Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Heroes Season 1 (Topps)
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heroes Season 1 (Topps)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Gotta disagree with you on one thing Arvin...

The LOTR Masterpieces set was I think amongst most collectors deemed a very big success. Topps held up their end of the deal and delivered two sketches per box, and the majority of the sketches that made it into that set were PRETTY amazing. I would say the worst from that set, are on par with some of the decent ones in the Heroes set. I think LOTRM2 will be the same way. They have advertised two per box and I think the artists step it up even more for BIG franchises like this. I still think that having sketch cards for a show like Heroes was just absurd. It is a set based on a show that might not even make it through its third season, and had some problems in the second. Sketches just didn't need to be done. However I think that with LOTR there is just so much more that can be done and will be done. I agree on Indy, but I think that as long as Topps follows the same set of guidelines as LOTRM then LOTRM2 will be just as well received.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:
Gotta disagree with you on one thing Arvin...

The LOTR Masterpieces set was I think amongst most collectors deemed a very big success. Topps held up their end of the deal and delivered two sketches per box, and the majority of the sketches that made it into that set were PRETTY amazing. I would say the worst from that set, are on par with some of the decent ones in the Heroes set. I think LOTRM2 will be the same way. They have advertised two per box and I think the artists step it up even more for BIG franchises like this. I still think that having sketch cards for a show like Heroes was just absurd. It is a set based on a show that might not even make it through its third season, and had some problems in the second. Sketches just didn't need to be done. However I think that with LOTR there is just so much more that can be done and will be done. I agree on Indy, but I think that as long as Topps follows the same set of guidelines as LOTRM then LOTRM2 will be just as well received.

Just my two cents.

You're right when you say most collectors (i.e. fans) were happy with LOTRM. I think true fans will always be happy, but we have a large number of people on this board who have unrealistic ideas on what to expect from a Topps product, yet they continue to buy.

As for the appropriateness of sketches in "Heroes", I am sure a large number of people would say that since one of the key story arcs in Season 1, was Issac's ability to paint the future. Then by all means they should be included.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
My issue with this is, people seem to be upset becouse this set didnt meet with possibley over-hyped expectations. People seemed to be expecting LOTR or Star wars type success out of this product, for a brand that is 2 years old. Its just not reasonable to assume thats gonna happen. think about how many decades each of thoes brands has at building a fan base. Even on cards alone , these franchises have had years to build momentum and support. topps star wars sketchs and autographs are the king of their respected fields, LOTR are a pretty close secound on each. You cant expect the 2nd year of an NBC nighttime drama to carry the same fan support and money. Well, you can, but this is the result of that. Heroes cases havent , nor will never, be dumped. its 100 percent live , its got all the main stars of the show to sign (or at least, it has 90 percent of them, and there isnt a bad autograph in the bunch). And the costumes are remenents they found in the dumpster, but actual costumes screen used. It is what it is, a quality but not earth shattering product. I think if you think about that in that regard, its gonna change your perspective on it. I think, for what it was and should have been, its a decent product. With that, usually when i post , we get told to get back on topic, so if you got a response, probably be best to do it quick.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yep, agree with you there. The paintings were honestly the only things that I could ever possibly want from the show to end up on sketch cards. With no offence to artists, or the actors on the show, heroes just isn't in need of sketch cards. People know who Aragorn and Gimli and Darth Vader are, but if you have never watched the show, or hell even if you have, most people don't give a **** about a DL sketch card. I saw one or two pulled and the people who pulled them couldn't even figure out the character. This was one of those sets when I wish that sketch cards were never thought up...because Topps can pay artists diddly for a sketch card instead of going after the actors themselves to sign or get more cotumes.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
I thought this was the box-breakdown-section!?? Sorry to add this post to the spam, since it has no breakdowns in it, but please take such discussion elsewhere on the board! If I wanna read everyones "2 cents", I think I can find them in the apropriate place!

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gopher_narly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion:
I thought this was the box-breakdown-section!?? Sorry to add this post to the spam, since it has no breakdowns in it, but please take such discussion elsewhere on the board! If I wanna read everyones "2 cents", I think I can find them in the apropriate place!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
its like clockwork...

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Back to breaks lol

I opened 2 boxes and got
Claire sketch(the one that there are about 140 on ebay right now lol)..

and

suspense

SUPRISE
Matt Parkman Costume

It does have a crease in it not just the flat pieceworks anyway.. Has anyone pulled a button or button hole one Confused

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Opened two cases today last box was a dud.

case 1

case 2

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Just finished opening my two boxes and I think my luck was in.
I got a complete set of foils and spares of 1 though 6 and these:

My first ever Katie Cook sketch. Clap

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nice one Alan. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of rubadub001
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:
quote:
Originally posted by rubadub001:

I don't really care for costume cards period - however why not go for some more colorful patterned shirt to make cards out of rather than some boring black or other solid color fabric?

Topps doesn't pick and choose what costumes they get...they get what NBC gives them. I'm sure they would have loved to have more costumes but I think they did the best they can by adding the Hiro shirt and the Claire patch as other "costume" cards.

Bryan - are you saying that Topps (and other card companies) don't have any say in what the studios provide them, nor do they have any say with regards to what is put into the final product?

I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

While card companies may not have the pick of the litter when requesting actor's costumes, I'm sure they are able to at least make requests.

And at the very least, the card company always has the option of not making the costume card if they feel it would not make not make a good 'card.' This doesn't mean that they will always exercise this right, or we as collectors may not agree with their decision - but I just can't see Topps being completely helpless in this situation.

Don't hold me to it - but I seem to recall that for some of the earlier Smallville releases, collectors complained of the same 'plaid' pieceworks cards for Clark Kent. Inkworks responded by obtaining some different non-plaid shirts for later sets.

I also set up a thread to discuss some of the topics relate to the hype around Topps Heroes here if anyone is interested:

https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=476...741097172#3741097172

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rubadub001,

Check out my Trade List Apr 16.09: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....&r=37010938#37010938

Posts: 654 | Location: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmc913
posted Hide Post
AWESOME Cook sketch AJJ!
Congrats!

Posts: 251 | Location: WV | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nope, I spoke with Topps at Comic Con last year when they were beginging to hype the set. They got their hands on what NBC lets them have. That came directly fromt he people working at the Topps booth. It is hard to shows currently still running to give up costumes, because you never know when they will do a flashback or need it again. I remember Uncle Allen of Inkworks posting in the Lost thread here or somewhere else a response to that very question about the costumes in the Lost sets. There are so many flashbacks on the show that Inkworks does not get a say in what costumes they get because they might need to be used again in the future. Same goes for this set.

Picture of terihatcherfan
posted Hide Post
I'm so disappointed. My case arrived today. I was never going to open the whole case, but in the end I did as every box was so poor, I felt compelled to open another to see if my luck was going to strike.

Breakdown (in the order I opened them):

Box 1 - Parkman costume
Box 2 - Parkman costume
Box 3 - Isaac costume (cream with slight beige marking)
Box 4 - Greg Grunberg autograph
Box 5 - Parkman costume
Box 6 - Hiro shirt costume
Box 7 - Lord Mesa Isaac sketch
Box 8 - Claire cheerleading outfit (white)

I think the collation is horrific, and my case was a poor one.

Nice cards, but whatever. I lost a LOT of money on this set.

Olly

Posts: 481 | Location: South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terihatcherfan:
I'm so disappointed. My case arrived today. I was never going to open the whole case, but in the end I did as every box was so poor, I felt compelled to open another to see if my luck was going to strike.

Breakdown (in the order I opened them):

Box 1 - Parkman costume
Box 2 - Parkman costume
Box 3 - Isaac costume (cream with slight beige marking)
Box 4 - Greg Grunberg autograph
Box 5 - Parkman costume
Box 6 - Hiro shirt costume
Box 7 - Lord Mesa Isaac sketch
Box 8 - Claire cheerleading outfit (white)

Olly

Sorry about your luck there Olly. Frown

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was your case still sealed?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks wolfie,dmc913.
Sorry about the bad break Olly.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:

Olly

So sorry about the bad luck Olly... I'm simply horrified.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes sorry about the bad case ... it is my nightmare. I have waited for so long for my case to arrive and if it were to come with that type of collation it may well be my first and last case!

Posts: 57 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post