Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Heroes Season 1 (Topps)
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heroes Season 1 (Topps)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. I'll guess I also buy some 100pt and give it a try.

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
anyone notice how well the claire autograph is selling...when she isnt a short print? like she sells for nearly the price of all other autographs combined at times...why is that?

To reiterate what Triple-Frog said: most men like breasts. Nuff said as far as prices go it would seem. Its Alison Hannigan/Jessica Alba syndrome all over again. Roll Eyes

That said, congrats to all those who pulled her auto, there are some seriously crumby cases out there!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It could also be because she is out of EVERYONE on the show the most breakout star, or that on the show her story is one of the most important story arcs....

but sure, go with breasts.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:
It could also be because she is out of EVERYONE on the show the most breakout star, or that on the show her story is one of the most important story arcs....

but sure, go with breasts.

I'm not going to go with breasts as I think Heroes in its entirity is somewhat overrated. Eek But you know sometimes it is that simple. I don't think most people buy Angelina Jolie autos because she is a brilliant actress. Maybe that is why Complete Bond Denise Richards autos go for $300 despite the fact that she is generally regarded as the worst Bond girl of all time. I think you underestimate the power of certain appendages.

But back to your points... I'm not to sure about everyone else but I pick up autographs for the actor/actress and their abilities in certain roles not the narratives they inhabit because those are two totally separate things. And what is important is speculative anyway. The way the writers try to inter-weave all the characters in Heroes surely illustrates they are all on fairly equal footing in terms of importance? Or maybe you are unconsiously pointing out that the percieved importance of Claire is the producers playing up her so-called babe-factor? Yes you can call me a cynic. Razz

Similarly I don't pick up autos because someone may or may not 'break out' at a later date. That sounds like something an investor would do. It also implies that the current reason for paying ridiculous sums of money for an autograph isn't entirely a good enough one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
OK, people, please stop with the (way) OT stuff and try to stay on track here! No one wants to see the thread shut due this, ok? Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Similarly I don't pick up autos because someone may or may not 'break out' at a later date. That sounds like something an investor would do. It also implies that the current reason for paying ridiculous sums of money for an autograph isn't entirely a good enough one.

Neither do I, but she is easily the biggest person to come out of the show. As someone who most people did not know before the show, she is now the hottest actor or actress on the show. Ask 100 people to name a character from Heroes and I bet 90 say Claire or the Cheerleader. People who don't even watch the show know who she is because of her character being included in a lot of the advertising for the show. She is popular right now, therefor her auto sells for more than anyone else. Masi Oka is the same way and his selling price reflects it as well...he is definetly the second best selling signer from the set.

quote:
Originally posted by X:

But you know sometimes it is that simple. I don't think most people buy Angelina Jolie autos because she is a brilliant actress.

That is actually exactly why I own that autograph. She is a brilliant actress with the awards to back up her roles. Her being drop dead gorgeous doesn't hurt, but I own mine simply because of who she is, and the fact that I like her in ALMOST every role she has had.

quote:
Originally posted by X:
The way the writers try to inter-weave all the characters in Heroes surely illustrates they are all on fairly equal footing in terms of importance?

Have you watched the show? Can you honestly tell me that Michah or Parkman have been equal in importance? "Babe" or not, the entire marketing of the first 15 episodes of the show was "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" Claire has had the most screen time, and played the most important part on the show.

So please, lets not group collectors together with stupid comments like the card is selling high because of Hayden's assets. Some people don't collect cards because of the person on them, but instead for what the person on them has done. and in the case of Claire, SP or not, she plays the biggest role on the show, and she is the "breakout" star of the show. An example of this would be the Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood autograph card. That card was selling for over $100 when it came out as a redemption and she was not a SP signer for the set. It sold for that because she was amazing in the movie, not because of her looks.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't actually follow Heroes, but I picked up a box today because it was there. Guess I should be happy that it had an autograph of the kid, pulling Claire would have been sweet.

Anyway I looked on eBay and saw mainly the 5 costumes and a lot of sketchs. Now a few of the sketchs were very detailed and quite attractive, but the majority I saw were not very good in my opinion. In fact many of them were on a par with Archie and Jughead, which I don't mean as a compliment.

So is it just me, or have I not seen a good representation of the sketchs? As it stands I don't think I'm going to buy anymore boxes for one insert that I may not want. I would still like to pull that Cheerleader though. Big Grin

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
this set is definetly the type of set that I would suggest picking up singles for on Ebay. while opening packs is ALWAYS more fun, the prospect of pulled a $5 costume or a sketch that does not please you is very high.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
5 dollar costume...i wish, just broke box 9.

4 foil cards total, 2 of them hiro...

...and my 3rd parkman costume...yay .99 cent costume card triple up!.../sigh.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Bryan, ordinarily I would respond to some of the points you've just raised but Harris has asked us not to so I'm not going to go there. Plus I don't want the thread shut for those yet to buy a box of Heroes who want to share on CT.

But yes I have watched the show - forced to sit through all but maybe two episodes I think. Way overhyped.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Well my case arrived today. Was really happy with what I recieved until I opened the 7th box and it was a dud, no auto, sketch or costume card. So I looked through all the packs from all the boxes hoping to find it in another box, but no luck. I read that you have to send the box and packets back to Topps, but I mixed all the packs up with other packets from the other boxes, does that matter?

Overall though I was very happy to get Milo and Adrian's auto's, the Claire and Issac patches which I didn't have yet and a fabulous Mika sketch, my first ever sketch pull.

I didn't have any doubles in the case and the 7 cards were of a different character so it was a good mix I thought. Only one Parkman, which I was pleased about, although the 8th missing card could well have been a Parkman. The Hiro jacket I already had, but overall I was pleased with the case bar the missing insert.

Here are my pulls:

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
But yes I have watched the show - forced to sit through all but maybe two episodes I think. Way overhyped.

And that is your opinion, but i'm pretty sure the millions of people who watch the show and made it the WORLDWIDE success it is do not agree with you.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

And that is your opinion, but i'm pretty sure the millions of people who watch the show and made it the WORLDWIDE success it is do not agree with you.

And the 7 million who stopped watching afters season 1 do agree Big Grin(and the whole save the cheerleader thing wasn't for Claires benefit it was for the benefit of the one that saved her.. I would say him and Hiro are the 2 stars of the show..)

Side your best bet is to contact topps they should have a number on their website, I don't think they have an email addy on there. The product is sold out so not sure they will have a card for you but it never hurts to ask. Judging by other case breaks you got the 4 costume cards so your missing card was most likely a sketch or auto..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Streich:

And the 7 million who stopped watching afters season 1 do agree Big Grin

Great. I guess that means more Season 2 cases for me to get my hands on. But since this is the Season 1 set that is irrelevant.

Picture of Rich With Cards
posted Hide Post
I couldnt wait for this set and opened 10 cases in total and my brother has 2 cases left over for himself. I was really disapointed by this set on the whole after the anticipation of the sketches with the approval selection to recieve some of the worst sketches i have ever had the pleasure of pulling i am glad i didnt order more.
I normally enjoy opening sets regardless of subject matter but my brothers 2 cases have been left unopened due to the boredom we experienced whilst opening the 1st 10 cases. As a standing count we recieved 13 matt parkman costumes and 6 Noah bennett autos.
That said i still love the show and will shortly be collecting my master set by buying single cards.

Posts: 87 | Location: West Midlands | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I am with you on that one, the coalition was just awful. I opened up 6 cases and not a single sketch was really that good. I pulled 8 Parkman costumes out of 6 cases, but only 1 double autograph (Suresh). I agree that with the delay and seeing some of the sketches that were denied, I just CANNOT believe some of the stuff that made it into the set.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin(and the whole save the cheerleader thing wasn't for Claires benefit it was for the benefit of the one that saved her.. I would say him and Hiro are the 2 stars of the show..)

I agree with you Jim. Though I'd add that HRG is just as important as he seems to be involved in most of the story arcs. Then again Mohinder has been an intricate part of the story as well.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And the 7 million who stopped watching afters season 1 do agree Big Grin

Great. I guess that means more Season 2 cases for me to get my hands on. But since this is the Season 1 set that is irrelevant.

If the update or season 2 set isn't any better I don't even think they will sell out..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the update or season 2 set isn't any better I don't even think they will sell out..

There's the catch 22. After a less than stellar first effort buyers will probably be wary the 2nd time around and wait for info before ordering, and we all know how fast TOPPS is at getting us concrete info (their season 1 page still hasn't been updated in months) so orders will be lower and TOPPS will likely make the product to order meaning less product is made and thus altering the odds of good pulls so they are better.

This is exactly what happened with LOTR Evolution and LOTR Chrome. Evolution was supposed to be 1 sketch per box but orders were light so the sketches ended up being 1:14 packs, same thing with LOTR Chrome, was supposed to be 1 auto per box and random costume cards, ended up being 2 autos and a costume card per box. Of course TOPPS is anything but predicable so they might just crank the presses and hope for another sell out. Roll Eyes

If you order you risk the same situation as the Season 1 release, if you don't you risk missing a low printed run packed with goodies before the price jumps.

Personally I'll probably split the difference, I ordered 2 cases of season 1 and I'll probably order just 1 case of the update (asuming cases start in the $300 range again) and take a wait and see approach before getting any more.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a good deal on a case, so I couldn't pass it up. Here's what I got:

- 4 costumes (Claire/red, Hiro, Isaac, Parkman)
- 2 autos (Mohinder, Noah)
- 2 sketches (Niki by Jon OCampo, Peter by Tom Hodges)

Does anybody know how many sketches each artist drew? Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Booker,

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post