Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Marvel Masterpieces 2007 (Upper Deck)
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Masterpieces 2007 (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
I think you're right! I'll update my original posting now.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Finally sorted all the inserts from my boxes. A full 1/3 of the cards were inserts.

Final tally for 5 1/4 boxes

sketch cards- 6
Ross box loader sets- 1
Ross insert sets- 1
Adams Insert sets- 1
Struzan Insert Sets- 4
Splash page sets- 2
Splash page foil parallel sets- 1
X-men sets- 2
X-Men foil parallel sets- 0 (8/9)
Foil parallel base sets- 0 (89/90, so close)
Goild foil parallel sets-0 (29/90)

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
I recieved the 3 boxes I odered on ebay today. The Spider-Man by Paz is awesome.

Box 1- Captain America by Ryan Orosco 9 Tails Studio

Box 2- Spider-Man by Michael Jason Paz 9 Tails Studio

Box 3- ??? by David Esbri

Man, there's some awesome sketches being pulled by everyone.

The third one appears to be The Falcon, but not too sure since it's hard to see. But it does look like feathers by his arms.

Posts: 84 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: December 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Wolverine - Ryan Orosco
Thor - ???
X-23 - ???
Spider-man - ???

Lock Jaw - Steven Miller
Hulk - Red
Hob Goblin - Rich Molinelli
Dr Strange - Brian Kong
??? - Jay Jimenez

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
great sketch card pulls everybody
anyone inrested in trading any sketch cards from this set for dc legacy sketch cards. Please e-mail me my e-mail address is in my profile

millhouse

Posts: 757 | Location: london england | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
quote:
Originally posted by Fire8rays:
The postman is from the FF movie and would be Stan Lee that is so cool[QUOTE]Originally posted by ztaylork:
Here are the pulls from 2 cases. My only complaint is that with sooo many artists, I don't know who the heck half of them are, and with so many of the obscure characters being drawn, I don't know half the characters. If upper deck had an acurate list of all artists, with just one of their sketches it would help a TON!!! So if anyone can tell me if I got anything good, that would help a ton Smile I know a few are good, but not sure of some.

No, the postman in the FF comics was Willie Lumpkin who was played by Stan Lee in the movie.

Who is the artist on that sketch card as I've just pulled a Lockjaw sketch by the same artist?

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:

The last one by Jimenez could be Bonebreaker. An X-Men villain with the Reavers whose lower body is tank treads.

Posts: 84 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: December 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justm:
Who is the artist on that sketch card as I've just pulled a Lockjaw sketch by the same artist?

Isn't it Jeff Chandler?

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dillndill:
quote:

The last one by Jimenez could be Bonebreaker. An X-Men villain with the Reavers whose lower body is tank treads.

Now that you mention it it does remind me of those characters, think I've got a few comics with them in to compare. Cheers.

Actually it's Ares, god of war! Amazing luck I spotted some pictures of him and his armour matches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DeathStorm,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by justm:

Isn't it Jeff Chandler?

Thanks Deathstorm Thumb Up

I'll post an image tomorrow, along with my Jerome Moore Thor sketch.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
Got my 2 boxes today, but have only opened one since the other is a christmas-gift, so it`ll have to wait Smile

I have no idea who the artist is or who the sketch is supposed to be... Any input is much appreciated Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Deathstorm your last sketch is ARES:GOD OF WAR. He had his own mini series in 2006 and is currently in MIGHTY AVENGERS.

Hyperion. I have never seen a pilgram in marvel comics unless they are pulling from their new Diablo line and it is a character from RED Prophet.

I opened one of my two boxes, the second I can open on Christmas.
My first 6 packs had all 6 of the gold foil cards. In pack 7 I pulled a Tom Palmer Ink sketch headshot of Cyclops of the X-men. It is really nice.

Question. There are no Palmers on Ebay and I have seen none pulled on Cardtalk. Has anyone else seen a Palmer on any other website? He has worked for Marvel for over 4 decades, so I am really proud/excited to pull this sketch.

Once I get my scanner on track again I will post the image.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
Deathstorm / Barobehere: Good job. Smile Haven't read Ares or any Avengers in a loooong time.

Hyperion: By the western look, I'm guessing he may be the Gunslinger from the Stephen King's Dark Tower series. As far as artist, I'm leaning towards Bo Hampton.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dillndill:
Deathstorm / Barobehere: Good job. Smile Haven't read Ares or any Avengers in a loooong time.

Hyperion: By the western look, I'm guessing he may be the Gunslinger from the Stephen King's Dark Tower series. As far as artist, I'm leaning towards Bo Hampton.

Could be Solomon Kane. I think he appeared in one of the black&white mags and possibly an issue of Marvel Premiere.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Finally got proper scans . When I went to scan them my local shop had a new box so I grabbed another 12 packs and got a Grant Gould Colossus(I think) sketch. So my grand total for 5 sealed boxes and 21 loose packs are the following 7 sketches. I really do like that Paz Spider-Man, probably the only 1 of the 7 I will be keeping.

-Goethe

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone Smile
I wanted to mention that I've seen a lot of the pencil sketch cards with the apparent "BH" signature attributed to Bo Hampton. (Most recently, the Solomon Kane Sketch belonging to member: Hyperion). After some conjecture, and with the posting of all the artists numbers, it now seems they are his after all.
Member Incarnadine mentioned that the cards signed BH07 are Brian Hagan, but I think that's the ones with the "BH07" in block letters in black marker.
The ones in which the letters "BH07" are signed in pencil are Hampton's who it turns out drew 197 for the set. Simple but effective sketches in the true sense of the word, and really it's just great to get even the autograph of such a fine artist, who likely has many demands on his time.
I hope to figure out how to post the pictures of the 14 sketches I've got already, including a Cap by "BH" (Hampton).
I've also got a nice Kieron Dwyer Cap (he signed KD by the way, since I've not seen any others from his 20 yet) and an excellent grey tone Hulk from David Williams who only did 10 for the set.
Thanks to NSU for this great forum, and to the members whose imformative and good natured posts make collecting cards an even greater delight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
The cards signed

bh

are actually Brian Hagan.

-Goethe

Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're right. I just looked at a card that Bo Hampton signed for me a con and he signed his full name so I'm sure he did his sketches that way also. Strange how none of his have surfaced yet, or at least I haven't seen any.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
Marvel Masterpiece Breakdown
Box 2011761
sketch cards- Black Bolt by UKO

Base Set – 2
Ross b & w box loader - 1
Ross color – 2(2), 3
Adams color – 1, 3
Struzan color - 1
Spiderman -2(2), 3(2), 5, 8(3)
Spiderman foil- 1, 4
X-men -1(2), 2,4,7(2),8,9
X-Men foil -6,9
subcasts – 36 total at least 1 set
foil with fleer logo – 30
foil with Upper Deck logo - 6
Box 2011762
sketch cards- ? by Brent Engstrom

Ross b & w box loader - 3
Ross color – 1, 3
Adams color –2(2)
Struzan color - 0
Spiderman -1(3),2, 3,6,7(2),9
Spiderman foil- 2
X-men -2,3,6,7,8(2),9
X-Men foil -2,5,6
subcasts – 36 total
foil with fleer logo – 30
foil with Upper Deck logo - 6

Two boxes gave me at least 2 base sets, 2 sketches, complete set of color Art Adams and Alex Ross triptychs, 1 subcasts set, only got 1 Drew Struzan triptych card, both the X-men and Spiderman non-foil sets need 1 card to complete them but I can use a foil card to complete the sets.
What did I think of this release? Well it certainly lacks the cohesion present in the other Marvel Masterpiece sets. I definitely got the impression the images were just thrown together and I can’t tell you how much it annoyed me to discover the title card is so disjointed. I mean what gives that we get such an obviously cut up image – grr – let’s just throw in part of Wolvie’s arm! Plus I was not a big fan of the art used for my two favorite characters – Wolvie and Storm. Over the years there have been some fantastic images of those two (think Julie Bell, Jim Lee, Mark Silvestri, and Greg Land) and so I found the two chosen images to be lacking. There was nothing special about the Spiderman or X-men 9 card sets as so many people said they could have been base cards – though I loved the Storm. The Ross triptych was nice but I thought the Adams lost some detail at that size. I was glad to get sketch card artists I know work in sketch cards and while I think they are nicely done I don’t like either character; in fact I have no idea who Engstrom drew. The uneven quality of sketches and low number of some artists put me off buying more boxes of this product. I’m glad I had a look at this product but I don’t believe it lived up to its potential. I ‘m sorry to hear that UD already has plans to do another one since I think it will be rushed just to make money and not be the highlight for fantastic art that the early Marvel Masterpieces produced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comicbookfan,

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I recently pulled a 1/1 Dr. strange, I recognize the sig and artwork, but yet I can't figure out who did this. Any help would be great. There looks to be KNG on the bottm and a D right above that.(sig is at top of card)

Posts: 6 | Location: new jersey | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post