Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Buffy Big Bads (Inkworks)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffy Big Bads (Inkworks)
 Login/Join

Picture of phoenix
posted
Could not resist picking up a box at Memorabilia despite havng some on pre-order.
Breakdown as follows.

1 Basic 72 card set (2 cards short of a second)
BL3 box topper
Seasons of Evil SE7, SE8
The Other Side OS4, OS5
Pieceworks PW1 Spike T-shirt

The cards are not nearly as nice as the previous Connections set.
They are very reminiscent of Alias seaon 1 featuring the same orange/red colouring.
The 9 card Seasons of Evil puzzle set are disappointingly identical in colouring to the base cards. The 6 card Other side set however is stunning, very much like Connections, and the pieceworks cards are also very impressive.
Interesting to note that the cards already show slight signs of curling.

Posts: 109 | Location: UK | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
Picked up a box this afternoon at Memorabilia and got the following:

Box No 01067

Box Loader BL1
Seasons of Evil SE5, SE6
The Other Side OS2 (Angelus), OS3 (The Mayor)
Pieceworks PW3 (D'hoffryn)

Had my fingers crossed for a Dru or Spike Pieceworks but I never seem to get what I want out of the boxes I buy.

Also, card of the year so far has to be base set #67 - Bunnies Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: QBall,

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Hi, welcome to cardtalk. Wavey

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Can you do a scan of bunnies?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
OK, so far we've had two boxes which have each had 2 "The Other Side" cards in. With 24 packs per box and an insert ratio of 1:17, are these two just lucky boxes, or did the ratios change?

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sketch
posted Hide Post
i want to ask the same question Wink

with two other side cards per box the ratio would be more like 1:14 as 1:17.

I wondering why Inkworks wrote on the homepage that the ratio for Buffy is 1:17 and the Charmed Connection have for the puzzle 1:14

After this two box breakdowns it seems Buffy Puzzle Cards have 1:14 too but i think we must wait before we can be sure.

Posts: 192 | Location: Germany | Registered: March 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
2 boxes is waaaay too early to speculate. 1:17 is pretty much 1.5 per box so every 2nd box should have 2 in it.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sketch
posted Hide Post
Smile yes it is too early but only sitting and waiting for my boxes makes sick. Then its better to speculate a little and wait for other box breakdowns Drool

Posts: 192 | Location: Germany | Registered: March 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
1 base set with 3 cards short of a 2nd.
Box loader BL1
1 Other Side card OS-4 (Glory)
1 pieceworks card PW5 (Halfrek)
3 Seasons of Evil- SE1, 8, 9

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
2 boxes from my friendly local dealer.

Box 1

Box Loader BL3
Seasons of Evil- SE-8, SE-9
The Other Side- OS-2 (Angelus)
Pieceworks- PW-6 Warren's Jacket

Box 2

Box Loader- BL2
Seasons of Evil- SE-1, SE-9
The Other Side- OS-5 (Dark Willow), OS-6 (Caleb)
Pieceworks- PW-1 Spike's Shirt

Got 2 complete sets with 3 missing for a 3rd and 8 short of a 4th. My local dealer also included a P1 and P2 so when mu P3's arrive I'm just left with getting a P-UK. Smile

All in all a nice set and I'm happy with my 2 boxes.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
Case Breakdown

Comments: Very slippery cards... Big Grin They are, I think, just a bit *too* orange, and the9 card puzzle isn't nearly as attractive as it could have been as a result. It really needs more colour. The Other Side cards are by far the most attractive of the inserts, with the Box Loaders close behind. The costume cards are, in the main, uniform, but I could after two or three boxes pretty much go straight to them in the box, so I reckon cherry picking a single box shouldn't be too hard. The caseloader is orange with a foil overstamp thingy (I'll try and scan it shortly) but as Olly says elsewhere, this set will be tough to photograph well... Overall, I'd give it a 7, not nearly as pretty as Connections, but better than Season 4 or 5 in terms of overall content.

Right, down to the breakdowns:

Box #02630
BL2
SE7
OS-3
PW1

Box #02631
BL3
SE4, 5
OS-1, 2
PW4

Box #02632
BL1
SE2
OS-6
PW3

Box #02633
BL2
SE8, 9
OS-4, 5
PW6

Box #02634
BL3
SE6, 7
OS-3
PW7

Box #02635
BL1
SE4, 5
OS-2
PW5

Box #02636
BL2
SE3
OS-1, 6
PW4

Box #02637
BL3
SE1, 2, 9
OS-5
PW3

Box #02638
BL1
SE7, 8
OS-3, 4
PW7

Box #02630
BL2
SE7
OS-3
PW1

Box #02639
BL2
SE5, 6
OS-2
PW6

Box #02640
BL3
SE3, 4
OS-1
PW1

Box #02641
BL1
SE1, 2
OS-5, 6
PW4

So, I make that 4 sets of Box Loaders, 2 sets of The Other Side (missing 1 card for a third set) 2 sets of Seasons of Evil (missing 3 cards for a third set) and at least one set of Costumes minus the card I *knew* I'd have no chance of getting...

Cards for trade will be going up on my site shortly...

[EDIT: One case also yielded 22 base sets, or 1.83 basic sets per box. I am one card short of set 23]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xSaBx,

Crunchy on the Outside,
Smooth on the Inside:
Armadillos!

REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Case Breakdown

Boxes are listed as opened, rather than in sequence

Box 3468
BL 2
SE 5,6
OS 5,6
PW 5 Halfrek (plain red)

Box 3470
BL 1
SE 1,2
OS 3
PW 2 Dru (various reds / black & thicker) Elephant Elephant

Box 3459
BL 2
SE 7,6
OS 6
PW 1 Spike (plain black)

Box 3463
BL 3
SE 6,7,8
OS 1,6
PW 4 Adam (textured brown)

Box 3465
BL 2
SE 2,3
OS 4
PW 7 Lissa (plain black)

Box 3461
BL 1
SE 2,5
OS 3,5
PW 6 Warren (plain black)

Box 3467
BL 1
SE 7,8
OS 1
PW 4 Adam (textured green)

Box 3469
BL 3
SE 3,4
OS 4
PW 3 D'hoffryn (purpleish textured)

Box 3466
BL 3
SE 1,9
OS 2,3
PW 4 Adam (black / green)

Box 3462
BL 2
SE 1,9
OS 2
PW 7 Lissa (plain black)

Box 3460
BL 3
SE 3,4
OS 4
PW 7 Lissa (plain black)

Box 3464
BL 1
SE 4,5
OS 5
PW 5 Halfrek (plain red)

SUMMARY
BL - 4 sets
SE - 2 sets + 7
OS - 2 sets + 4
PW1 - 1
PW2 - 1
PW3 - 1
PW4 - 3
PW5 - 2
PW6 - 1
PW7 - 3

Posts: 168 | Location: Green Hammerton, Yorkshire, UK | Registered: November 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sketch
posted Hide Post
First Case

Box: 7217

BL: 3
SE: 1,2
PW: 2
unbelievable the first box got that great card

Box: 7121

SE: 4,5
PW: 4 (green)

Box: 7122

BL: 1
SE: 2,3
PW: 3

Box: 7124

SE: 7,8
PW: 7 (pants)

Box: 7129

BL: 2
SE: 6,7

Box: 7132

SE: 8,9
PW: 6

Box: 7123

SE: 1,9
PW: 1 (Spike yeahhh)

Box: 7125

SE: 5,6

Box: 7128

Box: 7126

SE: 3,4

Box: 7130

PW: 4 (khaki)

Box: 7131

SE: 1,2,3

Picture of COSMIC GIRL
posted Hide Post
I got my first 2 boxes today and this is how they broke down :
Box one
BL 2
SE 4,5
OS 1 and 2 The Master and Angel
PW 4 Adam (Black & Khaki, with some type of stitching holes running across it)
Box two
BL 3
SE 8,9
OS 4 Glory
PW 5 Halfrek (plain red)

Overall I am happy with the p/w cards so far, although I really want the Spike card (I know Dru is unobtainable, therefore that one is out of the equation). One thing is for sure, I do not want another Adam or a collection of the many variants for the combat pants!!!!
The Other Side inserts look stunning, but the Seasons Of Evil puzzle set is not to be blunt - it looks exactly the same as the base set and therefore does not look like a chase set to me.
The Box Loader cards are cool in green and are a very welcome change to the orange theme.
The base set is nice, although as already said in this thread the orange is on over kill in this set. I think there are some new scene images not used by Inkworks before in previous sets, ands I like the look of the back of the cards, with great character quotes. I also like the way the 8 main characters are split into the 9 card subsets - looks good in the binder pages, much like Connections & Relections.
As far as some of the Big Bad characters, I was a little disappointed to see some of the lesser villians included - for example Loam Shark from Tabula Rasa, Justin from All The Way, Chumash Warrior from Pangs - they weren't Big Bads to me. I would have much prefered more cards featuring Dru, Darla, Master, The Gentlemen, even Vamp Willow would have been nice to see(and where is the Judge & Anyanka ?) , but maybe that is just a personal thing rather then a criticism.
The look of the p/w cards work well - the vertical format is effective, although why a picture of Adams head & chest is on P/W 4 and you cannot see his pants I don't know.
In summary -
the jury is still out on whether this set lives up to the hype, although based on Ebay prices of all cards, apart from Dru top & Lissa's red top, it shows the prices are less than what I paid for a box. The set for me is mssing a parallel set in a more pleasing colour to the eyes.
I also think that Inkworks did such an amazing job with the Connections set last year that any foil set that follows will always be compared and inevitably fall short of that set.
I would like to see the next special set break away from any previous formats. The Women Of Sunnydale certainly shouldn't dissapoint, and in that set maybe we can all get a Dru P/W for our collections !, but please, please Inkworks - don't go with this mirror foil "You've been tangoed" effect for anymore Buffy or Angel sets, please....Maybe a darker purple & silver would have looked cool ?

Posts: 346 | Location: KENT UK | Registered: September 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
my one little box!
Bl1
Se3-glory se5-buffy
Os1 master Os2-angelus
PW-7 Lissa-Red Crop top variant!

Very pleased! I really like the look and feel of this set. The "too Orange" view is not my view. This set looks great!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sketch
posted Hide Post
Case two

Box: 6625

SE: 1,9
PW: 1 (black with a brighter stripe)

Box: 6623

Box: 6622

SE: 6,7,8
PW: 1

Box: 6615

SE: 3,4
PW: 4 (green khaki)

Box: 6617

Box: 6616

SE: 1,2

Box: 6621

SE: 9,1
PW: 6

Box: 6620

PW: 2 Again YUHUUU

Box: 6618

SE: 6,7
PW: 5

Box: 6624

PW: 4 (brown)

Box: 6619

PW: 4 (khaki black)

Box: 6614

PW: 5

So 2 Drus in 2 Cases. No red Lissa but i got 2 full master sets out of two cases. Not bad i think Bouncey

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Well done Sketch Clap

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maxpower03
posted Hide Post
I got my box today...

2 Base Sets
SE6 (Sweet)
SE7 (The Master)
SE9 (Jonathan)
OS1 (The Master)
PW: D'Hoffryn Smile

An OK box but no Dru (which is not at all surprising) Frown
I agree that the set is a bit orange overkill though.

Posts: 106 | Location: UK | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
My 2 boxes:

Box 1
PW1 - Spike T-shirt (The one I REALLY wanted!!) Bouncey Elephant
OS1 (Master), OS2 (Angelus)
SE8, SE9
BL2

Box 2
PW6 - Warren's Jacket (neat material)
OS3 (Mayor)
SE1, SE2
BL1

My thoughts on this set -
I REALLY like the openings for the material on the PW cards. Very different than the regular circle/square/octagon that I've seen.

The Other Side chase are AWESOME!! I really love them! I am looking forward to collecting these cards.

The Seasons of Evil blended into the base cards too much - I passed on them by accident a couple of times.

The box loaders are a nice color compared the the orange of the base set.

The orange... I feel it IS a bit much, but on the other hand it does set this set apart from the rest of the Buffy sets.

Overall - I really love this set. I am so happy that I got the Spike T-shirt! That is the 1 that I wanted (besides the Dru Shirt).

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lapis
posted Hide Post
Box #4617

One base set plus the extra
BL1
SE7
SE8
OS4
PW3

Posts: 87 | Location: Knoxville, TN, USA | Registered: March 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got my case yesterday and the highlights out of it are:

- Dru piecework
- Red Lissa variant

The only piecework I didn't get was the Halfrek one - but not really to concerned about that after what I DID get.

Sarah

Posts: 833 | Location: Melbourne, VIC. Australia | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post