Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Mars Attacks Invasion (Topps, 2013)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mars Attacks Invasion (Topps, 2013)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted
got my single case and 3 binders in the mail today. Great looking product! While the binders are nice, they are expensive considering that you don't get any kind of bonus cards like other companies do.

I haven't sorted all of the base yet so no clue of how many full sets.

42/58 Heritage parallels + 6 dupes
16 Golds (no extra gore)
No grafitti cards
3 extra gore (unless I missed some)
5 concepts cards (not all are B&W)
2 anatomy sets + 3 spares

and the goodies...

Robert Teranishi

Lyndal Ferguson

Tod Allen Smith

Joe Hogan

Jeffrey May

Dan Bergren

Jason Chalker

Ryan Dening

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well of the 8 sketches you pulled, I'd be happy with 3 (Smith, Chalker and Dening) and that's the problem with Mars Attacks. On the plus side more autographs are always good and the other patch/decals are a nice touch, even though I don't put much value in manufactured pieces.

The best card you got was that Pam Grier autograph. Thumb Up

The worst; I don't even know what that first sketch is supposed to be. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
I think you find uts soldier being vapourised
From original series.
I think topps gave done a great job with this
Set ,just hope sketches live up to
The quality of ones posted!! Smile

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boxes with a patch or medallion won't have a base set as only 1 base card in pack with them. Basically, every pack has 1 chase card and rest are base cards. If no medallion/patch, then 96 base cards and you'll get a set; otherwise 93 base cards and short 2. Personally, I like the patches/medallions, but don't like not getting a set in box. Had some boxes missing same numbers, so that a drag. I still think Topps missed the boat on this, but will give them the benefit of the doubt that they realized it too late in the production run to correct it.
Just finished 2 cases. Didn't get any sketches that bowled me over, but two I'll definitely keep. Both I wouldn't expect to pay more that $25 for; and 2 or 3 others I'll probably keep that I wouldn't pay more than $15 for. Won't comment on rest.
Is there a checklist for this set yet? Highest Patch and medallion I pulled is #16.
Got:
Autos: Willie Garson (movie), Ed Repka, Jim Nelson, Len Brown, Eric Peterson, Brian Haley(movie).
4 medallions; 6 patches.
Heritage parallel: still short a set as first case had 18 dupes.
2 graffiti cards, but same card.

I'd like to finish a concepts set, but based on odds of pulling and current BINs, don't think I want to spend all that. As a collector, I'd have preferred that odds for all the gold, concepts, gore sets were the same. Sure lots more would look to complete those sets then.

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Extra Gore is only a 10-card set, so that might attract more completists. For the working checklist, on the auction site, so far I've seen 11 Medallions numbered through MM-15 and 11 Patches numbered through MP-16. 43/58 Concept Art and 39/58 Base Artist autos. 5 Classic Creator, 2 Comic Creator, and 5 Movie autos; not counting unseen but advertised Norem and Giffen. 65 different sketch artists so far.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well of the 8 sketches you pulled, I'd be happy with 3 (Smith, Chalker and Dening) and that's the problem with Mars Attacks. On the plus side more autographs are always good and the other patch/decals are a nice touch, even though I don't put much value in manufactured pieces.

The best card you got was that Pam Grier autograph. Thumb Up

The worst; I don't even know what that first sketch is supposed to be. Big Grin

The Lyndal Ferguson "Death to Mars" is pretty awesome in that lot, Ray-ray. Indeed, I'd say that one and the Chalker are the "case" hits where the sketches are concerned. I've found in most one sketch per box Topps releases, there are pretty much two nice-to-really nice ones and the rest vary widely in quality and usually bottom out pretty well for the last couple. I didn't go in for a case of this, but I did with MA Heritage, and sure enough, two of my sketches were great, two were dreck, and the other four were somewhere in between. Sketch wise, this is exactly what I expected for this series, but as you mentioned, at least there's all the other stuff in there, too. I'm glad a lot of this is being broken down, it seems. That should make the minimasters available at a pretty nice price for buyers, for a while at least.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concept parallels are all 58 story cards. Artist autos are almost an entire 58 card set, with the sole exception of Greg Staples' 3 cards.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Here are the results of my 2nd case:

David Green, Tod Allen Smith and Paul Adam

Sam Gambino and a pair by Marck Labas

Robert Teranishi and Jeremy Scott

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Here's my 5 Box Break:

Box 1:
Chris West Sketch
MP1 Patch Card
#24 The Shrinking Ray - Buy Back Card

Box 2
MM-5 Medallion Card
Patrick Hamill Sketch

Box 3
Only the Joe Jusko Auto
I knew i would be short an insert when a pack was extra thin and only had 4 cards in it.

Box 4:
A Munchkin Apocalypse card
Charles Adlard Auto
Mark Finneral Sketch

Box 5:
Pam Grier Auto
Xay or Jay Sketch?????

Other side of the World of Munchkin Card

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LUZNDAVE,

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
One box...
1 base set
2 gold base parallels 40,92
4 masterpieces 2,3,4,5
3 early missions 1,5,6
2 anatomy 3,4
4 posters 1,2,3,4
6 heritage 7,16,41,45,52,55
1 sketch - Fleming
1 auto F.Welker-martian voice
1 extra gore GOLD sp #28 1:1,113 Eek

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to pick up one case of these cards and would have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results:

Patches, Medallion and Cyan #45 Printing Plate

A nice collection of autograph cards:

And a really nice selection of sketches. the only let down being one piece of a 4 or 6 part puzzle:

Tom Krohne, Robert Jimenez, Mark Finneral
Mike Hampton, Dan Brereton, Chris Hamer
Darrin Pepe, Tim Proctor

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I really wish thet Topps would not have the atist's signature defacing part of the drawing. Had they shrunk the art down or made the signing box smaller it would have made for a more attractive looking card. I will be looking for work in a few weeks-hey TOPPS HOW ABOUT A CULSULTING JOB FROM A TRUE COLLECTOR?

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
My last 4 boxes arrived. I'm very happy with these. In addition to the cards posted I received a Munchkin Apocalypse card, an Extra Gore card, and a Parallel Graffiti Card that ready hard to notice. 10 Gold cards, and no black and white cards.

Box 1:
Black Printing Plate #76
Micheal Locoduck Duran Sketch

Box 2, 3, & 4
Mark Finneral Sketch
Zina Saunders Autograph

Dave Palumbo Auto Card #38
Patrick Hamill Sketch

Jason Adams Sketch
MP-3 Patch card

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I've been getting packs of thee for a week, when my box arrived Saturday.
I opened almost all the packs - and nothing - no hits. I had to leave to go someplace with my wife, and when I got back, there were 6 packs un-opened.

Opened 2 of them - still no hits. Then I got a printing plate - was happy for that. The next pack had the sketch. Then in the next pack, another printing plate.

When I opened my box of Mars Attacks Heritage I also got2 printing plates, they were stuck together in one pack.

Also found 2 gold foils, and an extra gore card.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a checklist for this set yet? You would think Topps would post this somewhere. I don't think there is a checklist card but if there is I did not get one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FRANK AMICO,

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:
Very surprised to see Zina signed full name. I guess she did this in honor of her dad.

I have one of her autographs from an earlier MA set where she only signed "Zina" in ballpoint.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like you hit the Martian lottery. Got a patch and an OK sketch in mine. I doesn't look like a Martian, more like an octopus in a helmet.

Outside of the front having some more blood are the extra gore cards different on the back or called something different on the back? If not, you could easily overlook the front not knowing the slight difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I've been getting packs of thee for a week, when my box arrived Saturday.
I opened almost all the packs - and nothing - no hits. I had to leave to go someplace with my wife, and when I got back, there were 6 packs un-opened.

Opened 2 of them - still no hits. Then I got a printing plate - was happy for that. The next pack had the sketch. Then in the next pack, another printing plate.

When I opened my box of Mars Attacks Heritage I also got2 printing plates, they were stuck together in one pack.

Also found 2 gold foils, and an extra gore card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FRANK AMICO,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That buy back card does not look mint.

quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:
Here's my 5 Box Break:

Box 1:
Chris West Sketch
MP1 Patch Card
#24 The Shrinking Ray - Buy Back Card

Box 2
MM-5 Medallion Card
Patrick Hamill Sketch

Box 3
Only the Joe Jusko Auto
I knew i would be short an insert when a pack was extra thin and only had 4 cards in it.

Box 4:
A Munchkin Apocalypse card
Charles Adlard Auto
Mark Finneral Sketch

Box 5:
Pam Grier Auto
Xay or Jay Sketch?????

Other side of the World of Munchkin Card

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:
That buy back card does not look mint.

I don't believe they were ever claimed to be mint. Hardcore Mars Attacks collectors would probably have a heart attack if they foil stamped mint copies!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They actually said specifically they were mid-grade cards, not mint ones.

And Ted is right. Never mind the foil stamp, if you have original Mars Attacks cards in high grade, you wouldn't even want Len Brown himself to autograph those, since those that approach pristine should not be defaced in any way, even with a cool autograph.

There is only a finite number of truly high grade examples of these cards, but low to mid grade copies are relatively common. This is pretty much true of all collectibles (cards and comics, certainly) from 1962.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post