Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Marvel Masterpieces 2007 (Upper Deck)
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Masterpieces 2007 (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
It is by Louis Small Jr. but the charachter's name escapes me.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
dakorupter, the character is Strong Guy(Yes, that is his name)sometimes known as Guido-a member of X-factor.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
I had not planned on buying a box of the Marvel Masterpieces 2007 or collecting the set as I sold all the other early Marvel Masterpieces sets I had but decided to buy a box to give it a fair chance. I ended up getting two boxes from that auction site and the boxes produced:

Box # 10370/13000

Base Set - 2
Ross Box Loader - 3 of 3
Splash Page Ross Insert - 1 of 3, 3 of 3
Splash Page Adams Insert - 1 of 3, 2 of 3
Splash Page Struzan Insert - 1 of 3, 2 of 3
Spider-man Insert - S1,S4,S6x2,S9x2
X-men Insert - X1x2,X3,X4x2,X5x2,X6x2,X9
Foil Parallel - 4,5,9,16,18,19,24,27,31,32,33,35,36,39,40,42,44,47,48,50,52,53,59,62,66,69,77,79,81,88
Gold Foil Parallel - 20,38,43,65,84,90
Spider-man Foil Parallel - None
X-Men Foil Parallel - X2,X3,X8,X9
Sketch card - Vision by Brian Hagan

Box # 5940/13000

Base Set - 2
Ross Box Loader - 2 of 3
Splash Page Ross Insert - 2 of 3
Splash Page Adams Insert - 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3
Splash Page Struzan Insert - 2 of 3, 3 of 3
Spider-man Insert - S1x2,S2,S3,S6,S7x3,S9
X-men Insert - X2,X3,X6,X7,X8,X9
Foil Parallel - 1,3,7,12,14,20,22,28,34,38,41,43,49,55,57,58,63,64,65,67,70,72,74,76,78,80,84,86,87,90
Gold Foil Parallel - 3,34,43,70,74,90
Spider-man Foil Parallel - S2,S5
X-Men Foil Parallel - X2,X3
Sketch card - Ms.Marvel by Cat Staggs

Other than the Spider-man Inserts on the one box did not make the stated odds and the X-men Inserts going over the stated odds the boxes delivered as promised. I was surprised by the characters on the normal base cards some I wondered why they did not make the set and why others did. Guess it gives Upper Deck more characters to work with on Marvel Masterpieces II.

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merkin:
Little help with identification???
These are Clickable Thumbnails

Character????

Valkyrie by Artist????

Character and Artist????

Character and Artist????

Nightcrawler by Artist????

Concerning the 3rd one down with the JJ sig on it, I've pulled a card with the same sig, According to the artist list there are only two people with a first and last name that begins with J. They are Jim Jiminez, and Joe Jusko, It can't be jiminez becasue I've already seen his sig on some sketches and it doesn't match. I've seen Joe jusko's on some previous cards from other sets, but not from this one. Supposedly joe only did 5 sketch cards for this set, but the sig doesn't match either. But these are the only two names I found on the list with two J's.

Posts: 6 | Location: new jersey | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure who the artist is but I do know that isn't a Jusko sketch.

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
It's Jim Jiminez. He's signed his name at least three different ways that I've seen on the sketches. Also, the J's on his initials looks like the same J's when he signs his full name.

Posts: 84 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: December 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The 3rd one is Vindicator/Guardian of Alpha Flight.
The 4th one is Gladiator of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard by Jason Phillips.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dillndill:
It's Jim Jiminez. He's signed his name at least three different ways that I've seen on the sketches. Also, the J's on his initials looks like the same J's when he signs his full name.

I would have to disagree. Jim does not make a check mark for the J in his full name. In addition, look at the 7 in 07, it is clearly different.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will offer up Anthony Winn as the artist. That is a W in the background and the slash is for the A.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
And here are a few others that I've seen posted. None of them really look like the others.

And the second J on this one looks pretty close to a check mark.

I just think it depends on how he signs. If it's the JJ way then that's how he signs, even with the slash through the zero.

Anyone else got a take on this. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dillndill,

Posts: 84 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: December 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bond:
I will offer up Anthony Winn as the artist. That is a W in the background and the slash is for the A.

Yeah, it could be some artist getting creative with their sig.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else got a take on this.

I think the 07 part of the argument is convincing - it's not Jimenez. Also, the list of artists is known to be incomplete, so it (unfortunately) could be anyone. At the moment, JJ is one of the many unidentified artists.

Oh, and it's not Winn - he signs with a nice clear AW in a box Smile

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apex_Ninja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thefan:
But these are the only two names I found on the list with two J's.

To me his or her initials look more like KF or VF ? Confused
Hmmm... Will we ever know the artist ?

Posts: 133 | Location: NL | Registered: August 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Might this be Chachi Hernandez?

Thanks,

Ben

quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
quote:
Anyone else got a take on this.

I think the 07 part of the argument is convincing - it's not Jimenez. Also, the list of artists is known to be incomplete, so it (unfortunately) could be anyone. At the moment, JJ is one of the many unidentified artists.

Oh, and it's not Winn - he signs with a nice clear AW in a box Smile

Posts: 5 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: November 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
NO. Having had a Chachi Hernandez card, he signs with an H with the right side of the H forming a C.

Actually, a member of another forum finally solved this mystery. The JJ looking auto belongs to......Brad Vancata.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
quote:
Originally posted by dillndill:

I would have to disagree. Jim does not make a check mark for the J in his full name. In addition, look at the 7 in 07, it is clearly different.

Unlikely as it sounds, the Spidey is by Bard Vancata. Somebody on another forum tracked it down and I emailed Brad to confirm that the signature was his.

his reply was
quote:
you are correct--that is indeed me. altho what that sig is is a combined "VAN" with the slash of the "A" going thru all 3 letters. Sometimes i sign this way, sometimes it's just a "V" with a period behind it, and sometimes it's "VANCATA" with all of he crossbars removed from the "A"'s.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i see it Smile

Posts: 6 | Location: Bastrop/Austin TX | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Finally it's solved!!!

Posts: 6 | Location: new jersey | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
My first box arrived.

box 11626/13000

Mole man by Paul Gutierez ?

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
yep, looks like it

Posts: 6 | Location: Bastrop/Austin TX | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post