Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Celebrity Posters (Breygent Marketing)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebrity Posters (Breygent Marketing)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I got the box I ordered in the mail yesterday.

First off, there are 24 packs in the box. Breygent sets normally have 40, so right off the bat these are way more limited than their other sets.

So I tear into the box, and let me tell you, the base cards are gorgeous! Every card has this glitter ink on them that just makes them look spectacular, easily one of the best base sets I've ever seen! This pic doesn't do them justice:

I got the stated number of inserts, which compared to the base set are pretty bland looking. Most of them are puzzle pieces on a foil background.

Cut signatures are inserted one per case, and I didn't get any.

Now onto the sketches. You're supposed to get one per box. I was hoping that I wouldn't pull one of mine because that's just strange. So I open the pack that has the sketch (I knew it right away because there was a penny sleeve in the pack - Breygent inserts their sketches and autos in penny sleeves inside the packs). This is what I see:

And I'm very happy because it's not one of mine. So I flip it over to the front and I see this:

Yes, it's one of mine! They inserted two sketch cards into the penny sleeve and doesn't it figure, one is mine! Roll Eyes Anyways, here's the other sketch by Rowena Pagarigan:

What I found really cool was the checklist - I'm on it! I managed to infiltrate the base set! Big Grin

So, I ended up beating all the possible odds by pulling two sketches, including one of my own. I got one complete set, and I'm 11 cards short of a second, no triples!

This set is just awesome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Congrats on beating the odds.

I didn't know they put auto's and sketch in a penny sleeve nice way to offer extra protection for the card. I might see if I pick up a box this.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Ted!

On my side, I'd love to pull one of my own sketches, I just haven't tried due to the long odds. It would make all the hard work "real" seeing my work in the final physical product in my opinion vs seeing them on E-Bay. Smile

*** On a side note, there are nice 8.5 x 11 sell sheets have just popped up with all of the artists' names on them as well! I saw them for both Marilyn and this set! I'm going to get one of each and frame them, it's a cool accomplishment (to me at least), I thought maybe you'd like to look for those, too! Smile

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
Congrats on beating the odds.

I didn't know they put auto's and sketch in a penny sleeve nice way to offer extra protection for the card. I might see if I pick up a box this.

Yeah, what's really strange is they were both in the same sleeve. Now there's no way that was accidental - you know if you're putting one card in a sleeve versus two, and they weren't stuck together or anything. My guess is they got near the end and had more sketches than boxes, so they started doubling them up.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHouseman:
Congrats, Ted!

On my side, I'd love to pull one of my own sketches, I just haven't tried due to the long odds. It would make all the hard work "real" seeing my work in the final physical product in my opinion vs seeing them on E-Bay. Smile

*** On a side note, there are nice 8.5 x 11 sell sheets have just popped up with all of the artists' names on them as well! I saw them for both Marilyn and this set! I'm going to get one of each and frame them, it's a cool accomplishment (to me at least), I thought maybe you'd like to look for those, too! Smile

I'm just stoked to be on the checklist. Wink

Thanks for the heads-up on the sell sheet, I'll have to track one down!

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Opened three boxes last week. I have to say, this is one of THE BEST base sets I have ever seen. The glitter texture really adds to an already outstanding product. The addition of international posters for certain movies was a great idea as well.

I got three great sketches. I will scan and post them up tomorrow.

I just hope Breygent has more vintage posters they were holding back from this set for a series 2!

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So ok, I am confused. How do the cut signature cards come? I have seen some on Ebay that are normal card size, 3x5 and 5x7??

Does this mean they come sealed in a case or in an actual sealed box? Are the boxes large enough to have a 5x7 card in them?

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
I have to say, this is one of THE BEST base sets I have ever seen. The glitter texture really adds to an already outstanding product.

Told you they were awesome! Smile

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my box today -as pointed out above, very nice cards, the glitter effect is beautiful. Posters are both English and foreign. In regards to size of the box, it is 5" x 5 1/2", the width of 2 normal packs, so a 5" x 7" card must be a case incentive.

Here's what I got:
1 base set of 72 cards plus 61 extras.
Foils:
4 Gone with the Wind cards 5,6,7,8
3 Maltese Falcon cards 2,3,4
1 Top Hat card 1
2 Key Largo cards 1,6

I noticed most of the foils came 2 to a pack.

No auto, but the sketch was in the LAST pack I opened,
Ted Dastick Jr. Bordertown in full color, nice job,Ted. I like the fact the sketches are in a sleeve, and also the artist signs the back so you can tell who drew it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Oh... that's right! The signatures are on the back of the sketch cards! (I forgot.) Ted, I have one of your wonderful Cleopatra cards. Great work! Love the colors.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh hey, cool to hear! I'm glad you both like them. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
As promised:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received a box recently no auto but an art card by John Czop in a plastic sleeve plus the following:-
1 base set of 72 cards plus 61 extras.
Foils:
3 Gone with the Wind cards 5,6,7
4 Maltese Falcon cards 5, 6, 7, 8
1 Top Hat card 3
2 Key Largo cards 4,5

My Art Card was similar to base card 5 which was shown in the first post see scan below

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Just got my box of these, and wow, I concur with all of the superlatives from earlier in this post.

The BASE SET is an absolute knockout Eek with teriffic subjects, all beautifully presented with the care and competence we've come to expect from Breygent.

The normal inserts look good, too, but man, I can't get over the base set.

My box breakdown is very similar to the John Levitt's shown directly above in this post.

Counting the sketch, you get in an insert card in just about every other pack, not too shabby!

No autographs in my box, but my sketch was a nice one of Dorothy Dandridge from I believe, Chris Henderson, who can always be counted on for good stuff.

I'll see about adding a scan of it to this post in the next day or two.

Truly a GREAT release and HIGHLY recommended to all. Here's hoping Tom Breyer keeps 'em coming! Clap

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a box off the auction site for a great price, little low on chase

24 Pack box
72 Card Set x 1
Gone with the wind (1:8) x 2
Top Hat (1:12) x 1
Key Largo (1:12) x 1
Maltese falcon (1:8) x 4

I did however get an awesome Sean Pence sketch, dont have my scanner working at the moment but will post it as soon as

it can be found here Pence sketch

It is the Bordertown full colour bottom right

Does anyone know how many Sean did for this set?

David

Posts: 357 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey Scott, just wanted to let you know I landed one of the sell sheets. The seller I bought an Indiana Jones Heritage box from included a few extra things in the shipment, and this was included! Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

Hey Scott, just wanted to let you know I landed one of the sell sheets. The seller I bought an Indiana Jones Heritage box from included a few extra things in the shipment, and this was included! Big Grin

Cool! I got mine framed as well as the Marilyn one. I thought about putting them up in my computer/drawing room as momentos...

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Opened the 2 boxes I got my wife for her birthday (TODAY!) #1761 & #1762. She got 9 boxes of cards (many different sets) and this is the set she chose for today. I have to agree with all the above posts, the base set is absolutely outstanding. We even beat the odds on the chase sets as we got 3 foils in one pack which meant we had all 3 of the Top Hat mini puzzles cards (1/24). Here's the breakdown for both boxes:

3 x base sets + many spares
Key Largo CK1 CK3 CK4 CK5 CK6
Maltese Falcon CM1 CM4 CM5 CM6 CM7 CM8 CM9
Gone With The Wind CG1 CG2 CG3 CG4 CG8 CG9
Top Hat CT1 CT2 CT3
Sketches:
Lolita by Travis Walton
Carmen Jones by Rowena Pagarigan
Auto:
Marilyn Knowlden

I had also bought a William Schallert auto from e-bay (Singin In The Rain is one of my wife's favourite films) so I was glad not to get that one.

Marks out of 10. Definitely 11 !!
Cool

Will post pictures later.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Opened 2 boxes.

Auto
Marilyn Knowlden.

Sketches
Lady L by Jason Hughes
Cleopatra by Corbett Vanoni

Other chase
CM1 to CM7, 2 of CM4
CG2 to CG7
CK2 to CK6
CT1 to CT2

Haven't put together the base sets but the cards are superb.

Also received an ebay win today - the Debbie Reynolds cut auto 17/21. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
Picked up a box at collectormania yesterday.

I've got to say this is an amazing looking set, every base card is like a Chase card laced with Glitter Ink

I got one complete base set.
I pulled these chase cards:
CT2, CK3, CK4, CM3, CM4, CM5 & CG3, CG4 & CG5
And THESE:

Can anyone decypher teh Artist's Signature?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post