Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Breaking Bad Seasons 1-5 (Cryptozoic, 2014)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-5 (Cryptozoic, 2014)
 Login/Join

posted
I bought 1 case plus 4 boxes. Unfortunately, I only got two cards that I needed from the extra boxes -- a Betsy Brandt autograph and a Tina Parker autograph.

Here's my breakdown:
Autographs
  • A1 Dean Norris as Hank Schrader -- 1
  • A2 Betsy Brandt as Marie Schrader -- 1
  • A3 RJ Mitte as Walter White, Jr. -- 1
  • A4 Giancarlo Esposito as Gustavo "Gus" Fring -- 0
  • A5 David Costabile as Gale Boetticher -- 1 with the word "Germanium" on it
  • A6 Matt Jones as Badger -- 0
  • A7 Mark Margolis as Tio Salamanca -- 1
  • A8 Michael Shamus Wiles as ASAC George Merkert
  • A9 Daniel Moncada as Leonel Salamanca -- 1
  • A10 Luis Moncada as Marco Salamanca -- 0
  • A11 Jere Burns as Group Leader -- 1
  • A12 Nigel Gibbs as Detective Tim Roberts
  • A13 Larry Hankin as Old Joe -- 1
  • A14 Michael Bowen as Uncle Jack -- 0
  • A15 Emily Rios as Andrea Cantillo -- 1
  • A16 Tina Parker as Francesca -- 1
  • A17 Jim Beaver as Lawson -- 1
  • A18 Tess Harper as Mrs. Pinkman -- 0
  • A19 Michael Bofshever as Mr. Pinkman -- 2
  • A20 Christopher Cousins as Ted Beneke -- 1
  • A21 Anna Gunn as Skyler White -- 2; but, the one out of the extra box had a dinged corner

Costume Cards
  • M1 Walter White Checked Shirt -- 2
  • M2 Hank Schrader Dark Gray Shirt -- 1
  • M3 Jesse Pinkman Black/White Jacket -- 0
  • M4 Gustavo "Gus" Fring Gray Jacket -- 1
  • M5 Skyler White Cyan Shirt -- 1
  • M6 Walter White Tan Shirt -- 1
  • M7 Hank Schrader Gray Jacket -- 1
  • M8 Mike Ehrmantraut Dark Gray Shirt -- 1
  • M9 Skyler White Green Jacket -- 0
  • M10 Mike Ehrmantraut Brown Jacket -- 1
  • M11 Saul Goodman Purple Shirt -- 1
  • M12 Walter White Gray Jacket -- 2
  • M13 Gustavo "Gus" Fring Blue Tie -- 0
  • M14 Gustavo "Gus" Fring Black Shirt -- 0
  • M15 Mike Ehrmantraut Purple Shirt -- 0
  • M16 Hank Schrader Red Shirt -- 0
  • M17 Jesse Pinkman Blue/Black Shirt -- 0
  • M18 Gustavo "Gus" Fring Salmon Jacket -- 0
  • M19 Saul Goodman White Shirt -- 0
  • M20 Mike Ehrmantraut Gray Shirt -- 2
  • M21 Saul Goodman Salmon Shirt -- 2

Los Pollos Hermanos Props
  • PC-01 Walter White -- 0
  • PC-02 Gus Fring -- 0

Blue Sky Chase Cards
  • HSBG-01 - HSBG-09 -- 3 Complete Sets plus 5 Extras

Breaking Bad Fan Art Chase Cards
  • BBFA-01 - BBFA-09 -- 2 Complete Sets plus 14 Extras -- 1 damaged out of pack

Los Pollos Hermanos Chase Cards
  • LPH-01 - LPH-09 -- 3 Complete Sets plus 5 Extras

Base Set
  • 01 - 134 -- 11 Complete Sets; one additional set missing just card 93 plus a lot of extra cards

Off to post to my trade list!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Sarasota, FL, USA | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a great set to collect. Unfortunately, all the recent card set releases are just too much for me and I've decided to do none of them, I just can't afford it any more.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
You can get an entire mini-master of all of the Breaking Bad cards except the autographs and costume/props for about the cost of a box.

That's the way to go on most sets these days. I just picked up a minimaster of Star Wars Illustrated for $25, which is 1/3 the cost of a box, so collecting on a limited budget is still possible, more than ever, really.

A Hobbit minimaster will be very affordable. Virtually all of these boxes will be opened and the sets dumped at the same time.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I don't think this will be an expensive set at all. The inserts are all 2 per box and many of the autos are going to be worth $10 or less pretty soon, if they're not already. Prop cards are meant to be one in every 2 cases, so they're not all that rare. The redemption is going to be the only real expensive card in the set and I don't think this well hold it's value over time.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I thought the Breaking Bad autos would be more expensive. I admit I did no research on the topic, and am glad to hear I may be able to afford the set after all, especially since I really liked the show. There is a card show coming up this weekend. I'll be on the lookout for BBB. (That's Breaking Bad Boxes, of course)

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The big stars of Breaking Bad did not sign, the show is already over and there is now a glut on the non-sport card market for network and cable TV shows, with more to come.

Prices of hits are going soft on everything but the most limited and the most popular. Meanwhile the SRP of boxes remains the same or higher, up until the time they get discounted down the line.

Anybody else see a problem here? Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is very little of this product in the market and the prices for the big autos are still in the $30 or less range. When the big sellers finally decide to dump their stock there will be plenty of bargains to be had.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The big stars of Breaking Bad did not sign, the show is already over and there is now a glut on the non-sport card market for network and cable TV shows, with more to come.

Prices of hits are going soft on everything but the most limited and the most popular. Meanwhile the SRP of boxes remains the same or higher, up until the time they get discounted down the line.

Basically true, but don't forget "Better Call Saul", the new series coming soon.
Already approved for two seasons, it should boast at least cameos from Walt and Jesse, creating another opportunity for those actors to sign. BB creator Vince Gilligan is also running that show, so they should try to get cards from him, as well. An eventual card set for that show, should it prove successful, could help this set down the line, especially if they can at last get signatures from Cranston and Paul (and a card from Mike Ehrmantraut would be most welcome, too.)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Opened just one case so far:

Autos
A1 Dean Norris
A2 Betsy Brandt
A4 Giancarlo Esposito
A5 David Costabile
A7 Mark Margolis
A8 Michael Shamus Wiles
A10 Luis Moncada
A12 Nigel Gibbs
A13 Larry Hankin
A15 Emily Rios
A16 Tina Parker
A20 Christopher Cousins

Costumes
M1 Walter (seam variant)
M2 Hank
M5 Skyler
M7 Hank
M9 Skyler
M11 Saul
M14 Gus
M15 Mike
M16 Hank
M18 Gus
M19 Saul
M21 Saul (seam variant)

Inserts
Blue Sky - 2 complete sets, 6 extras
Fan Art - 2 complete sets, 6 extras
Los Pollos Hermanos - 2 complete sets, 6 extras

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Basically true, but don't forget "Better Call Saul", the new series coming soon.
Already approved for two seasons, it should boast at least cameos from Walt and Jesse, creating another opportunity for those actors to sign. BB creator Vince Gilligan is also running that show, so they should try to get cards from him, as well. An eventual card set for that show, should it prove successful, could help this set down the line, especially if they can at last get signatures from Cranston and Paul (and a card from Mike Ehrmantraut would be most welcome, too.)

I actually think Cranston and Paul never even knew about the cards as their agents just said no. I mean maybe Cranston said no, but I can't figure out why Paul would as he's always been great with Breaking Bad fans.

I remember years ago Jorge Garcia from LOST told a fan when asked about Inkworks sets that he was never asked about signing. Either he was lying or his agent never told him about it and just refused. I'm sure Inkworks would have gone after him as a signer.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Both the Anna Gunn autos and Dean Norris autos seem to be selling in the $40 to $50 range. The prop cup cards I've seen have been going for $60 to $80.

Box prices are sure to crash on this one with the worth of the cards not holding up.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just picked up two 134 card base sets (one for a friend) for the tidy sum of $20 delivered, and I am done with this set, and cheap!

Hopefully, there'll be a "Better Call Saul" set, and that'll have the Paul and Cranston autographs, since both are very likely to appear on that show at some point. The way Jesse Paul is with fans, I would think that one of them would just have to show them a few of these autographs, and ask him to sign next time around, and he'd be more than willing.

But even if not, I already have a couple of outstanding Bob "Saul" Odenkirk autographs at least. I obtained them in person when his comedy troupe "Mr. Show" attended Comic-Con about 10 years ago. They're pretty cool in that they're signed my multiple cast members and writers from that classic series that was HBO for 3 glorious seasons, including David "Arrested Development" Cross and Tom Kenney, the voice of "SpongeBob Squarepants".

posted Hide Post
Broke 6 boxes yesterday.

4 complete base sets and lots of spares.
Blue Sky - 1 complete set, 3 extras
Fan Art - 1 complete set, 3 extras
Los Pollos Hermanos - 1 complete set, 3 extras

Autos
A12 Nigel Gibbs as Detective Tim Roberts
A14 Michael Bowen as Uncle Jack
A16 Tina Parker as Francesca
A17 Jim Beaver as Lawson
A18 Tess Harper as Mrs. Pinkman
A21 Anna Gunn as Skyler White Smile

Memorabilia:
M1 Walter White Checked Shirt
M4 Gustavo Fring Gray Jacket
M7 Hank Schrader Gray Jacket
M8 Mike Ehrmantraut Dark Gray Shirt
M12 Walter White Gray Jacket
M14 Gustavo Fring Black Shirt

Also got M22 Walter White Hazmat Suit from the binder. Happy with the chase card sets, didn't hold out much hope of making all three sets from 6 boxes. Autographs were slightly disappointing and very happy with the memorabilia cards. Now to keep an eye on the prices on the bay...

Steve

Posts: 22 | Location: Basingstoke, UK. | Registered: December 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Getting the chase sets from 6 boxes was impressive.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Six boxes and you only got four base sets. That sucks. For the price of a box, one should at least be able to get a base set out of every box.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of the minimasters with the base sets and the 3 insert sets sold for less than $40 the last couple of days, so if you aren't so much interested in the "hits" with this set, that's definitely the way to go.

As long as there are enough people breaking cases, that seems to be the way of things now, all the base and regular chase usually becoming available for less than the cost of one box once a product has been out for a month or two.
Since I don't collect material cards in general, and the autographs are reasonably priced as singles, there was just no reason for me to pick up any boxes of this.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
Six boxes and you only got four base sets. That sucks. For the price of a box, one should at least be able to get a base set out of every box.

That's what I thought, but the Cryptozoic checklist PDF says:

"NB: The Size Of The Base Set Precludes collecting An Entire Base Set From Any One Box Of 24 Packs."

Steve

Posts: 22 | Location: Basingstoke, UK. | Registered: December 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
That's insane. Yet another reason why I won't spend my money on any of their products.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
OK, this is funny.

Not interested in this show or product,but I wound up picking up a box anyway. Can't make a full set obviously, but I got a Daniel Moncada autograph and a Skyler White wardrobe. Happy to get the Gunn costume anyway.

Here's the funny part, honest to God, there was a thin sealed pack that had ONE base card in it. Don't care really, not making any claim to CZE, but how do you let a pack get out with one card in it? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's strange that they keep having these packing problems Confused .I would have thought they would have either insisted on whoever is doing the packing getting their act together or gone to somebody else by now.

Once a company gets a reputation for something like this it is hard to shake off, no matter how much better you get in the future.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post