Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Thor Ragnarok (Upper Deck, 2018)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thor Ragnarok (Upper Deck, 2018)
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
I had 6 boxes here after shipping out customer orders. They called to me and I gave in.

Impressions...
Base set is beautiful with foil on every card.
Even the Red and Blue Parallels look nice.
Inserts other than Behind the Lens will be difficult to put together. They didn't even fall 1 per box.

Now the part I hate: Buyer beware on single boxes. I had 2 boxes significantly short on hits. One that had more, and 3 average boxes.

Here's what I pulled, pretty much in order:

Box 1

Box 2

Box 3

Box 4

Box 5

Box 6

Last box was saving grace in a way, but I'm still 4 hits shy of what I should have received.

And no, I didn't rip the Dyson cards (yet) so there could be autos hiding in there as well.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I broke my two boxes and the cards are very nice indeed. All foil cards in base with parallels in unnumbered red and #1/199 blue.

I did beat the odds on hits. I came away with 1 Dyson rip card in each box. First box also had 2 dual costume and a single costume. Second box had 1 dual and 1 single. I didn't get a sketch or auto, but I don't know what's in the Dysons, I am afraid to rip them.

Here's the full breakdown . . .

Box #1:

6 Reds, 1 Blue, no duplicates, but only 39 different cards out of 50 card set.

Dyson D-33 Thor
Duals AD-3 Thor/Valkyrie and AD-5 Thor/Grandmaster
Single AS-15

Behind the Lens 2, 4, 15 and 18
Grandmaster's Contenders GC5 Loki

Box #2:

7 Reds, 0 Blue, several duplicates making it only 32 different cards out of the 50 possible.

Dyson D-13 Hulk
Dual AD-7 Heimdall/Hela
Single AS-13 Topaz

Behind the Lens 13, 14, 16 and 17
Mistress of Death MD2

So at the end of it, combining both boxes, I am still one card short of a complete base set, with 13 reds and 1 blue of other cards. The costume cards are very nice looking, but swatches are small.

As for the set composition, every pack with a costume or Dyson has only that one card in it, so even without duplicates you won't make a full set. Also there is only 2 cards with Hela pictured, besides on hits. The last quarter of the film is not represented at all and there is no text for anything near the end of the movie. This is surprising to me since the cards came out well after the movie, not prior to it.

So I think these cards are very sharp looking and I got an extra hit, but I really would have liked to pull an auto or sketch and not need a base card. The Dysons are a problem, could be an auto, but do I rip them? Not right now.

Happy with what I got all the same.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So I broke my two boxes and the cards are very nice indeed. All foil cards in base with parallels in unnumbered red and #1/199 blue.

I did beat the odds on hits. I came away with 1 Dyson rip card in each box. First box also had 2 dual costume and a single costume. Second box had 1 dual and 1 single. I didn't get a sketch or auto, but I don't know what's in the Dysons, I am afraid to rip them.

Here's the full breakdown . . .

Box #1:

6 Reds, 1 Blue, no duplicates, but only 39 different cards out of 50 card set.

Dyson D-33 Thor
Duals AD-3 Thor/Valkyrie and AD-5 Thor/Grandmaster
Single AS-15

Behind the Lens 2, 4, 15 and 18
Grandmaster's Contenders GC5 Loki

Box #2:

7 Reds, 0 Blue, several duplicates making it only 32 different cards out of the 50 possible.

Dyson D-13 Hulk
Dual AD-7 Heimdall/Hela
Single AS-13 Topaz

Behind the Lens 13, 14, 16 and 17
Mistress of Death MD2

So at the end of it, combining both boxes, I am still one card short of a complete base set, with 13 reds and 1 blue of other cards. The costume cards are very nice looking, but swatches are small.

As for the set composition, every pack with a costume or Dyson has only that one card in it, so even without duplicates you won't make a full set. Also there is only 2 cards with Hela pictured, besides on hits. The last quarter of the film is not represented at all and there is no text for anything near the end of the movie. This is surprising to me since the cards came out well after the movie, not prior to it.

So I think these cards are very sharp looking and I got an extra hit, but I really would have liked to pull an auto or sketch and not need a base card. The Dysons are a problem, could be an auto, but do I rip them? Not right now.

Happy with what I got all the same.

You can bet that there is an auto in one of those rip cards. In the case I broke three of the eight rip cards had creator autographs in them.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Nice cards. My favorite, of course, is the Chris Hemsworth autograph. I won't be doing them, too expensive and too impossible to complete.

Posts: 2505 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
You can bet that there is an auto in one of those rip cards. In the case I broke three of the eight rip cards had creator autographs in them.

Mind if I ask the best way to break them? It just says follow the lines. Does the card just snap along the lines or do you need a razor? Are there two or one card inside? It kind of looks like two sides, but I think there is only one card.

Never had an unopened Dyson before so, its not so much that I want to keep it mint, as it is I'm afraid of damaging everything trying to get it open. Seems silly not to know what hit you got, but you can't put the genie back in the lamp.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mind if I ask the best way to break them? It just says follow the lines. Does the card just snap along the lines or do you need a razor? Are there two or one card inside? It kind of looks like two sides, but I think there is only one card.

Never had an unopened Dyson before so, its not so much that I want to keep it mint, as it is I'm afraid of damaging everything trying to get it open. Seems silly not to know what hit you got, but you can't put the genie back in the lamp.

The ones I saw opened here at the shop were started with a razor knife then ripped open.

If it's a standard or acetate card, there is one card in there.
If it's an auto, there is the auto card and the COA card. Not room on the mini for the COA and the sticker.

Ed

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I used an Xacto knife to grab the tab at the top and peel it back. There are two flaps which sort of looks like a window opened out.
The mini is in a soft sleeve which is glued to one of the flaps you have to open so be careful when you open the flaps. You also need to be careful when taking the card out of the soft sleeve that you don't bang the corner taking it out. Not a lot of play getting the card out.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the instructions Ed and ifish.

I think its good to try something new with non-sport cards, but as these are being seeded as the premium hits, I really am reluctant to rip. I would just rather see the inner card in the pack without having to make the decision or do the work to go dig it out. However I will probably do it soon, since I'm not going to sell anything anyway and it seems foolish not to know.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I've seen that somebody pulled 4 different Hemsworth Auto's from 12 boxes

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

And I bet they still weren't happy Smile

Posts: 8 | Location: Yorkshire | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOX:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

And I bet they still weren't happy Smile

He is so lucky with pulls, it was just ho-hum and expected with him! Nevertheless, well done.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I was quite ticked should have had 5!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Opened 2 boxes.

1 box with no hits.

2nd box
blue parallel 43 (120/199)
triple costume AT-1 (Thor, Heimdall, Valkyrie)
single costume AS-20 (Loki)
sketch of Hulk eating a burger by Mr. Havok
Dyson card D-11 containing an acetate card of Adam Warlock from Thor #165.

No autographs (my primary requirement). No more Upper Deck sets I think.
Before somebody suggests it, I can't contact Upper Deck about the first box because of where I am. It would just cause major problems for my dealers' supplier.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
[You can bet that there is an auto in one of those rip cards. In the case I broke three of the eight rip cards had creator autographs in them.

Yep, one had a creator autograph, writer Robert Rodi CCA5. The other was a standard C30. Pretty much destroyed the Dyson cards in cutting open, so see no point in keeping them.

Sorry to hear about the dud box. Reports of missing hits are being received, so it seems that some people are getting more than their share and others are getting stiffed. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't have done but couldn't resist

blue parallels
9 (053/199)
44 (156/199)

Dyson cards
D-20 with C22 inside
D-32 with C3 inside

Sketch
a creature of some sort (ice giant, maybe?) by Liubov Korotkova

Costume/relic
AD-9 Grandmaster/loki
AS-3 Loki
AS-15 Bruce Banner

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Shouldn't have done but couldn't resist

blue parallels
9 (053/199)
44 (156/199)

Dyson cards
D-20 with C22 inside
D-32 with C3 inside

Sketch
a creature of some sort (ice giant, maybe?) by Liubov Korotkova

Costume/relic
AD-9 Grandmaster/loki
AS-3 Loki
AS-15 Bruce Banner

6 Hit box sort of makes up for the duds, when it works out. Still would rather see them get each box right as some people don't buy more than 1 box.

Ed