Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Heroes Season 1 (Topps)
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heroes Season 1 (Topps)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
that's posted in the Heroes thread in the news& rumors section.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
(flips his hat around to now be the topps advocate instead of detractor)...Im sort of surprised at the negative reactions this set it is getting. i mean, look at these case breaks, 2 autographs, 2 sketchs, 4 costumes. every single autograph is from a main cast memember. 3/4 of the sketchs come from artists who do under 300 sketchs, and the costumes are all from screen worn costumes from what i understand, not the normal bs "stuff we found at jo-anns fabrics thats sorta simliar" BS. This is a low price box , with one guaranteed hit, of a major shoe. granted, it sucks to keep pulling parkman costumes, but the dudes like 6'2, pushing 3 bills, theres just gonna be a lot of costume you can get out of it. this case is looking like its heading to 300 a pop , and soon. at that price break, this product seems very reasonable. Im just saying, there are a lot of products out there, that dont deliver as much and for such a low price per case. This is far from a failure product IMO for thoes reasons alone.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rita
posted Hide Post
Finally opened my case.
6 costumes (2 diff. Hiro, 1 Parkman, 1 Claire white, 2 Isaac same white with specks)
1 auto (Milo)
1 sketch (colour McHaley of Parkman)

Not the best break but it could have been worse...at one point I thought I was going to get all costumes... Smile

Posts: 268 | Location: Valencia, SPAIN | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
(flips his hat around to now be the topps advocate instead of detractor)...Im sort of surprised at the negative reactions this set it is getting. i mean, look at these case breaks, 2 autographs, 2 sketchs, 4 costumes. every single autograph is from a main cast memember. 3/4 of the sketchs come from artists who do under 300 sketchs, and the costumes are all from screen worn costumes from what i understand, not the normal bs "stuff we found at jo-anns fabrics thats sorta simliar" BS. This is a low price box , with one guaranteed hit, of a major shoe. granted, it sucks to keep pulling parkman costumes, but the dudes like 6'2, pushing 3 bills, theres just gonna be a lot of costume you can get out of it. this case is looking like its heading to 300 a pop , and soon. at that price break, this product seems very reasonable. Im just saying, there are a lot of products out there, that dont deliver as much and for such a low price per case. This is far from a failure product IMO for thoes reasons alone.

There are a number of reasons it is disappointing. First, it was over produced. TOPPS touted it as a "limited" release but at 20000 HOBBY boxesthe run is the same as Star Wars 30th. Second, making half of every case costume cards diluted the more desirable cards. Remember, there are only 4 different costumes used (not counting variants), Claire, Hiro, Isaac and Parkman so people keep pulling the same cards over and over. Because of this people don't trust individual sealed boxes, assuming if someone pulled autos and/or sketches from the first couple of boxes from a case the rest will get sold because most of them will have worthless costume cards. Cases which were once rising in price have dropped back, although only to their original price, there is still enough over-all value to keep them from crashing. I know I'm done with boxes but I am still looking for good sketches, I'll just let other risk opening boxes to pull them for me. Wink

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of rubadub001
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an extra Milo autograph? Drop me an email! It's the last auto I'm after!

While I picked up a few boxes and did relatively well (2 autos out of 4 boxes), I did also pull 2 parkman costumes which (no offense to Greg Grunberg) is kind of lame.

I don't really care for costume cards period - however why not go for some more colorful patterned shirt to make cards out of rather than some boring black or other solid color fabric?

I like some of the Smallville & Alias costume cards where Inkworks had all different kids of materials (plaids, embroidered flowers, etc). Just makes it a nicer card overall - even if you end up pulling lots of repeats.

Someone find me a MILO!!!!

Check out my Trade List Apr 16.09: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....&r=37010938#37010938

Posts: 654 | Location: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most of us including myself were expecting Star Wars 30th type breaks on the cases where we could almost make or excess the pre-order prices. One of my thinking is that regardless of the low "sketch" numbers compared to Star Wars 30th, the set lost its momentum when it missed the targeted released dates plus the writer strike could have affected it as well with no new episodes by the time the cards finally released.

I also think that with so many sketch artists doing less than 100 cards for Marvel Masterpiece 07, it seems to have dragged down the prices on eBay for the release and subsequent sketch cards releases. I think that the sketch card market is close to being oversaturated such as what had happened to the jersey cards market for sports cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:

There are a number of reasons it is disappointing. First, it was over produced. TOPPS touted it as a "limited" release but at 20000 HOBBY boxesthe run is the same as Star Wars 30th. Second, making half of every case costume cards diluted the more desirable cards. Remember, there are only 4 different costumes used (not counting variants), Claire, Hiro, Isaac and Parkman so people keep pulling the same cards over and over. Because of this people don't trust individual sealed boxes, assuming if someone pulled autos and/or sketches from the first couple of boxes from a case the rest will get sold because most of them will have worthless costume cards. Cases which were once rising in price have dropped back, although only to their original price, there is still enough over-all value to keep them from crashing. I know I'm done with boxes but I am still looking for good sketches, I'll just let other risk opening boxes to pull them for me. Wink

Posts: 47 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubadub001:

I don't really care for costume cards period - however why not go for some more colorful patterned shirt to make cards out of rather than some boring black or other solid color fabric?

Topps doesn't pick and choose what costumes they get...they get what NBC gives them. I'm sure they would have loved to have more costumes but I think they did the best they can by adding the Hiro shirt and the Claire patch as other "costume" cards.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anybody know if Topps make the patch card of Claire with part of the actual patch in the front of her cheerleader uniform?

Posts: 90 | Location: california | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is a good dang question, along with what happened the the Santiago autograph that is STILL listed on their web-site.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:
That is a good dang question, along with what happened the the Santiago autograph that is STILL listed on their web-site.

Just because its listed on the website, that still doesn't mean there has been an autograph made. I bet it was meant to be made but hasn't, didn't or maybe already has.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No, I know that, but you would think Topps would be smart enough to simply edit their website by pressing backspace about 15 times so collectors are not mislead by that now that the product is actually live. It really erks me that someone might go to the site and se his name and be a big fan and buy a box with the hopes of pulling his autograph when that is impossible.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I know that, but you would think Topps would be smart enough to simply edit their website by pressing backspace about 15 times so collectors are not mislead by that now that the product is actually live. It really erks me that someone might go to the site and se his name and be a big fan and buy a box with the hopes of pulling his autograph when that is impossible.

Excluding NSU, Many companies put there website last in the business model. Yes, even today where everyone is on the internet. There are countless websites that have the simplest errors, such as spelling mistakes, to links that just don't work.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Still looking for a retail box. Anyone seen any out there?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think the thing that is most disappointing is how common the costume cards are. If you check out what these cards are going for you'll see them going for less than $10 in many cases. For a product that has just been released pulling such low amounts just shows how common these cards are. Before the product was released I expected the costumes to be rare with only 2 per case, but they ended up being the most common of all.

I'd also like to know if the Claire patch is of the logo on the front of the uniform because so far I've only seen Yellow and red patches, but isn't their a picture on the logo?

I think the majority of the sketches have been pretty average also. I don't understand why Topps would have such difference in the quality, surely it just makes the consumer feel like not buying future products if they weren't happy with this one.

With all the delays I just expected a better set overall. Unless you pulled the Hayden auto or a really top notch sketch it's very unlikely that the case purchased would be worth $300. You can pick up the costumes cheaply, the auto's will go down in price and then you can pick the sketches you really want.

I also have to say they're weren't enough inserts for the set. Ten foil cards really isn't enough and did make it kinda boring to open the packs once you'd already found the big hit.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
(flips his hat around to now be the topps advocate instead of detractor)...Im sort of surprised at the negative reactions this set it is getting. i mean, look at these case breaks, 2 autographs, 2 sketchs, 4 costumes.
I wish I had a break like that. 2 sketches, 1 auto (Ando) and 5 costumes. Ebay for the rest of the releases Roll Eyes

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

you would think Topps would be smart enough to simply edit their website

No i wouldn't. Shake Head

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Here is the box breakdown of the one box i had.

I sold it still sealed for £40. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmc913
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Here is the box breakdown of the one box i had.

I sold it still sealed for £40. Thumb Up

Hopefully it has a Parkman costume in it, for your sake!
(me, personally, hate to sell boxes, cause i dont want to have an awesome hit in the box and not get it - cause i know the box i gwet rid of WILL have the awesome card. I have bad luck like that...)

Posts: 251 | Location: WV | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of raider5gt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Still looking for a retail box. Anyone seen any out there?

Haven't seen any retail boxes yet as i am after 1 myself but the lenticular cards are on the Bay

Posts: 437 | Location: Gloucester UK | Registered: July 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how we have this same old conversation after a Topps release.
People whining about how the product didn't live up to the hype, etc, etc, etc.
If I'm not mistaken 99.9% of the folks who post on this board are adults and the vast majority of them have quite a bit of mileage on them. So why is it that they make the same mistake over and over again?

The "Heroes" thread on this board was opened back in March 07. Since that time there have been numerous updates to that thread by various board members. We knew more artists were being added on a weekly basis, so why are people shocked that Topps increased production? Why do sane people by multiple cases of a Topps product? It seems to me the answer is pure greed.
Why do the same people who constantly complain about Topps, continue to buy their products and in a big way? Again, GREED!
Wouldn't a true fan of the show be able to get a base set, the 10 foil inserts and a couple of the main inserts from the purchase of a box or two? If they wanted more they could then go on ebay and buy what they like for alot less.

Now if you think I'm full of it, fine, just take a look at the current "LOTR Masterpieces 2" thread and read the responses to the sketch cards that have been posted. Make sure you read the names of the people who are getting hyped about that set and wait till the set goes live.
You'll see many of the people who praised the set bashing it. The same will hold true for the new "Indiana Jones" set.

Topps is Topps, they are what they are and we should all know that by now. If you want to gamble then buy their products and hope for the big hit, but if you do, be an adult and don't come here to cry about how you got a raw deal.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post