Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Return of the Jedi 3-D Widevision (Topps, 2014)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Return of the Jedi 3-D Widevision (Topps, 2014)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
Six boxes here.

These are the seven sketches, one of which is also a relic card.

Bob Stevlic WEDGE ANTILLES
Rich Molinelli BOUSHH and CHEWIE
Brian DeGuire CHEWIE
Elfie Lebouleux. HAN SOLO
Robert Teranishi LEIA on ENDOR
Dan Bergren EWOK RELIC
Kevin Doyle LUKE and STORMTROOPER

As for the rest, there were five patches (three towards a set but doubles of Luke/Vader and no Jabba at all) and 3 autographs (none of the biggies). The Ewok patch I got is not shown in picture below.

The base set is beautiful, a fitting conclusion to a trilogy of sets begun nearly 20 years ago. A really nice touch is that the reverse side of each card #1 in every set is sequentially numbered out of 2,000 (matching the number hand-written on the side of each box), ensuring that even if these sets are reprinted, we'll always know that these were the first editions.

Thanks, Topps, for finally getting it done! I hope that 3D sets are made for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, and even moreso, for the upcoming movies going forward.

I've always enjoyed 3-D and lenticular style cards, and this marries them to one of my favorite film series. What's not to love?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
The Brian DeGuire CHEWIE is great.

Also, congrats on getting an "appropriate" prop & sketch combo. (The sketch could have been of Jabba the Hutt or something unrelated to Ewoks.)

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, 3 autos and a sketch relic out of 4 boxes? Were those boxes all in order?

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean 6

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rich Molinelli did your Chewie / Boushh sketch.

Nice pulls all round!

Posts: 55 | Location: North Wales | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Floater, I'll amend.

The boxes were mostly in sequence, but missing a couple of the numbers.

A fellow just posted a 4 box break on the Scoundrel Forum that boasted four regular sketches, THREE Relic sketches AND a Hamill autograph for good measure. The Autos are an extra hit, so that means he got only one patch card in 4 boxes, basically just incredible luck.

These are showing sold out at the Topps website again, and even if they have a few left at Topps, there can't be many at this point. It'll be interesting to see what a sealed box sells for this time next year, and also if the base sets increase from their current of value of $25 or so once most of those out there for that price get absorbed into people's collections.

I wonder if there will someday be a second printing of the base set. It might have to happen to satisfy demand. I could even see a Trilogy type 3-D set that encompasses all three films. They could pretty much reprint the three existing sets with possibly some new images thrown in. The "Empire" set is plentiful, but the "New Hope" set isn't exactly common, either, and it'd be great to see it on the modern technology which allows for thinner cards and less surface damage than what they had back in the mid 1990's when the original set was made.

Oh well, my vacation is over, so it's back to work in a couple of hours. It was nice to have not only a couple of days to attend and then decompress from Comic-Con, but also time to do a bunch of posts on this board. Oh well, back to reality...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I agree. A New Hope reissue with the thinner back lenticulars would be nice.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are mine-- I guess a little better than my last jedi legacy fiasco

8 boxes-- (more than I should have)

Rancor - Pence Jabbas Palace- Hamill Throne Room- Kezele Bubo -???

OWK- Darrin Pepe Salacious- Zapata Wedge- Christian St. Pierre Rebo Band-- Mikey

Fett- Goad Ewok- Eric Lehtonen

Posts: 29 | Location: Shelbyville, KY | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Great Fisher auto and 2 great prop/sketch combos!

Looked closer at the Fett sketch. Very funny and well done.

posted Hide Post
MY 2 BOX BREAK
URL=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/thalm/media/CCF08012014_0001.jpg.html] [/URL]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHALM,

Posts: 22 | Location: AMERICA | Registered: February 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 box break:

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My four boxes arrived this morning and I think I did really well on the sketches. Not a bad one to be seen Smile! The breakdown of hits in the boxes was:

Box 0737:
Ewok Patch
Scott Rorie sketch Speeder Rider Closeup

Box 0740:
Luke Skywalker Patch
Gabe Farber sketch - Max Rebo
Oola Auto

Box 0741:
Jabba the Hutt Patch
Tomoco Taniguchi sketch - Luke at Darth Vader's Funeral Pyre

Box 0742:
Ewok Patch
Chris Henderson sketch Gamorrean Guard (cross-eyed Big Grin)

A relic in place of the second Ewok Patch would have been nice but that's probably my only cause for complaint. The lenticular base set is excellent. One small side note on that, they knew something about their target market when selecting the character photos to use on the back of the card. Leia is in her slave girl outfit Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Cardz_house
posted Hide Post
My 2 boxes arrived. Definitely happy with them as I kinda got every insert within these 2 boxes.

Box 0648: Sketch (Brent Engstorm), Patch, Auto

Box 0633: Sketch (Eric Lehtonen), Relic Ewok Sketch (Scott Rorie). One of the most beautiful sketch I ever pulled!!)

Some of my traders: Star*Mystyk, davelennox, Jack London, Chris Byrne, TAT, spidergoblin, Brimaster, cverdec, mac13, mars53, Ryan Cracknell, wuher, angelchick182, FRANK AMICO, batmancity, Card Reaper, Over_Worked_Mom, Dewman, THX2112, venom5liter, batmancity, barobehere, KADRAN00157, browninga5m, trade-a-card, FCB, wolfie, ghostrider666, Brian A. Davis, s8zaphod, Cee_Jay

Posts: 1451 | Location: Singapore | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My three, and very likely, last boxes yielded a near set of patch cards (missing Jabba) and

Kezele is simply awesome. Thanks for the extra effort on all of these, Gary.
I'm happy for the Boba Fett autograph. That means I got 4 different in 9 boxes, beating the odds handily on those. I couldn't get any of the superb ESB widevision autos, but these are a very similar design and also very limited, so they're a nice consolation

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Received my box today and here are my pulls:

Jabba vintage wrapper patch
Spirit of Yoda sketch by GOAD
Kenneth Colley as Admiral Piett autograph

Even if I hadn’t beat the 1 in 4 odds with the auto, I still would have been very satisfied with my hits. I think this is a great set Topps put together. The box top with Solo is subtly embossed & the ROTJ and Star Wars logos are glossy over the matte black of the box. Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the first card of the base set features a printed edition number that corresponds to the hand written number on the box. I was surprised to see that, and I think that’s a nice touch.

The base cards themselves are wonderful with well chosen scenes and amazing depth.
Altogether a perfect bookend to the OT 3D Widevision series.

If Topps would release Widevision 3D sets like these twice a year, they’d have me hooked like a fish. Imagine a set of Clone Wars Widevision 3D cards!
Indiana Jones 3D Widevision cards!

posted Hide Post
Had an itch and broke one more.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
WOW. Worth it? Wink

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have a few more and it's getting itchy.

Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
I finally am getting around to posting my break of 2 boxes. I really liked this set. Wish I would have bought another box. I pulled 2 sketches and 2 patch cards. I was wanting the Luke patch card, so I was glad to get that. The sketches for this set are really great.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post