Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    The Man Who Fell To Earth (Unstoppable Cards, 2015)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Man Who Fell To Earth (Unstoppable Cards, 2015)
 Login/Join

posted
Okay case purchase so came with binder (binder cards to follow later) and two plates. So here goes
Case of boxes 901-912
#901 Candy Clark auto, foils 1-4, colour sketch of Bowie by Lee Lightfoot
#902 Bernie Casey auto, foils 6-9, cell of Bowie and Torn
#903 Candy Clark auto, foils 2-5, cell of Bowie and Torn
#904 Bernie Casey auto, foils 3-6, colour of Bowie BH Patrick Hamell
#905 Bernie Casey auto, foils 1, 7-9, colour Candy Clark by Joe Miller
#906 Bernie Casey auto, foils 1-3, 9, cell close up of Bowie
#907 Bernie Casey auto, foils 5-8, colour sketch by Paul Cowan EDIT And Bowie Auto without hat #36/50
#908 Bernie Casey auto, foils f4-7, colour sketch of Bowie by AUPW(?)
#909 Candy Clark auto, foils 1,2,8 and 9, cell of Bowie
#910 Candy Clark auto, foils 5-8, sketch of Bowie by Paul Cowan
#911 Rip Torn auto, foils 1-4, Bowie b/w pencil by Pangan
#912 Bernie Casey, foils 6-9, cell of Bowie and Clark.

So, once again drawn the short straw, have got in touch with Unstoppable so a case of wait and see.
Will refrain from commenting further just yet.

EDIT: having communicated with Barrie, the Bowie shortfall is being sorted. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Many thanks to the 'Idiot's Guide to Finding Sneaky Elusive Autograph Cards' aka Barrie at Unstoppable. I found the Bowie auto hiding in a pack. Had gone through the packs at least three times in frustration. There, stuck to a similarly blue backed checklist, easily overlooked was the Bowie.
So proof, if any needed that there is some effort mage in the collation of the boxes and cases. Which makes the frequent ratio shortfall a bit ridiculous.
My thanks to Barrie for the help and sorry for the panic. Sure you understand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spencer Quist,

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bit light on the sketches as well, from what I was told you should be getting 8-9 per case.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the ratios on their website, yes it should be 2:3 boxes so a minimum of 8. However I've still not had any responce from my Who case shortfall so guessing the ratios aren't guaranteed. The Bowie auto, however, most certainly is.
BOWIE AUTO SORTED. See revised breakdown. :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spencer Quist,

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The info I received from Barrie was 7-9 sketches per case, so it looks like Spencer just hit one of the low end cases.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's my case, delightful fun to open knowing the big autograph was on the way...

"Good Love" from Bernie about sums it up. The Rip Torn appears to be one per case. There were three film cards, beautifully designed. These have Bowie by himself on one and with Buck Henry on the other two, all from the same scene.

Autographs broke down as follows:
1 Bowie (wearing hat 47 of 50)
1 Rip Torn
6 Candy Clark
4 Bernie Casey (three different salutations, one double)

Sketches were 8 in number, and all very nice. Thanks to Unstoppable and the artists involved for doing these right! Nik is nifty, as always, and Pedicini's delicate stipple work has gotten even better than it was before, but really, I'm pleased with all of them.

The base sets broke down perfectly, two in each box. The remaining doubles were 47 out of 54 towards another set. I didn't open one box, so I suspect the doubles in that last one might even finish that near set, which would mean there are 25 base sets per case. These cards are very light on text, but the first time I saw the movie, I had the sound turned down as my girlfriend was sleeping, so it's kind of fitting, haha. I understood the movie pretty well then, and as long as you've seen it, the story comes across pretty well on the largely wordless cards. They are color photos on one side, and black & white on the other, a nice touch, and the images are crisp and well selected. The behind-the-scenes cards have some great candids on them.

Here's the back of the 9 card Bowie gold foil insert set, pretty sharp itself:

There were 4 of this chase set in the case and I'm just missing two more for a 5th set, so those, too, are probably in that lone unopened box, meaning the collation was essentially perfect.

The binder is gorgeous, oversized slightly, padded, with great design, and three rings (yay!). As for case incentives, I got two nice plates, one from the base set and one from the Bowie chase set. I didn't get the pair of promo cards numbered to 199 that were mentioned in the advertising, but I did get a spectacular two card puzzle by David Day, so I'm good with that, thanks Barrie (and David!).

There were also two bonus of preview sets, Gerry Anderson and My Favorite Martian, and there were two sets of each of those, so all in all, a tremendous value for the price.

Bowie alone would've made this set a must for me. It's very nice then that there is so much value in addition to that fantastic autograph, an instant addition to my list of all-time favorites, and one that I'm very grateful for.

Thanks, Barrie! Keep 'em coming!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a lot of gaudy goodness to unwrap, chesspieceface!
Makes me even more anxious to open my 6 boxes once they arrive. Fingers crossed for a Bowie autograph...

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A promising cardboard box arrived at my doorstep containing a binder and 8 boxes. A case was out of my financial reach, so I gambled on finding a Bowie auto.
Long story short: I GOT IT!

The binder was advertised to come with two promo cards. I did receive two of them, both dealer promos for Radickal Trading Cards. Aside from those I also found three gorgeous printing plates.

On to the boxes.

#0817: Candy Clark autograph, sketch card by Robert Aragon
#0818: Bernie Casey autograph, film cell card
#0819: David Bowie autograph, sketch card by unknown artist
#0820: Candy Clark autograph, sketch card by unknown artist
#0821: Bernie Casey autograph, sketch card by Ted Dastick Jr
#0822: Bernie Casey autograph, film cell card
#0827: Bernie Casey autograph, sketch card by Danielle Ellison
#0828: Candy Clark autograph, film cell card

Foil packs were in every box and I managed to assemble two complete sets of them.
The unknown sketch artist is the same on both cards, help in identifying the creative culprit is appreciated. Here is the artist's autograph on the back.

And some scans of the other cardboard wonders:

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
The unknown sketches look like Solly Mohammed cards and signature.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Metal on your Bowie, Monkeyafterdark!
Well done on that, and nice sketches and plates, too!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
The unknown sketches look like Solly Mohammed cards and signature.

Looked it up and it is indeed the work of Solly. Thanks!
Turns out there is a list of the participating sketch artists on the storepage. It even lists how many sketches each artist made.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have been told that despite what was advertised, the binders do not contain the 2 promo set that was promised

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Case topper
Andy Fry sketch signed by Candy Clark.
2 printing plates: Card 5 & 54
My Favourite Martian promo set
Gerry Anderson promo set

box pulls
Autos
Hatted Bowie auto (50/50)
Rip Torn
Candy Clark x5
Bernie Casey (My Best!) x1, (Help & Hope!) x1, (Happiness!) x1, (Best & Love!) x3

Sketches
Danille Ellison
Robert Aragon
Ted Woods
Tom Savage
Wu Wei
Don Pedicini Jr
Marcia Dye
Solly Mohammed

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice list of artists on the sketches, could you maybe show those along with the Fry sketchagraph?
Also, pretty cool to get #50 on the autograph, the last one (to be numbered, anyway).
Good stuff!

posted Hide Post
Hmm? This 'case incentive' business seems very random (and unfair) indeed.
I order a case and 2 plates and 1 sketch (plus only 7 sketches in boxes)
Chesspieceface orders case and gets 2 plates and a double sketch (8 in boxes)
Monkeyafterdark orders half a case and gets three plates and two extra boxes! By my reading. (5 sketches out of 8)
Raj orders case and gets two plates and a SIGNED sketch! (8 in boxes)
Am I just unlucky or is my inferiority complex just becoming reality?!?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Monkeyafterdark ordered 8, so two-thirds of a case, but your point is taken. Maybe you can message Barrie and he has an plate or sketch left over that he can provide you. He seems very friendly, and it doesn't hurt to ask...