Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Donruss Americana, 2009 (Donruss)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donruss Americana, 2009 (Donruss)
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Hey guys, another newbie here, nice to meet all of you!

Don't see anything on the new 2009 Donruss Americana, just released on 06/03/09. Same type of deal as the last two series from 2007 and 2008. One box contains four packs with a materials swatch or autograph per pack.

Was able to pick up a box and a pack, cool thing is that Donruss dropped the pack price down to $25 as opposed to $40-50 like it was last year and the cards are beautiful!

Here's the contents and I will put up scans later on this weekend.

Julia Louis Dreyfus (Private Signings) Auto #d/5
Marcia Gay-Harden (Private Signings) Auto #d/50
Erin Gray (Private Signings) Auto #d/50
Douglas Fairbanks Jr. (Hollywood Legends Swatch) #d/500
Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn (Movie Poster Memorabilia-Philadelphia Story) Double Swatch #d/500

Again very nice cards compared to last years and the movie poster cards are very cool, can't wait to get more. Anybody else cracking into these??

Have a good one!! Wavey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 2 | Location: California | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
Nice to meet you,and welcome to Card Talk! Wave
Nice break on that box.

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Welcome Shaun!
I opened 2 packs of these:
Pack #1420712
3 base cards
1 Gold Proof (31/50)
1 Movie Poster 145/500 Charlie Chaplin swatch

Pack #1410412
3 base cards
1 TV Stars (930/1000)
1 Private Signings Yancy Butler (83/106)

Even though these come in a cardboard package, the size of a CD, there was still a spacer card in the pack with the autograph. The base cards are foil, with a silver background. I don't think that is an improvement over last year's design, but the border and layout is nicer. I was surprised to see the Niecy Nash card, #79, has the exact same image as her card in series 2. Are Niecy's photos so rare we have to use the same one?

On the plus side, the Movie Posters cards are real nice, with a full bleed poster on one side, and the back has the swatch. The reduced price is nice too. Has anyone seen these in retail versions yet?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's my first box break of 2009 Americana. I'm not too happy with this year's autograph lineup, so I'm not sure how many I'm going to buy of these.

William Forsythe cinema stars director's cut auto #ed to 25
William Forsythe cinema stars superstars material #ed to 25
Alan Ladd hollywood legend silver screen material #ed to 100
Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn movie posters dual material #ed to 500

Posts: 649 | Location: California | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I visited another shop near me that carries these. He is collecting them himself, and has found some nice items. He was surprised the other dealer was selling packs, since he had just boxes for sale. I offered to buy one pack from him, so he opened a box and offered me my choice of packs.

I paid my money and opened up my pack, with 4 other guys there watching, and got the best Americana card I ever pulled.

Cinema Stars Director's Cut (Cut Signature) 5/25

David Carradine

He signed "David Carradine" and below that "Grasshopper"

This would have been a great card at any time, but in light of his recent passing, is much more special.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
That has to be the greatest "pull" ever. Thanks for sharing, now if you could post a pic, it would make this ole fan of David's really happy. Thanks again. Thumb Up

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don. . .

Glad you pulled that Carradine -- I was in your neck of the woods today and the dealer told me about your pull.

I'd love to see a scan.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
A very bittersweet pull if there ever was one.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I agree, I should post an image of this one - I have been on Card Talk for years, but never posted a pic. Let me look around here and see if I can find the info on how to post an image.

Jon - didn't know you stopped by Dreams and Heroes - too bad I missed you.

Just an update - sorry a pic is not to be - I started fiddling around with the scanner and found out our scanner hasn't been working.

I feel very lucky to have pulled this card, it's the big hit I've been hoping for from Americana

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Norton,

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I stop at Dreams and Heroes and Al and Ann's when I'm in the area. . . Sad to see Al and Ann's selection down to almost nothing.

Picked up the other 2 packs out of that box and pulled a Donna Reed costume (that I traded back), and a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie poster/costume + a proof card.

If you ever decided to trade . . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Gang,
I busted four boxes yesterday. Here are the goods:

Marilyn Monroe Relic /50
Patrick Stewart Relic/Auto /100
Alan Ladd Jumbo Relic /25
Burt Lancaster / Telly Savalas Dual Relic /100
William Forsythe Relic/Auto /100
David Carradine Auto /10
Tab Hunter Relic/Auto /100
Gary Cooper / Teresa Wright Dual Relic /500
Frank Sinatra / Janet Leigh Dual Relic /500
Spencer Tracy / Katharine Hepburn Dual Relic /500
Cary Grant / Katharine Hepburn Dual Relic /500
Tyrone Power Relic /500
Carole Lombard Relic /500
Edd “Kookie” Byrnes Auto /50
John C. McGinley Auto /50
Eddie Deezen Auto /250

Not bad. I did see a Stan Laurel Cut Signature 1/1. It was from a case break at the shop.

Later All,
Submarine Shane

Posts: 12 | Location: NC | Registered: April 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Very nice pulls Don and Shane on the Carradine autos Thumb Up

Shane, what part of North Carolina are you located in?

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Eddie Deezen! LOL! That's awesome! Please post a picture if you can!

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i bought two boxes
box 1
Cinema star Gary sinise 830/1000
TV star Charlene Tilton 832/1000
Hollywood Legends Alan Ladd 93/1000
proff Alessandro Nivola 48/50
hollywood legends swatch Hedy Lamarr 217/500
hollywood legends swatch George Raft 04/60
Movie poster north bt northwest cary grant and james mason 241/500 (really happy with this card since i am a big Hitchcock fan)
saved the best for last
tv stars directors cut Vicki Lawrence 10/10 with mama in quotes

box 2 i only opened two packs bc i want to let my mom open the other two but i wont see her till the weekend so we will see if i can hold off on them but the two packs i did open
were
cinema stars Goldie Hawn 747/1000
proof robert vaughn 03/50
movie poster manchurian candidate 20/500
hollywood legends swatch alan ladd 91/400

i have not see any retail boxes in walmart or target is there a differnt release date for them

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last two packs Natalie Zea auto/swatch 50/100
and tv stars jon provost auto/swatch 98/100

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the retail boxes in my local Walmart or Target either; did someone know any other place may sell those boxes or are they out already?? Because I will like to have a chance to try to get a Ric Flair auto since that is exclusive to retail. Confused Confused

Posts: 90 | Location: california | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Went to the show hoping to pick up a box of Razor Ink Archives, but they didn't have any so I settled for this.

1 box of Americana 2009:

Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn movie posters material #ed to 500
Burt Lancaster/Telly Savalas co-stars material #ed to 250
Corbin Bleu auto #ed to 250
Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs auto #ed to 250

Not very happy with the break. No low numbered cards and nothing worth more than $20 or so.

Everything's for trade. (Looking for celebrity autos in trade.)

Posts: 649 | Location: California | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
I broke 3 boxes at a show today the summ total follows (not broken down by box)

Movie Posters Costumes
5 Humphrey Bogart/Katherine Hepburn 85/250
22 Charlie Chaplin/Claudette Colbert 421/500
24 Montgomery Clift/Elizabeth Taylor 103/250

Hollywood Legends Costumes
8 Vivien Leigh 161/500
11 Donna Reed 366/500
19 Redd Foxx Silver Screen 93/100 (interesting varient that I will add a scan of later) Thumb Up

Private Signings Autos
14 Eddie Deezen 194/250
35 Marc McClure 175/250
52 George Romero 36/50 Thumb Up
57 Geoff Stults 49/428

TV Stars Auto/Costume
2 Sofia Milos 87/100

Cinema Stars Auto/Costume
15 Burt Reynolds 49/50 Thumb Up

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Retail Bonus Box at Wal-Mart...

8 packs, 5 cards each
1 Poster Costume 37/500 Fred Astaire
1 Proof #76 68/100
39 coms, no dupes

Overall C.

Common design not as eye catching as DonrussII, and there are some repeat pics from DA2. Plus, the proof card was barely discernable from the commons. Maybe the hobby version is better?

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Like x-time, I picked a retail blaster box, this one at Target.

got:
1 Cinema Stars Swatch 41/250 William Forsyth
1 Hollywood Legends 296/1000 Redd Foxx
39 Base cards

It looks like the inserts in the retail packs will not be different from the Hobby inserts. If you recall, retail inserts in Americana 2 were often not numbered.
I am not a big fan of mirrorboard finishes, so I think the retail product looks better than the hobby version. The hobby ones are darker and the shiny foil shows fingerprints too well.

I plan to concentrate on the retail cards first, I have completed retail and hobby sets for Americana 1 and 2, but these I may just do the retail.