Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Umbrella Academy Season One (Rittenhouse Archives, 2020)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/7147050496

August 01, 2020, 05:50 PM
Raj
Umbrella Academy Season One (Rittenhouse Archives, 2020)
Autos:
Colm Feore
Cody Ray Thompson
Jordan Claire Robbins
Emmy Raver-Lampman

Relics: RC1, RC6
Acetate: PC7
TN1, TN3 (x2), M1, M4, M7, Q3, Q9, Q10
Sketch: Bill Crabb
The box with the sketch had 2 autos
August 02, 2020, 01:33 PM
barobehere
Very nice! I hope to be as lucky when my boxes arrive!
August 03, 2020, 07:31 AM
AJJ
One box:

One base set + spares
Character Poster: PR7 Vanya
Quotable: Q5
Heist at the Musuem: M5
Then and Now: TN5- No.6

Auto: Sean Sullivan as Older Number Five
Relic: RC1 Luthor Hargreeves

August 03, 2020, 09:01 PM
barobehere
My two boxes arrived!
Box 0149
1 Base set +
Heist at the Museum: M7
Quotable: Q6 Ben
Then and Now TN1 Luther
PC1 Luther (1 every other box)
Autos: Cameron Britton as Hazel and Rainbow Sun Francks at Detective Beamen

Box 0779
Base set 1+ (Both boxes made a complete 3rd set)
Heist at the Museum: M4
Quotable Q7 Vanya
Then and Now: TN7 Vanya
PC5 Number 5 AND PC9 Cha Cha (1 every other box and got 2 in one box)
Auto: T.J. McGibbon as Young Vanya
Sketch: 1 every other case
Danny Hayman
AND Jason Saldajeno
Two(2) sketches in one box!!!!!!
August 08, 2020, 01:07 PM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

Sketch: 1 every other case
Danny Hayman
AND Jason Saldajeno
Two(2) sketches in one box!!!!!!

You did VERY well
August 14, 2020, 06:18 AM
mykdude
Got my usual experience when buying boxes. Could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere. Still, I really like the set.

Here are the break downs.

2693 of 3000
1 complete 63 card base set and approx 50 cards of a second. Numbers indicate roughly a total of 5,500 base sets produced.
M5 Heist at the Museum. 1 in 24 Approx 450 sets produced
TN4 Then and Now - Klaus 1 in 24 Approx 450 sets produced
Ethan Hawng (Young Ben) Autograph EL
Zachary Bennett (Lance Biggs) Autograph VL
No Quotable card 1 in 24 Approx 250 sets produced.

2692 of 3000
Base set
M6 Heist at the Museum
TN3 Then and Now - Allison
Blake Talabis - (Young Diego) Autograph VL
RC4 - Klaus Relic VL
Q1 Luthor

1850 of 3000
Base set
M7 Heist at the Museum
TN5 Then and Now - Number 5
Jordan Claire Robbins (Grace) Autograph EL
RC5 - Number 5 Relic VL
Q2 Diego

August 14, 2020, 12:53 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Got my usual experience when buying boxes. Could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere. Still, I really like the set.

If you are interested in a title, its difficult NOT to go in for a couple boxes. You will get the set and a shot at pulling a big hit you might not want to buy for yourself, whether it's because you can't afford it or you just think its too stupid to pay that much for a card. You have to have fun if its your hobby and breaking packs is still fun. Smile

What RA needs to stop doing is producing these smallish base sets that leave you with double digit duplicates in a box, but also have multiple rarer insert sets that you get 1 or 2 cards from in a box. If you aren't going to pull a big hit, which let's face it you probably won't, the two common hits won't support it with the number of extra cards you are getting that serve no purpose except to fill the pack up.

RA thinks that giving you a common signer with an EL quantity means something. It doesn't, it's still a common hit with common demand, especially because we have lost the master collector you needed everything.

How about adding a third hit or even fourth hit? How about a 90 card base again? Once card collectors stop buying boxes, you are looking at a completely different hobby and I hope card makers realize that before it happens.
August 14, 2020, 03:39 PM
rwn410
One box for me as well:

Character Poster: PC6 (Ben)
Quotable: Q11 (Grace)
Heist at the Museum: M3 (Diego)
Then and Now: TN1 (Luther)
Relic: RC4 (Klaus)
Autograph: T J McGibbon (Young Vanya)

Nice to open a box of something for the first time in a long while!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,
August 14, 2020, 04:26 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
If you are interested in a title, its difficult NOT to go in for a couple boxes. You will get the set and a shot at pulling a big hit you might not want to buy for yourself, whether it's because you can't afford it or you just think its too stupid to pay that much for a card. You have to have fun if its your hobby and breaking packs is still fun. Smile

What RA needs to stop doing is producing these smallish base sets that leave you with double digit duplicates in a box, but also have multiple rarer insert sets that you get 1 or 2 cards from in a box. If you aren't going to pull a big hit, which let's face it you probably won't, the two common hits won't support it with the number of extra cards you are getting that serve no purpose except to fill the pack up.

RA thinks that giving you a common signer with an EL quantity means something. It doesn't, it's still a common hit with common demand, especially because we have lost the master collector you needed everything.

How about adding a third hit or even fourth hit? How about a 90 card base again? Once card collectors stop buying boxes, you are looking at a completely different hobby and I hope card makers realize that before it happens.

That is one way to look at it. Maybe I should have said "gotten it cheaper elsewhere today"

I think I take more the approach that companies such as RA are producing some of the shortest print sets in history. I was talking with a friend this morning about remembering back when a rare insert was numbered 1 out of 10,000. Now we have base sets at nearly half that.

The great thing about this set is the potential of so many young and new actors. It truly is a wild card with a title that also is doing very well. To be honest I am very curious to see where this set will be in 10 or 15 years. Wink

True I will finish up some of the subsets on the secondary market but stuff like this and Lost in Space make the hobby fun both in title and collectible potential.

August 14, 2020, 05:04 PM
Raven
I have in-pack autograph cards from the '90s signed by comic artists that are numbered out of 10,000. Most are still readily available and quite cheap. Big Grin

There is no comparing non-sport print runs of today to that era, but where something will be in 10 or 15 years will always depend on its demand. A more limited print run increases the likelihood that demand won't be satisfied, but it won't create more demand if it has been satisfied.

Every TV show or movie has the same problem, interest will wane over time once it gets old or gets cancelled because others will take its place and most fans will own what they want already. If some young star breaks out later on, it may attract new buyers who up the demand and raise the price.

Lots of things are nutty in this hobby, but if you follow the history and are not fooled by the gimmicks, some principles, like you need enough demand and competition to outpace whatever the supply of something in order to maintain or increase value, really don't change. That's probably a universal truth for any type of collectible.
August 14, 2020, 07:22 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I have in-pack autograph cards from the '90s signed by comic artists that are numbered out of 10,000. Most are still readily available and quite cheap. Big Grin

There is no comparing non-sport print runs of today to that era, but where something will be in 10 or 15 years will always depend on its demand. A more limited print run increases the likelihood that demand won't be satisfied, but it won't create more demand if it has been satisfied.

Every TV show or movie has the same problem, interest will wane over time once it gets old or gets cancelled because others will take its place and most fans will own what they want already. If some young star breaks out later on, it may attract new buyers who up the demand and raise the price.

Lots of things are nutty in this hobby, but if you follow the history and are not fooled by the gimmicks, some principles, like you need enough demand and competition to outpace whatever the supply of something in order to maintain or increase value, really don't change. That's probably a universal truth for any type of collectible.

All true, still at the same time I have to wonder just how low a manufacturer can go to make the cost of the product license worth it?

I get that kid stars are a risk but there are several in this set that tends to make the collector grab all of them while the price is low. Plus I like the fact that I can do a digital presentation with all 3 Vanya's Cool

As far as raw numbers are concerned I would say that a set like this is close to one of the lowest end licensed collectibles available. I would say that there will be more Pop figures of each character than base cards.Will it ever be super valuable???? Ahhh only the mystery of collectibles can tell. Smokin'

August 15, 2020, 02:13 PM
Curler
I bought two boxes of this release. Each box had one base set, and I was able to build a third base set with the doubles.

Box 1524:
Then and Now TN3 Allison
Quotable Q8 Hazel
Heist at the Museum M3 Diego
Autograph Eden Cupid as Young Allison
Relic card RC2 Diego

Box 2336:
Then and Now TN4 Klaus
Quotable Q12 Pogo
Heist at the Museum M4 Ben
Autograph Peter Outerbridge as The Conductor
Autograph T.J. McGibbon as Young Vanya

I really like the cards. Rittenhouse did a good job putting it together. I do wish there had been 2 each of the Then and Now, Quotable and Heist chase cards.

The boxes are numbered of 3000.
October 26, 2020, 05:01 PM
Greg Geerts
Opened 2 boxes today...

Box 1 --
Character Poster: PC4 (Klaus)
Quotable: Q9 (Cha Cha)
Heist at the Museum: M1
Then and Now: TN5 (Five)
Autograph: Zachary Bennett as Lance Biggs
Autograph: Sheila McCarthy as Agnes (inscription - Coffee?)

Box 2 --
Character Poster: none
Quotable: Q5 (Five)
Heist at the Museum: M3
Then and Now: TN2 (Diego)
Autograph: Emily Piggford as Helen
Dual Autograph: Ethan Hwang as Young Ben / Dante Albidone as Young Klaus
Sketch Card by William Crabb

October 26, 2020, 05:28 PM
barobehere
Awesome Sketch!
October 26, 2020, 06:35 PM