Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 3D (Topps)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 3D (Topps)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Case break from me soon. Fingers crossed for an autograph or a Sean Pence, or a Doug Cowan (like the incredible IG-88 above), or one of those cool Ted Dastick video game screen cards.
Ted's wonderful trend of new ideas for his sketch cards has continued here,

Wow, thanks for the compliment! Being mentioned in the same sentence as Sean or Doug is truly an honor. Smile

Sorry to say I only did that one lone Atari card. I didn't think it would go over as well as it did (let alone be approved), it was really just something I did for myself.

Thanks again! Hopefully if you pull any of my other sketch cards you'll be just as satisfied. I didn't do too many. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ted Dastick Jr.,

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
The Background is of the sterilization tunnel luke walks through when he enters the chamber to begin his duel with vader. It lights up when he steps in, and then as he exits it quickly locks behind him and we know he is trapped with vader.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I opened three boxes, got 3 base sets, and 3 sketches. Here are sketches:

Robert Teranishi (Luke on Dagabah - I always like a Teranishi sketch.):

Lauren Perry (Mynock):

Irma Ahmed (Luke):

Nice cards. I am glad a 3d set was released.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Case break from me soon. Fingers crossed for an autograph or a Sean Pence, or a Doug Cowan (like the incredible IG-88 above), or one of those cool Ted Dastick video game screen cards.
Ted's wonderful trend of new ideas for his sketch cards has continued here,

Wow, thanks for the compliment! Being mentioned in the same sentence as Sean or Doug is truly an honor. Smile

Sorry to say I only did that one lone Atari card. I didn't think it would go over as well as it did (let alone be approved), it was really just something I did for myself.

Thanks again! Hopefully if you pull any of my other sketch cards you'll be just as satisfied. I didn't do too many. Smile

No problem, Ted, all artists who think outside the box to deliver something truly unique to collectors deserve praise, and again, you are certainly among them. I wasn't lucky enough to get one of your cards, but I did get a Dos Santos, and sure enough he knocked it out of the park. Talk about taking advantage of the format!

And to zhamlau, thanks for the correction. There's actually a card of Luke standing in that chamber in the base set, with the lights lined up exactly as they are patterned on the sketch cards. Topps must really like that image as its also on one of the side panels of the box.

Double case break to follow!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Two cases for me.
16 boxes, 16 different sketches by 16 different artists. Each case made 11 base sets and I was able to put together all of the leftover cards to make a near set (42 of 48) and a partial set (about 30 of 48), with zero dupes remaining after that. Pretty close to A+ collation, I'd say.

There were no dud boxes and only 2-3 base cards were damaged (well, enough for me to notice anyway) from the two cases combined.

Had I known the autographs were so scarce when I pre-ordered, I probably would've only bought one case, being more of an autograph collector than a sketch collector. I didn't get any autographs in my cases, but considering they are found less than once in 1000 packs (WOW!), I only had about a 30% chance of finding one, despite opening 16 boxes, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Considering this is the pretty much the equivelent of the Star Wars 30th set from 3 years ago, I feel the autograph lineup should've been bigger for this set which is likely the only one that will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of Empire's original release. I would've also been happier if the autos were every other box in place of the sketch card, as was the case with Star Wars 30. Original buy-back Empire cards with the gold 30th anniversary seal would've been another nice touch and definitely the base set could've used at least one multi-motion chase card as seen in the both previous Star Wars 3D series. (Just a few images from Empire that could've been used to outstanding effect include Yoda raising Luke's X-Wing, AT-AT walkers on Hoth, Vader deflectiong Solo's blasts, Luke's hand flying off still clutching the Anakin's original lightsaber, even Han slicing open the tauntaun to keep Luke warm. Oh well, there must have been a reason not to issue a motion card this time).

It is nice to see they've once again affixed actual 3D cards (well, blank backed stickers) to the box lid, after not doing it on the Phantom Menace 3D boxes. This time out, I got 16 different images on my boxes, although they are sometime affixed a bit haphazardly (maybe that's why Topps delayed the release by a few weeks, to add these to the boxes?) I seem to remember there were 24 different ones used for the Star Wars 3Di boxes. I wonder how many for this new Empire set. Can anyone who's seen a retail box let me know if those have them as well? I did see one a few weeks ago, but can't remember if it had the 3D image on it or not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
The Target box I saw had the 3D card affixed to the box lid. Nice sketches! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Gret cards, Chesspieceface. If you don't keep the Lord Mesa, shoot me an email.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Heres my two box break:

A very cool Dan Bergren Snowtrooper and a Amazing Robert Hendrickson Darth Vader.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice Vader! Creepy! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
1 HOBBY box...
24 packs, 3 cards each
1 complete base set, 23 extras
1 sketch card

Overall C+/C
Pros: Card backs, and most front images look pretty sharp. One complete set.
Cons: 1 hit per box, unless you get real lucky. This release should have had at least one more common level of chase 1:4 or 1:6, and the autograph odds far more reasonable 1:72.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 2 more

JOHN SOUKUP
Snow Walker battle scene on Hoth, lots of paint, nice card

BRIAN ROOD
Cool Darth Vader in the patented Rood style

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Scored on another retail pull, this masterpiece by Joe Corroney, of Boba, no less!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Out of this world Batman,congrats Thumb Up

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Opened 4 boxes of my case today. The base set is awesome, but the sketch cards are average at best. It cost me £88+ to get them through customs, so I am a little mixed about this set. It's probably my last case for a while.

Should have bought the base set off ebay for $20 and bought a nice sketch for $400+, I would have been much happier, and saved $200!!

I am off on holiday soon, so I will open the remainder when I get back.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Trade me a base set Steve. Wavey

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me the name of the artist of this sketch?

Thanks

http://i242.photobucket.com/al...eyes9/scan0001-3.jpg

Posts: 34 | Location: Richmond, Va | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the scan:

Posts: 34 | Location: Richmond, Va | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
That one would be Clay McCormack.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Didn't buy a lot of this set, only 2 hobby boxes. Got 1 great pull, 1 meh pull IMO. Then I got lucky with a nice retail sketch by Sarah Wilkinson! Here's the pics

The Base set is great, collation not so great. I've bought a handful of retail packs at various Targets and this was the only love I got. But I got 1 Red card so I think I'm content lol.

I LOVE the detail and color on the Farber sketch! But it pains me that it's a 4 piece puzzle. It's currently up in my ebay store, or if anyone wants to work out a trade it's available since I know I'll never complete the puzzle.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
Opened 4 boxes of my case today. The base set is awesome, but the sketch cards are average at best. It cost me £88+ to get them through customs, so I am a little mixed about this set. It's probably my last case for a while.

Should have bought the base set off ebay for $20 and bought a nice sketch for $400+, I would have been much happier, and saved $200!!

I am off on holiday soon, so I will open the remainder when I get back.

As I would do if I were still collecting Topps or SW. Live and learn!

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post