Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Celebrity Posters (Breygent Marketing)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebrity Posters (Breygent Marketing)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think it is Brian Kong.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
After buying 4 boxes of these, I ended up with 7 sets of the super-deluxe base cards, and almost finished the foil/mirrorboard insert sets, missing only 3 cards out of 27 (with a few extras for trading).

I received the the 4 sketches as advertised and a George Clayton Johnson autograph, which will actually go in my Rittenhouse Twilight Zone binder since he wrote several classic episodes of the show, but for whatever reason, did not sign for RA's TZ. (Not unprecedented for me as my Kelsey Grammer X-men 3 Autograph currently sits is in my Simpsons Mania Binder until an actual Grammer "Sideshow Bob" auto card comes along, dang it!)

Here's my sketches for those who'd like to see them. I have the corresponding base card from the series next to each sketch inspired by it, and the George Clayton Johnson AU is in the lower left corner for those who want to see that.

All of them extremely cool, methinks! Ted Dastick's colors are fantastic and Pence is a highlight in any set he contributes to. Kong shows why he keeps getting the call for sketches, as does Henderson. The Artist Signature on the back of each card is also a great touch.

Indeed, thanks to Breygent's card production and packing expertise, and of course the efforts of the sketch artists and graciousness of the autograph signers, this is one of my all-time favorite sets. And it is sets like these that remind me I'm still a collector first. (Namely because I would never dream of selling them as I do most of my other sketches, although to be fair, I do not stridently collect them owing a preference instead for autograph cards).

Fans of classic and even genre film illustration beautifully presented, do yourself a favor and get a box of these before they're all gone. I believe they only made 3,000 in all.

(And check the box breakdowns of Breygent's Sci-Fi Horror to see my sketches from that series. As impressive as these and oversized, too!)

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
The more box breakdowns I see from this series the more I really, really want to buy a box. I love old films.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
TheUberBob

Do not delay
Get on ebay
and get a box today

You know you want to.............

Seriously, I bought 2 boxes and I thought they were superb. I still have quite a few chase to get, but that's what trading is about.

It's the first time that the base set out shone the inserts!! (even though the inserts are shiney Big Grin)

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
All of them extremely cool, methinks! Ted Dastick's colors are fantastic and Pence is a highlight in any set he contributes to. Kong shows why he keeps getting the call for sketches, as does Henderson. The Artist Signature on the back of each card is also a great touch.

Glad you like my card! Those and the African Queen ones have LOTS of colors in them. Smile

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up another box

Not sorted basic cards.
1 x sketch Jon Ocampo of Lolita
1 x Marilyn Knowlden auto
4 x Gone with the Wind
2 x Key Largo
2 x Maltese Falcon
2 x Top Hat

Really pleased to get the Knowlden auto as it was the last of the three that i needed and the Jon Ocampo (love the way he signs the back) sketch is great, apparently he did not do many for this release

David

Posts: 357 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
picked up a box and got.......

1x Top Hat
3x Maltese Falcon
4x GWTW
2x Key Largo

William Schallert auto

Ted Dastick sketch "Angels With Dirty Faces" (Cagney face)

I LIKEY VERY MUCH....BEAUTIFUL CARD!

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Here are some of the sketches I got for this set:

What are you waiting for ... get yourself a box or three!

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willgull:
picked up a box and got.......

1x Top Hat
3x Maltese Falcon
4x GWTW
2x Key Largo

William Schallert auto

Ted Dastick sketch "Angels With Dirty Faces" (Cagney face)

I LIKEY VERY MUCH....BEAUTIFUL CARD!

Cool! What color is the background? Most I did were yellow, but I think I did one that was red.

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Mine has the red background. A very nice card for a beautiful set!

Thanks!

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
Got another box of this beautiful and amazing set.
Box# 2860/3000

Pulled
CG1,2,3 & 9
CM7,8 & 9
CK2 & 3
CT1
and these:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Nice break! Congrats!

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Were the sketch cards guaranteed one per box? I got one box and got diddly - no autos no sketch. I did enjoy the base set though.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to derail this thread a little bit, but I noticed that there is a William Schallert autograph in this set for his role in "Singin' in the Rain". That's one of my favorite films and I've seen it over a dozen times and just watched it again last night and I've never seen him. I was specifically looking for him last night and the closest person I could find that looks like him is the driver in the car Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) waves off after having seen off Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds) right before he goes into the "Singin' in the Rain" musical number. The closest thing I could find for a credit for him is "messenger on screen", whatever that means.

Does anyone know who he plays?

-Bob-

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
IMDB mearly says:
Singin' in the Rain (1952) (uncredited) .... Messenger on Screen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boldlygone:
IMDB mearly says:
Singin' in the Rain (1952) (uncredited) .... Messenger on Screen

That's all I could find as well but I don't remember any character that fits that bill other then the fellow in the "talking picture" demonstration film show at R F Simpson's party and that person is clearly not William Schallert.

-Bob-

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I finally broke down and got a box of these and I have to
echo what everyone else has said, this set is beautiful!
Here's how it sorted out:

1 - 72 card base set
3 - Gone with the Wind - 5,6,7
4 - Maltese Falcon - 3,4,5,6
3 - Key Largo - 4,5,6
1 - Top Hat - 3
1 nice sketch of Greta Garbo from "Queen Christina"
drawn by Travis Walton.

Greg

Posts: 1358 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Andrew H.
posted Hide Post
One box for my blog reviews (pics are there):

Complete Base Sets: 1 (plus extras)
Gone with the Wind: 4 – CG6, CG7, Cg8, Cg9 (1:8 packs)
Key Largo: 2 – CK5, CK6 (1:12 packs)
The Maltese Falcon: 3 – CM2, CM3, CM4 (1:8 packs)
Top Hat: 1 – CT3 (1:24 packs)
Sketch Card: 1 – “Lolita” Kevin Graham (1:24 packs)
Autograph: 1 – WSA William Schallert (1:96 packs)

http://www.whodidthewhatnow.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Lodi, NY | Registered: June 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post