 8)
1 Film Cel card (FR-2)

The set is nice enough, but I'm not thrilled with the value I received compared to the cost of the box. I wish I had waited for the price to drop as it has with some other Star Wars sets.

xtime, I will email you with the numbers of my extra singles.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
xtime,I have a stack of extras for you.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How can you tell the difference between the Gold parallel and the Bronze? When looking at them on ebay the color of the lettering looks very similar.

Posts: 1 | Location: Cleveland | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post