Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Journey To the Center of the Earth/20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Monsterwax 2011)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Journey To the Center of the Earth/20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Monsterwax 2011)
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Surprised this one hasn't turned up here yet - a beautiful painted set by Ricardo Garijo.

My box contained 2 complete base sets of 55 cards, including hand-numbered checklist (sets 111 and 112)
I also had 20 extra cards
The first 27 cards are based on Journey to the Center of the Earth, and follow Jules Verne's original story. The second 27 cards are based on 20,000 Leagues. These evoke the filmsof the fifties and sixties, Disney's 20,000 Leagues with Kirk Douglas, and the Journey to the Center of Earth with Pat Boone, two great adventure films of their time.

Inserts:
6 Worlds of Jules Verne, showing some of his other books.
2 Jule's Visions cards, showing some of his visions which have been realized, and others which never came to be.
Tribute cards - BC1 Jules Verne and BC2 Ricardo Garijo (who died shortly after the painting were completed) 2 each

1 Printing Plate - Blue plate ,card 52

1 sketch - Nicely done b & w of a diver in helmet

The sketches, Worlds of Jules Verne and Vision cards were done by Ricardo Garijo, Jr. who has certainly inherited his father's skill. Hopefully he can do future sets for Monsterwax.

I also purchased a set of 6 promos for this set.

Overall, a beautifully done set, for under $50, you get 2 base sets and a master set of inserts. This is a labor of love by Kurt Keurstiener, packs are hand wrapped.Well worth supporting. Hope more people pick these up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Norton,

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice review, Don! I may have to pick up a box! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I too purchased a box and the promo set, Don.

I am still waiting to receive it but i am really excited to see it.

Box breakdown will be posted when cards arrive.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
I also agree with Batman, excellent review.

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
I still haven't received my box and promo set yet. It was dispatched just over two weeks ago so I am hopeful of early next week.

Fingers crossed, I really want to open this set.