Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (Cryptozoic Entertainment, 2016)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (Cryptozoic Entertainment, 2016)
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Got my box today and was very pleased with it
Here's what was inside:
1 base set of 90 cards
12 base extras
4 foil parallels
1 Linen texture parallel, numbered 2/75
8 of 9 Weapons cards (1:4)
1 Smaug Puzzle card (1:24)
2 Foil Board Character cards (1:12)
1 Autograph Jed Brophy as Nori, says "Hi XX"
1 Sketch by Achilleas Kokkinakis of Radagast on his rabbit pulled sled. (1:96)

Nice cards, the sketch is cool, no poster or protrait cards, but this is easily my best of all 3 Hobbit boxes.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the hits from my case break...

AUTOS
Aidan Turner as Kili the Dwarf
Howard Shore, Composer
Jed Brophy as Nori the Dwarf
John Bell as Bain son of Bard
John Callen as Oin the Dwarf ("What's that? War?")
John Tui as Bolg
Ken Stott as Balin the Dwarf
Manu Bennett as Azog
Mary Nesbitt as Tilda
Peggy Nesbitt as Sigrid
Stephen Hunter as Bombur the Dwarf

and this Illustration Autograph...

I pulled 5 sketch cards...

Clay Sayre

Fer Galicia

Nathan Nelson

Ken Gordon

and this beauty by Veronica O’Connell...

Posts: 38 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those sketches are all very well done and the O'Connell is outstanding. I've seen a few really good pieces done by her and I don't know what the exact pecking order for sketch artists is these days, but I'd have to guess that she is moving up rapidly. Thumb Up

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Those sketches are all very well done and the O'Connell is outstanding. I've seen a few really good pieces done by her and I don't know what the exact pecking order for sketch artists is these days, but I'd have to guess that she is moving up rapidly. Thumb Up

Veronica has been up with the top sketch artists for many years

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Veronica has been up with the top sketch artists for many years

Then her name doesn't come up as often as it should. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overall happy with what I received, but disappointed to be shorted an auto and one of the sketches left a lot to be desired!

Arkenstone: 1 (base #12)
Plate: base #44 (black)
Portrait set: 2 (+3 spares)
Smaug set: 2 (+6 spares)
Weapons sets: 20 (+12 spares)
Character set: 7 (+6 spares)
Canvas parallel: 24
Foil parallel: lots but could not make a full set
Lenticular: KA9 (2), KA10 (0), KA11(2), KA12 (1)
Illustrated auto: 0
Poster autos: 0
Normal autos:
AB: 1
AT: 1
EL: 2
GM: 1
CA5 : 1
JN: 1
JBR: 1
JBE: 0
JC: 1
JT: 2
KS: 0
LP: 0
LE: 1
MB: 1
MH: 1
MF: 2
MN: 1
PN: 1
PH: 1
CA1: 0
RA: 2
RG: 0
IH: 0
SH: 1
WK: 1
Sketches by
K Meyer jr (2)
M Streb (2)
F Quintero
C Meeks
D Torres
A Kokkinakis

Posts: 168 | Location: Green Hammerton, Yorkshire, UK | Registered: November 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OK, a little late to the party thanks to my parcel being sat in UK Customs for a fortnight Frown Anyway, they finally arrived this morning and I've just finished breaking and collating everything. Still need to scan in the autos but wanted to post the highlights from the two cases as soon as possible. So here are the sketches:

Case 1:

Gavin Hunt, Fer Galicia, Carolyn Edwards
Mike James

Case 2:

Achilleas Kokkinakis, Gabe Farber, Can Baran (I think)
Leon Braojos

Oh, and my best auto found in my first case:

Really pushed for time today but these are scans of all the autgraphs I pulled along with the two Printing Plates I found:

Case 1:

Cyan Plate for card #58

Case 2:

I think I did pretty well Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll say you did well! Those are some great sketches, Kevin!! Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about every sketch is very good. Amazing Carolyn Edwards.

Well done.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post