Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Prominant Cuts (Upper Deck)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prominant Cuts (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted
My local dealer got a shipment of this product in. It's a high end $40ish a pack product similar to Donruss Americana with a mix of celebrities, politicians, MMA fighters, and sports personalities. The hook is that there is a cut signature card in every 5 pack box. I tried a box and I think I did well.

- Cage Fighter Signatures Rashad Evans
- Cage Fighter Signatures Renditions Lyoto Machida

- Hollywood History Swatch of Shirt Worn By Tom Hanks in "Forrest Gump"
- Hollywood History Premium Swatch of Costume Worn by Mike Myers in "Goldmember" 37/40

- Prominent Cuts Rosalind Russell Cut Autograph 1/1

This looks like it's out of somebodies scrapbook. The little picture in the corner is a separate piece that has been pasted in there. I assume the original autograph collector did it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DewMan,

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did look at this but I am not a fan of MMA and they appear to make up the bulk of the product.

Also as usual it appears Upper Deck did not get the rights to use any pictures from the films relating to the swatches,Hence the very plain and very poor design.

The cut signature is nice but I would worry about it staying on the card.Normally I would expect it to be inset into the card with a raised border round it to prevent a corner accidentally being lifted.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted Hide Post
how is the signature attached to the card? it looks quite flimsy.

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rns91294
posted Hide Post
I would love a Tom Hanks costume from Forest Gump, but would much rather prefer it if it had his picture on it. Shame they didn't get the rights.

Posts: 183 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glen87:
how is the signature attached to the card? it looks quite flimsy.

It seems to be glued solidly on the card. I didn't pick at it to see if the corners are coming up or anything but I didn't notice anything wrong when I pulled it and sleeved it.

And yeah, it would have been nice to get the actors pictures on the material swatch cards and the cuts.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the break, nice to see, and I think you did well. I'd love that piece of the Austin Power Goldmember costume even without a photo of Mike Myers on it. Is that shiny gold lame' material?

Upper Deck is often (deservedly) pounded for business practices, but in terms of the cards themselves, I've also always loved their designs and photograph selection, it goes all the way back to 1989 baseball, still a classic iin my mind. Now with theirs baseball card options limited (Topps is the sole official MLB cardmaker), I hope Upper Deck does more non-sports.

I didn't go in on Donruss Americana even though there are many great autographs in those series I'd love to have. I'll probably have to skip these, too, and for largely the same reason, money, especially with the new Razor coming to take all my money away.

But also, the Americana type sets I've found to actually have too wide a variety of autograph subjects (and WAY too many unnecessary variations). In the end it all just seems arbitrary and kind of thrown together.

The best autograph card sets are organized and focused, with signers all related the (preferably) single project being depicted in the regular set. I treasure my Inkworks Simpsons, Marvel Silver Age, and Twilight Zone autograph sets for that very reason.

I have the same feeling about sketch card sets. While there are literally thousands of sketch cards I'd love to have by hundreds of artists whose work I enjoy, in the end 99% of those artists have nothing to do with the original popularity of the subject that inspired the card set they are drawing for. So in the end, the cards by those not involved in the original creation of the property have no real meaning to me. That's purely from a card collecting standpoint, of course. Beyond cards, they are certainly individual works of art with their own merits, and I'm glad to have a handful of those, too.

But I digress, big time! Thanks again for the break! Hopefully, I'll add one too, before these are gone.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mentioned Upper Deck losing out on baseball offerings, but they are the exclusive NHL license.

Kind of "sneaky" for a lack of better term, they seem to have bought the names "Fleer" "Parkhurst" "Be a Player" "OPC" and the associated offerings under them. I have talked to several hockey collectors who were "happy to see some more companies in the mix" - not knowing that Upper Deck was the producing all of them.

That being said, I do like most of their NHL offerings with 1 exception. They seem to be noted for making high price sets contain low serial numbered patch cards that contain 1 color. Not exactly what I expect when paying $30 per pack and getting a single color patch card numbered out of 5.

I didn't buy much Americana, but might try this one as I collect sports and nonsports.

Posts: 30 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan MacKeller:
You mentioned Upper Deck losing out on baseball offerings, but they are the exclusive NHL license.

Not as of Wednesday. Starting next season, Panini will be making hockey cards.

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That Rosalind Russell autograph is a nice pull, although the card design is lacking. There is only so much you can do with cuts and that appears to be a big signature, but the scan is hard to judge. Still you did well with that one.

For the rest, at $40.00 a pack a Cage Fighter's autograph is useless to me and random swatch cards don't do much for me either. I'd like to see a lot more breaks on this product before jumping in.

I feel the same as chesspieceface in that the wide variety of autographs and pieceworks that get thrown into this type of "set" make it hard to randomly pull something that you might actually be interested in.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tragicend
posted Hide Post
raven- if you buy some i may be interested in the mma autographs you dont have a use for Smile

nice pulls on the machida and evans too!

Posts: 258 | Location: Homer Glen, IL | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tragicend:
raven- if you buy some i may be interested in the mma autographs you dont have a use for Smile
/QUOTE]
You'll be the first one I call, I wouldn't know a cage fighter if I fell over him. Big Grin

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Wax Wombat
posted Hide Post
This set seems so hodgepodge to me... totally thrown together for the sake of pushing out product.

Posts: 52 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: June 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan MacKeller:

Kind of "sneaky" for a lack of better term, they seem to have bought the names "Fleer" "Parkhurst" "Be a Player" "OPC" and the associated offerings under them. I have talked to several hockey collectors who were "happy to see some more companies in the mix" - not knowing that Upper Deck was the producing all of them.

I loved those Upper Deck hockey sets of the early 90's. Incredible photography! I don't know much about modern hockey cards, but I did want to touch on the Parkhurst brand.

Parkhurst was basically to Hockey Card in Canada in the 50's and 60's what Topps was to baseball cards in America during the same era. After having been dormant through the 70's and 80's, the Parkhurst hockey brand was first revived by the short lived (mostly football) card company ProSet in the early 1990's, and they did manage to make a couple of nice sets of (then) modern players. Once ProSet went out of business, Upper Deck got the rights to the brand and used it to create 3 absolutely incredible set of Vintage Parkhurst cards, the so-called "missing link" sets. These Parkies weren't reprints, but rather complete brand new sets of cards made in the appropriate style for the years (1 in the 50's and 2 in the 60's) that for whatever reason, Parkhurst didn't issue a set. These 3 Upper Deck Parkhurst sets are loaded with Hall of Famers shown in their playing days, and are each beautifully realized depictions of what might have been. One set is in the Tall Boy format while the other 2 are standard card sized. They were all issued in normal packs (even the wrappers were vintage styles), and no factory sets were made for any of them.

Considering what must have been a low profit margin on them thanks to a very limited production, these sets really are special, and I believe a result of someone in those days at Upper Deck's flat out love of classic hockey.

In fact, every so often when I take those cards out to look at them, I don't really even see them as sportscards. To me, they are more like art cards, which makes them non-sports. Whatever, I'm glad Upper Deck made them, and I'm really glad I was around to get them when they first came out.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
meanwhile....
Steven Spielberg and Barrack Obama cut signatures are on ebay!

I did some research - the RAREST card in the set is the QUAD cut signature featuring the group KISS (4 autographs!).
There is only 1 Quad cut signature,
19 Dual cut signatures and
OVER 900 single cut signatures!

but i'm sure some of the single cut signatures like ELVIS and Michael Jackson would fetch alot more bucks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PaNdeM0niuM,

Posts: 260 | Location: Downunder | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaNdeM0niuM:
meanwhile....
Steven Spielberg and Barrack Obama cut signatures are on ebay!

I did some research - the RAREST card in the set is the QUAD cut signature featuring the group KISS (4 autographs!).
There is only 1 Quad cut signature,
19 Dual cut signatures and
OVER 900 single cut signatures!

but i'm sure some of the single cut signatures like ELVIS and Michael Jackson would fetch alot more bucks!

If one wants to get nit-picky, there's just under 900 cut signatures and all the 1/1 cards would have equal rarity - but the KISS card is the only quad autograph in the release.

Here's a link to the complete checklist that I compiled directly from Upper Deck:
Upper Deck Prominent Cuts Checklist

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm tempted to buy a box.

But for 200 bucks, its a little risky.
I might pull a cut signature from some D-list celebrity.

- there are so many cool cut-signatures
Mother Theresa
Sigmond Freud !!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PaNdeM0niuM,

Posts: 260 | Location: Downunder | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
I broke one box and three packs of this today

Box
Cage Fighter autos of Ken Shamrock and Loyoto Machida

Hollywood History Dual Materials Rachel McAdams/Anne Hathaway 24/88

Hollywood History Relic of Brittney Spears Jeans part of the back pocket

Prominent Cuts Art Carney 070/118

Packs yielded:

Hollywood History pants of Will Rogers

Hollywood History Dual Materials Will Rogers / Frank Sinatra 07/25

Prominent Cuts Debbie Reynolds 45/65

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
nicely done igman Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Bruce Lee 1/1 has been found and is up for auction!!!

I would love to own that.
Can't afford it unfortunately.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
I like that Spears jean pocket. It has more character than many of the swatch cards in this set.