Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    American Horror Story 2014 Comic-Con 5x7 Sketch Mystery Packs (Breygent, 2014)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Horror Story 2014 Comic-Con 5x7 Sketch Mystery Packs (Breygent, 2014)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
Here is my American Horror Story 2014 Comic-Con 5x7 Sketch card from the large sized Comic-Con Mystery Pack.

I was only able to get one (and that's because Tom was nice enough to put one aside for me, these sold out at pre-sale, if I'm not mistaken). This is from an artist new to sketch cards, I think, but he's not new to painting, that's for sure! Terrific work on this one, featuring one of the hapless guests of the seconds season's "Asylum".

There is also a 5x7 Promo card in each pack which reproduces one of the painted art sketch cards with some embossing. There are four different of these promos, with three of them featuring cards whose originals were also placed into the packs. One of the reproduced cards was an artist proof, so that original went back to the artist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! Do you know who the artist is?

Overall, the sketches I've seen have been extremely high-quality. Kudos to Tom for putting out such a outstanding set.

Will post my pulls later tonight, after work.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The artist is Del Perry Nayra

Here's the back showing his signature for those who might have one by him as well:

A dealer had a couple more by this same artist priced at $139 each, and worth it! One was Sarah Paulson and it was a spot-on likeness of her while the other was the iconic white statue with the bleeding eyes, creepy, but beautifully rendered.

The problem was by Sunday, I couldn't afford the sealed AHS 5x7 sketch pack he still had (for $79) which I wanted, let alone a sketch (painting is more accurate, really) for almost double that. If I had the money, I might've been able to talk him down $10 or $20, but I'd have been embarrassed to even do that. They were both amazing, especially the Paulson painting.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are my pulls from the AHS Asylum 5x7 SDCC sketch packs:

Jennifer Mercer, Chadwick Haverland

Wu Wei, Ken Meyer Jr.

I really hesitate to call these sketch cards as they are really miniature pieces of fine art. The scans don't really do them justice, especially in the case of Chad's and Jennifer's cards. There are a lot of subtle details that I don't think the scanner picked up. Tom, you really outdid yourself with this release! Thumb Up

The promos are really cool, too. I got AHSW2 (x2), AHSW3 and AHSDD. Not bad only getting one duplicate. If anyone wants to trade their AHSW1 (the White Nun) for an AHSW2 (the Doctor) let me know! Wave

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Awesome, Debi! Good for you on these.
Jen Mercer has always done excellent work. I have a couple of pencil and ink sketch cards by her that that have literally thousands of lines on them, but she's kicked it up even a notch over that on these. She definitely brings the effort every time.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Awesome, Debi! Good for you on these.
Jen Mercer has always done excellent work. I have a couple of pencil and ink sketch cards by her that that have literally thousands of lines on them, but she's kicked it up even a notch over that on these. She definitely brings the effort every time.

Thanks Rudy! I wasn't familiar with her work before this but after I deciphered her signature (with Tom's help, lol) I looked her up. She is most definitely talented and I'll be keeping an eye out for her work in the future! Thumb Up

FYI - still looking to trade my extra ASHW2 promo for an ASHW1 promo! Bouncey Sheep Big Grin