Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Indiana Jones Masterpieces (Topps 2008)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/6611083903

December 10, 2008, 11:27 PM
glim
Indiana Jones Masterpieces (Topps 2008)
I got a box of Indy and got the following sketches...

I believe this is a Gerlach:

Then I got this MASTERPIECE!!!

Can anyone tell me what the sketch is of?

And who drew it???

Sorry for the sarcasm... But I am sure everyone understands.
December 11, 2008, 01:14 AM
mintoncard
Topps should be ashamed of themselves by now. I don't care how many "great" sketches are pulled for this release, there is NO excuse for putting sketches like the one above into a box with the word MASTERPIECE printed on it.

In THIS economy, that kind of card is unacceptable.
December 11, 2008, 01:40 AM
Nat
I wonder if those unsigned whip cards are Waterhouse. His past skull and monkey sketches were done in the same texta (marker).
December 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
zhamlau
the whip sketchs ARE unsigned, so that should tell you something about what the "artist" thinks of their work...yeah, 20 secouns a sketch, maybe 30 on the outside....get 2 bucks, plus your 9 back for an extra grand or two if your decent...4 bucks a minute, 240 dollars an hour to draw circle whips...yeah...rock-n-roll

December 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Bryan Shaffer
Same argument, different set. Don't buy the products if you don't like them, and don't complain unless you have invested in the product.

The same argument in 100 different threads isn't going to change anything that Topps does. Be creative and write them a letter or boycott (as in do not purchase ANYTHING from them) their products. There is a thread to complain about Topps already somewhere on this forum so lets not do this again and clutter a thread up with the same arguments.

If you think it is so bad then submit your OWN artwork to Topps and try to get a job for them and then you can exploit their pay system and we can all complain about your sketches
December 11, 2008, 05:08 PM
Poohbear
I think we all have the right to complain or comment on a sketch we pull if we don't like it..
Heck, I got TWO WHIPS in my case..and a couple of Woodall sketches that are nothing to write home about.
BUT..I LOVE the rest of my case, and am very happy with what I got.
16 sketches..
2 panoramic sketches..
3 or 4 gold parallels..
1 printing plate..

Very happy with my case over-all, and I think I might pick up a few more cases.
I just don't see why it's wrong to complain about a sketch that someone isn't happy with...if it bothers someone so much don't read the post. Just my opinion.

Anyway..
I'll post some more pics of the sketches I pulled after I get them scanned.
Nice sketches venom5liter and glim!!! Clap
Good luck to everyone breaking cases and boxes!!!
December 11, 2008, 05:38 PM
Bryan Shaffer
It's a problem because the same three or four people complain about the exact same thing every time a Topps set comes out and it gets incredibly old to see it in every single thread.

I've got 10 Whips already from the cases I opened but 90% of this set is great art. With the exception of a FEW artists this set is full of Masterpieces and those FEW artists are greatly reduced over previous Topps sets.
December 11, 2008, 06:45 PM
mintoncard
Bryan, I know you are very "pro-Topps", but to include scribble-sketches in a hobby box during THIS economy is unforgivable. (Let alone in a series called MASTERPIECE.) It's a fact that other companies read (and post) in these forums. So, I can think of no better place to voice an opinion about an inferior product.

And of course people who buy multiple cases are going to have a different perspective on this issue. I'm looking at this through the eyes of collectors who buy single boxes. (Or even single packs for that matter).

I'm not trying to debate or argue about anything here. I'm just saying that Topps has a lot of nerve to continue to bait-and-switch the collector time and time again.
December 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
Bryan Shaffer
They didn't bait and switch anyone. They showed a couple quality samples on the sales sheets, and they never said that those "bad" types of sketches wouldn't make it into packs. They never advertised NO WOODSIDE OR WATERHOUSE on any sales sheets, so there was no bait and switch.

The point is, you and a couple others bringing up the same argument in every single thread is just stupid. I don't care what the name of the set is, and I don't care about the economy. The sketches stink, but it's Topps, you know they are going to be in packs. I'm not even posting breakdowns on NSU anymore, because I know that you and a couple others will find something to complain about from MY pulls that I am HAPPY with.

You complain about those sketches, but you forget that until this set went live. IT WAS ONE SKETCH PER BOX. People preordered thinking they would be getting a single sketch in a box. How about giving Topps credit for cutting their own product down ***because of the economy*** and giving collectors more for their money. These bad sketches are falling 2-3 per case out of 16-18 sketches. Thats not bad considering you were only getting 8-9 sketches up until the set went live.

I'm not pro topps, i'm not Pro any company, every single company has had their good and bad products. I just don't like to read the same complaints in every single freaking thread on this board when it comes to Topps. There is a thread for complaining about Topps, keep the complaints there. This is a BREAKDOWN thread.

Here are a couple threads to complain in:

https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/9171053382/p/1

&

https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6681057472/p/1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bryan Shaffer,
December 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
mintoncard
I rest my case.
December 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
webjon
Let's keep this thread on topic (Box Breakdowns for IJ Masterpieces).

Thanks,

Jon
December 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
Chris Byrne
lol. sorry but i can't resist.
if you all continue to buy these types or releases, then you'll have to deal with these sketches. TOPPS hasn't and probably is going to change their choice of artists...

oh, BTW nice sketches! Wink
December 12, 2008, 08:19 AM
Haljordanfan
I'm on the same side as Bryan here. I prefer Topps 9/10 times. Especially over RA. With RA it's the same thing everytime you purchase. 1 sketch per box and IMO thats BLAH! Topps keep it interesting. The plates, autos, 1/1 foils etc.... I pulled 2 McHaley's from one case and that was the weakest of my 3 case break. I totaled 8 bad sketches out of 48 and I was only supposed to get 24 sketches (this isn't including the panoramics I pulled).
December 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
Alex
Hi everyone.
Just pick up the last box at my card shop and this is my box breakdown:

1 base set
1 Bronze Parallel 2of 9
4 Foil Etched 1, 2, 3, 5
6 Foil cards 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9
2 Sketch cards;
http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=johnwatkinschowup6.jpg
http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=howardshumop7.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alex,
December 12, 2008, 03:35 PM
DaveSB
Please as Jon asked keep this to Box Breakdowns.I have removed a post that was not a breakdown and was directed at an individual and was factually incorrect.

December 13, 2008, 12:06 AM
xtime
Gold Parallel 8/99...

Which is better a company that says let them eat cake, or a public that says more cake please?

December 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
igman7
Here are my pulls from 2 hobby boxes and some retail packs...

retail

Hobby Box 1

Hobby Box 2

December 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
Forever Man
Picked up a cheap box and was pretty happy with my results.

Mola Ram by Jake Myler

Major Toht by Katie Mcdee

http://s155.photobucket.com/al...7/Shootingstarpress/
For Her I Can Be A Hero!
December 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
Bryan Shaffer
I got two boxes in the mail and I am PRETTY SURE I made out like a bandit...or a Raider. Either way I am happy. Need help on two of the artists though.

Indy by Randy Martinez
Indy by Eric Maell
Willie by ???
Indy and Marion by J. Scott Campbell Elephant Dance
Panoramic Indy and Willie by Howard Shum

I HATED the first could indy sets but this one is looking pretty good Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bryan Shaffer,
December 18, 2008, 05:59 PM
anjee
wow that campbell is a beaut!!! congrats on a great pull! Clap