Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Masterwork (Topps, 2015)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Masterwork (Topps, 2015)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted
I was wrestling with myself on weather to pop or flip my case. Needless to say, I am darn glad that I opened it.

1 full set of the non-sp base cards plus extras of 3, 12, 18, 23, 47, 41
Scum & Villainy 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10
Defining Moments 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10
Companions 3, 4, 6, 8, 10
SP Base 51, 56, 57, 60, 63, 69, 70, 72

Blue Base 5, 7, 11, 14, 16, 21, 24, 27, 31, 32, 39, 41, 47,48, 55,57, 61,64, 66, 70,75

Silver/Gold Base 1, 17, 21, 39, 44, 51, 68, 75 (21, 44 & 68 are all 86/99)

Green Base 21, 49 (01/50), 65

Rainbow Foil Scum & Villainy #/299 2, 6, 9
Canvas Scum & Villainy 3 (01/99)
Wood Scum & Villainy 8 (35/50)

Rainbow Foil Defining Moments #/299 6, 8, 10
Canvas Defining Moments 5 (37/99)

Rainbow Foil Companions #/299 3, 8, 10
Canvas Companions #/99 6, 9

Finally, the good stuff...

Box 2

Ingrid Hardy

Box 3

Jeff Confer

Box 4

Jeff Mallinson

Box 5

Possibly Stephon Taylor?

Not sure but stunning!

Box 6

Jeff Carlisle

Box 7

Pablo Diaz 9/15 Gold

Box 8

Mikey Babinski

So, that about sums things up...what? I didn't show box 1? Oops, sorry for that.

Jason Flowers

and

this

little

thing

BOOM-Shaka-Laka!

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Nice cards!

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Igman. That Luke is the definition of one of a kind.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
My local shop had trouble getting these, and I actually wound up paying a little more for my 2 packs.
Got 6 base cards, (2 blue parallel, one of them a short print)
1 Companions
1 Scum and Villainy
1 silver shield bunker frame relic, 6/77
1 Autograph Ralph Brown as Ric Olie 28/28 with silver metal frame

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Busted one case.

Autos
Regular:
Pam Rose (Leesub Sirln)
Wayne Pygram (Grand Moff Tarkin)
Zachariah Jensen (Kit Fisto)
John Ratzenberger (Major Bren Derlin)
Mike Quinn (Nien Nunb)
Julian Glover (General Veers)
Amy Allen (Aayla Secura)
Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett)

Parallels:
Gerald Home (Tessek) Canvas #09/10
Dermot Crowley (General Madine) Canvas #10/10
Gerald Home (Tessek) Silver Frame #04/28

Bunker Panel Relics
Silver:
R2-D2 Inner Panel #11/77
Bronze:
R2-D2 Inner Panel #219/255
Han Solo(x2) Frame #95 & #136/155
Storm Trooper Inner Panel #142/255

Inserts
Bronze Medallion Cards: Lando Calrissian - Blaster; Darth Vader - Luke's Lightsaber; Anakin Skywalker - Mace Windu's Lightsaber
Silver Medallion Cards: Boba Fett - Blaster Rifle #20/50
Gold Medallion Cards: Darth Vader - Lightsaber #03/10
Companions: Regular - C-1,2,5,7,9,10; Rainbow Foil - C-1,3,6; Canvas C-4
Scum and Villainy: Regular - SV-3,5,6,7,9; Rainbow Foil - SV-3,5,8; Canvas - SV-1; Wood - SV-2
Defining Moments: Regular - DM-3,5,6(x2),8,9,10; Rainbow Foil - DM-1,6,7; Canvas - DM-7, Metal - DM-9

Base
Regular: Missing 7 to complete regular base (1-50), 13 extras
SP Base Cards: 52,53,58,61,66,68,71,75
Blue Parallel: 1,2,3,8,10,17,23,26,35,37,40,42,46,52,53,54,60,64,65,67,68
Green Parallel: 9,38,44,49,60
Gold Parallel: 4,28,34,44,63,73

Sketches

Silver:
Cad Bane by Mike Vasquez(?), Clone Trooper by Lee Kohse, Darth Maul by Bill Maus
Luke & Yoda by Jon Morris, Jabba by Mark Labas, Leia by Mary Bellamy

Gold:
Ahsoka Tano by Jamie Snell (5/5), Luke by Kevin Doyle (4/10), Boba Fett by Robert Jimenez (4/5)

Wood:
Anakin by Jeffery Benitez, Darth Vader by Rich Molinelli

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I opened a Master box (4 mini-boxes). I got:
Auto: Paul Brooke (Malakili)
Stamp Relic
Two sketches:

Clone Trooper (Brent Ragland), Lando (Jeffrey Benetiz)

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
1 box...
7 base 3,12,18,37,41,47,49
1 base gold 10/99
1 SP 71
1 blue base 2
1 SP blue 59
1 SP green 56 45/50
1 Scum & Villainy SV-4
1 Scum & Villainy SV-3 foil 227/299
1 Companions C-9 foil 213/299
1 Defining Moments DM-8 98/99
1 Shield Bunker Han Solo 38/77
1 auto JGlover - Gen.Veers 3/10
2 color sketches
- Imperial Speedbike Trooper by BillP
- Yoda by Chris West Thumb Up

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Nice pulls...Bring some mini's to the Chicago show if you have any left.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I opened 3 boxes, I ordered 4 - a bit disappointing, but lets move on.

I received
25 base cards 1-50
3 base cards 51-75
4 base blue (out of 299?)
2 base gold (out of 99)
2 base silver (out of 50)
3 defining moments (blue)
1 defining moments (out of 299)
3 scum and villainy
2 scum and villainy (out of 299)
2 companions
1 companions (out of 99)
3 badges (1 out of 50, 2 out of 129)
4 sketches - one of them a beaut by Lim Lak)
5 autos Ashley Eckstein , Tim Rose, Ralph Brown, Bonnie Piesse, Carrie Fisher.

A nice set, but where the hell am I going to go from here.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, you could trade for the rest of the cards for the base set and for the regular insert sets. You could use the sketches to finish up some of the tougher sets, like the one per box SP base cards. If you're more into sketches, you can trade the regular cards for those. This is one of those "pick and choose type" sets. I couldn't afford these with some other stuff I've been getting lately, but boy, I'd have gotten rid of the stamp and relic cards so quickly the buyer would still smell the Topps shrinkwrap. There was just too much in the set I wouldn't have even wanted including most of the sketches, but boy, had the release been just those regular non-parallel base and chase card sets and the autographs, that would have been ideal for me, and a lot cheaper, haha.
With the low serial numbers and so many 1 of 1's, there will likely never be a master set of this made, not even close. Even "Mini-masters" will be unusual. Good luck, and congrats on the Carrie Fisher. I'm sure that's a beautiful card.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Well, you could trade for the rest of the cards for the base set and for the regular insert sets. You could use the sketches to finish up some of the tougher sets, like the one per box SP base cards. If you're more into sketches, you can trade the regular cards for those. This is one of those "pick and choose type" sets. I couldn't afford these with some other stuff I've been getting lately, but boy, I'd have gotten rid of the stamp and relic cards so quickly the buyer would still smell the Topps shrinkwrap. There was just too much in the set I wouldn't have even wanted including most of the sketches, but boy, had the release been just those regular non-parallel base and chase card sets and the autographs, that would have been ideal for me, and a lot cheaper, haha.
With the low serial numbers and so many 1 of 1's, there will likely never be a master set of this made, not even close. Even "Mini-masters" will be unusual. Good luck, and congrats on the Carrie Fisher. I'm sure that's a beautiful card.

Thanks for your advice. Its a difficult one, but have now picked a route, and hopefully I will come out the other side.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been watching the arc of these, price-wise.
They were scheduled for Dec. 2014 but delayed a couple of months. If you pre-ordered, you could get 8 box cases for around $1,500, so about $190 per box (of 4 mini-boxes, basically premium packs). That means each mini-box (pack) would be had for about $48 at pre-order.
By the eventual release earlier this month, they got to almost $300 a box or $75 per pack, but have come back down a bit and were available (last night anyway) for about $260 a box, or $65 per pack.

There is something unusual about these that makes them a little like lottery tickets and that's that as the most desired 1 of 1 cards are found, there is necessarily a little less value perceived to be in sealed boxes that remain, which is probably the only reason any of this is left at all. When the big prizes are won for certain scratcher games, the state lottery out here will do incentives to sell off the rest of the tickets, and there's a hotline to find out which prizes from which games have already been claimed. The card equivalent of that is every high dollar card that shows up in box breakdowns in Forums like these, or else in auctions on Ebay and elsewhere.

This set also seems to be driven by the choice autographs (and especially the parallel versions) this deluxe version delivers especially since the sketches are really no different than the sketches found in every previous Star Wars release that had sketches. I guess the upgrade would be that for the first time in a Star Wars product you can find an entire sketch puzzle in one "pack".

I'm still on the fence about picking up at least one box, but I'm hoping they sell out before I pull the trigger. Big Grin
If I do, I'll be sure to post the results...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like your analogy CPF, but it has a couple of differences for card collectors. If someone is just buying in order to rip and flip, that is gambling. If they are buying because they are collecting the product, it is still luck of the draw, but they are likely to want to keep that 1/1. Higher end products will attract more gamblers, so a Masterwork type is going to be more like a lottery to those people who have no other interest in the cards.

I think CA state lotteries must be different, because in NY the scratch offs are pulled in when the big prize is won. There are no incentives to buy the rest and the winning information is available on line.

As for the trading card equivalent, it's a lot harder to judge. How does anyone know when all the big hits or 1/1s have been found? How does anyone know how many boxes have not been opened or how many hits remain in sealed boxes? How do you even know how many big hits were produced, since numbers rarely get reported? Some big cards will go up for sale, some collectors will display their breaks, but many more big hits will go straight into collections and no one will know where they are now or even if they were ever made. This is especially true of sketches. Can you imagine all of the wonderful 1/1 sketches that collectors have that may never be seen until someone else dumps them at a yard sale. Wink

Actually that's a pretty sad thought.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Your too kind, Raven. What I said wouldn't even rise to the level of an analogy, but the limited nature of certain hits just sort of called to mind for me the lottery scratcher tickets, with the availability of the top prizes very much in the minds of people who buy those tickets. With our lottery, you can check online or even by phone as to exactly which prizes have been claimed.

With Masterwork, the big pull has to be those triple autograph booklets that have the trio of Luke, Leia, and Han. One has been found for sure, so there's one left, unless it's known that that the other has been pulled, too. There were some 1 of 1 autographs and the Luke has been found for sure, by Igman on this very board, happy to say. There are 5 cut signatures, the one of Lobot was found. Even so, it's true, we'll never know that ALL of the best auto and parallel cards have been pulled until pretty much the last box has been cracked, and with Star Wars cards, the presence of the sketches alone would guarantee an eventual sell through even if we knew that EVERY rare autograph and parallel was pulled.

Mostly, my ruminations were just on why the boxes started at 200 bucks, went to 300 right away, and then fell back to about 260. It's all academic, really, as these will soon be gone with the last boxes, when the time comes, selling for well over $300. There's virtually no way there won't be a sequel to this set, so start saving those hundred bills, interested parties...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
There are 5 cut signatures, the one of Lobot was found.

I think the Cushing and Guinness are the only ones that haven't surfaced yet.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind my asking, what site are you pulling the data from for found hits. Igman posted his beauty here, but not too many other breaks appear. So is it just watching eBay or is there a Star Wars spot? Thanks.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it... Cool
Base sets, hits and more will likely be available at the spring Chicago show.

Jump the pond. Bouncey

Or, ride the wave. Surf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xtime,

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will these base sets be from Topps or just late case breakers. I've been wanting to buy one for myself but at $75 and up still too much for me.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Had a 2 case group break and I wanted to post the first two boxes I opened in the first case. They were out of this world (pun intended)

Peter Mayhew autograph
Yoda Gold Medallion (5/10)
Companions black printing plate Luke & Leia
AT-AT sketch by Mick and Matt Glebe
Luke Skywalker Shield Bunker: Frame (4/77)
Leia sketch by Charles Hall
Ken Colley foil autograph (21/25)
James Earl Jones framed autograph redemption

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
With one base set per case you may want to jump on a $75 set while you can.
Good hunting. Thumb Up