Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Donruss Americana, 2009 (Donruss)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donruss Americana, 2009 (Donruss)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Although not a "breakdown", I obtained a Anthony Quinn & Mickey Rooney Co-Stars swatch card. The reason I'm posting about this is: Where did the co-star information on the back of the card go? I had to do some research to find that they starred together in "Requiem for a Heavyweight", but in the past Americana series, it was mentioned on the back. What happened??

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
Although not a "breakdown", I obtained a Anthony Quinn & Mickey Rooney Co-Stars swatch card. The reason I'm posting about this is: Where did the co-star information on the back of the card go? I had to do some research to find that they starred together in "Requiem for a Heavyweight", but in the past Americana series, it was mentioned on the back. What happened??

Perhaps Panini America Inc. happened.

I am having a hard time liking these cards. The poster cards with the double swatches on the back are nice looking, but the numbering is up to 500. I don't really care for the new design on the material cards.

The autograph stickers against the background is as bad as ever and the most of the new signers are people who frankly haven't been heard from in years. And as you point out, the text is bare bones.

Yes, there are a few additions that I would want, but nothing that I couldn't wait on. So far I don't see this as a great start for Panini's debut edition.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
That's so unfortunate. Americana could have been a series that had a lot of milage potential. But with poor designs and little to content on the backs, I could see this being the final curtain for Americana.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
5 Retail blaster boxes:

3 Proof Parallels 7 [# 012/250], 56 [# 087/250], 93 [# 144/250]
2 Proof Parallel Relics 9 [# 031/100], 26 [# 007/100]
1 Cinema Stars Relic 19 [# 234/250]
2 Hollywood Legends 19 [# 0967/1000], 22 [# 0284/1000]
1 Movie Poster Relic 41 [# 088/500]
1 TV Stars Relic 1 [# 095/100]

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I bought a blaster box from Wal-mart today. To say that this set is ugly would be an understatement. I got three inserts. One proof, one cinema star and one relic all of the same person who I have no clue who it is!
Terrible, terrible product.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You are saying this product is terrible based on a $20 retail blaster box?

Wow.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been loving this set, and picking up a ton of it -- it's awesome that the cost has been dropped by $10 a pack, and there are some great autographs.

I picked up a two blaster and pulled a Humphrey Bogart relic out of each. . . plus one proof card.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:

Wow.

No, I did not make myself clear. The images of the actor/actress on the card is surrounded by a brown boarder that covers over 1/2 of the card. The images of the actors look like they have been poorly cropped from events and they look amazing out of place on the card. The text of the back of the cards are poorly written. It almost looks like a few pieces of information were taken from Wikipedia and then placed there. As for the Cinema Star insert and the cheesy street scene on the front and back could have be done by any teenager working with photoshop.

I purchased a blaster and "terrible" was my gut reaction and that is what I posted because I had limited time to explain(some of us do have a life outside of cardtalk). I purchased the product and so my opinion does count. It does not matter if purchased a Blaster, box, or case to think what I feel, Bryan.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:

Wow.

No, I did not make myself clear. The images of the actor/actress on the card is surrounded by a brown boarder that covers over 1/2 of the card. The images of the actors look like they have been poorly cropped from events and they look amazing out of place on the card. The text of the back of the cards are poorly written. It almost looks like a few pieces of information were taken from Wikipedia and then placed there. As for the Cinema Star insert and the cheesy street scene on the front and back could have be done by any teenager working with photoshop.

I purchased a blaster and "terrible" was my gut reaction and that is what I posted because I had limited time to explain(some of us do have a life outside of cardtalk). I purchased the product and so my opinion does count. It does not matter if I purchased a Blaster, box, or case to think what I feel, Bryan.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well you purchased a blaster, which the base and inserts are completely different than the hobby set. The hobby set is all foilboard, and very very nice.

The images ARE street shots, since Donruss would have to pay an unimaginable amount of money to get shots of these actors/personalities from the tv shows, movies ect that they are in. I suggest you pick up a Hobby box and see if your opinion changes, because the foil cards as well as the great insert sets (the movie poster is my favorite) make this a pretty good set IMO

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with barobehere on this one. This last Americana series has a poor design in my opinion. (I've always felt that the oily-faced paparazzi pictures were horrific from series 1 & 2. How about some nice 8x10 headshot pics??) But when you start to make bad frame and foil decisions, it mires the overall look of the card. I won't even go into detail how bad the back information on the cards is now. (Co-Star cards with no co-star information on the back?? Lazy!)

Also, I think it would be absurd that anyone suggest that barobehere purchase HOBBY packs of this release if there was obvious disappointment with retail packs. Different foil and/or cardstock AND a much higher price point will not fix an overall bad design. (Some of us cannot just fritter away money on high-end packs these days.) The series itself is not all bad. I reluctantly agree with Bryan that the Movie Poster relic cards are quite good, although having the swatches on the back of the card took some getting used to.

To barobehere: I suggest just picking up the cards you like on Ebay. (It's been working out great for me so far.)

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well you purchased a blaster, which the base and inserts are completely different than the hobby set. The hobby set is all foilboard, and very very nice.

The images ARE street shots, since Donruss would have to pay an unimaginable amount of money to get shots of these actors/personalities from the tv shows, movies ect that they are in. I suggest you pick up a Hobby box and see if your opinion changes, because the foil cards as well as the great insert sets (the movie poster is my favorite) make this a pretty good set IMO

I did not care for it. Why would I put more money into a set I sampled and dislike because there is a hobby foilboard version?

In my opinion this is a poorly made set, Hobby or Retail(And for the record I have looked at the hobby version since I made my purchase and my opinion that this is an unappealing set is still the same).

You tone of "well you purchased a blaster" implies that there is something wrong with blasters. Sometimes when you want to open packs and the nearest card shop is 100 miles away or ordering from a decent card dealer will take several days, you make do with what is available. Every pack purchase keeps the hobby alive.

As you suggested to me what to buy. Let me make a suggestion to you. Go find something you think looks like garbage and buy it(hey you can even buy garbage for all I care) and then spend money to buy more of it and see if your opinion changes?

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
and my opinion is still that complaining about a product based on a $20 retail purchase is absurd.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
and my opinion is still that complaining about a product based on a $20 retail purchase is absurd.

I believe that he DID state that he saw the hobby version of the cards and was STILL unimpressed. No matter how much money you throw at it, a bad design is a bad design. I'm curious how buying MORE of a product makes a poor product better. So, if I go see "Land of the Lost" MORE, the film itself will improve? Astounding.

Buying a $20 box (gasp! not a case??) should be a good indicator as to the quality of the product. Since he bought the $20 box AND saw what the more expensive hobby versions looked like, I think barobehere has the right to offer his opinion and critique of the product. (Complain or not complain.) We all can't throw down disposable cash for multiple cases or high-end hobby packs. The $20 blaster box buyers (BBB) should have a say as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mintoncard,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I dont have the money for it either, but I did save and purchased two boxes and loved all of the inserts and base. my only complaint is the reused images, but there aren't a ton of those.

Using your land of the lost reference, if you only go see 10 minutes of Land of the Lost, you have no right to tell people if it is good or bad, just like opening a $20 watered down retail box of 6 packs of the product.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont have the money for it either, but I did save and purchased two boxes and loved all of the inserts and base. my only complaint is the reused images, but there aren't a ton of those.

Using your land of the lost reference, if you only go see 10 minutes of Land of the Lost, you have no right to tell people if it is good or bad, just like opening a $20 watered down retail box of 6 packs of the product.

Believe me sir, after FIVE minutes of Land of the Lost I knew it was bad.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

LMAO. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:

, you have no right to tell people if it is good or bad, just like opening a $20 watered down retail box of 6 packs of the product.

You only bought two boxes which is no where near a full set of Americana III cards. So you can not give an positive/negative review using your nonsense logic because you do not have even a base set or even a variety of all the chase cards.

I like everyone else here can voice their opinion if they buy one pack or a thousand packs of a product. I don't like this product. I have the right to say it sticks from what I have seen. If you like it that is your choice. You are not going to change my mind.

However, seeing that there is almost no box breakdown for this after two weeks of release. I would believe that people don't really like it.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I actually have a near complete base and chase set since my local shop has been keeping any base and chase that has been opened at their store, so you are wrong yet again.

Like I said, your $20 retail opinion does not matter to me. ***** just like every other person on this site. That is all anyone comes on here to do anymore. I can't find a single thread where people are not bitching about a product.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

That literally sums up the exact reason why I cannot stand you. You judge based on a breakdown or two, or a couple minutes of a movie. Thank you for confirming your ridiculous complaining doesn't just stop with cards