Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Guardians of the Galaxy HOBBY (Upper Deck, 2014)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guardians of the Galaxy HOBBY (Upper Deck, 2014)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted
There didn't seem to be a thread for this for some reason.
I got a box (not realising that there are only 10 packs per box).

1 sketch - Thanos by JD Hill

G2 Star-Lord mask (oversize box topper)
S-4 Kyln prison
BOOM-7 Gamora's sword
GR-5 Rocket
ZG-1 Milano Flight Deck
ZG-8 Star-Lord's cabin

Costumes
CS-7 Yondu dual costume
CST-1 -Star-Lord/Gamora/Drax triple costume

10 parallel cards (bronze)
Short print cards: 93, 95, 103, 113, 129

Can anyone confirm if the Cosmic Strings Oversized memorabilia card is actually 1 per box (as per nslists.com)? I ask because I didn't get one.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Only 10 packs per box??

I'm guessing one box does not yield a complete base set.

I would think with the massive success of the film, a proper set would be released.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The oversized swatch was officially one in every 40 packs, so 1 in 4 boxes. Sketch cards were also 1 in 40 packs or worse, so you did well to pull one from a single box.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kevin.
Would have much preferred an autograph, though.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 007bondcards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
The oversized swatch was officially one in every 40 packs, so 1 in 4 boxes. Sketch cards were also 1 in 40 packs or worse, so you did well to pull one from a single box.

Vertical sketches were 1 in 40
Horizontal sketches were 1 in 80
Character sketches were 1 in 40
so in 80 packs you would get 5 sketches making it 1 sketch per 16 packs,most cases had 8 sketches other 4 hits were 2 comic autos and 2 actor autos,and some boxes had 4 hits
Hope this helps

Posts: 87 | Location: ontario | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
Only 10 packs per box??

I'm guessing one box does not yield a complete base set.

I would think with the massive success of the film, a proper set would be released.

Honestly, this IS a proper set.

Yes, it's 10 packs but with 8 cards each. Some packs have 2 inserts.

Does not being able to make a base set out of a box make it improper? I thought everyone was tired of $5 base sets?

This is my favorite set of the year. First rate autograph list. Decent sketches. LOTS of fun wardrobe cards. And I love the oversized box toppers.

Not a huge UD fan, but they seem to do pretty good with the Marvel Movie Universe.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I'm sure as a seller, this set is quite profitable! As a collector... far too expensive to delve into.

If I invest in a box, at the very least I expect a full base set. That's just how I roll.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
You can delve into and utterly conquer it for less than the cost of a box. I just saw this finish on Ebay for $91:

"MASTER SET CONSISTING OF 267 CARDS AS FOLLOWS; 90 CARD BASE SET
90 CARD BRONZE PARALLEL SET
45 CARD SHORT-PRINT SET CARDS #91-135
13 CARD BOOM INSERT SET
8 CARD THE SIGHTS INSERT SET
9 CARD ZERO GRAVITY INSERT SET
12 CARD GALACTIC RESIDENTS INSERT SET"

It's a pretty great time to be a collector, especially if you aren't driven by the costume/sketches/autographs, which is two out of three for me. I like the autographs, but keep very few of my sketches, and barely collect costume/prop cards. With that in mind, it is nice to be able to get all of the cards I'd be interested in except the autographs for around the cost of one 10 pack box.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing, I've taken short break from ebay and missed this one...

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked a couple boxes at the Chicago Show last weekend
and must say that I really like this set. Here's what I got:

Oversized box-toppers - G6 & G20
Sights - S-1 (x2)
Zero Gravity - ZG-1 (x2)
Galactic Residents - GR-6, GR-10, GR-12
BOOM - 3, 7, 10
Cosmic Strings - CS-1 Star-Lord
Cosmic Strings Dual - CSD-3 Drax/Rocket, CSD-11 Star-Lord/Nova Prime
Cosmic Strings Oversized - CSO-2 Drax
Groot Sketch by John Derrick West
Drax Sketch by Jomar Bulda

I'll figure out my needs and head to the trading section.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg Geerts,

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Opened a very solid case last week for a group break

Highlights:
Axebone sketch of Gamora
Sunico sketch of Thor
Saldana autograph
Pratt memorabilia/autograph
cosmic strings max (1:2400 packs)

I also pulled a Cosmic Strings quad #12 which seems to be an SSP. Couldn't find another on ebay for sale or sold.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Finally got a box...
Boom 5
GR 1,9
ZG1,4,9
10 bronze foils
Dual mem CSD-6 Nova Prime & RDey
And two autos...
MR Michael Rooker
GC Glenn Close SP

Thumb Up

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Great autos, congrats!
I see that I never posted my break for the one I got a few months ago. It had a nice Rhiannon Owens sketch card and a couple of memorabilia cards. I was happy with it.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... seeing those breaks makes me feel as though I should have bought a box after all. I didn't because a base set didn't seem to be guaranteed on a single box.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
From the info on the box it appears you will receive a mix of 3 hits. You should get a near base set including 4-5 shortprints.
Two autos in one box is likely not the norm.
Despite only having 10 packs still the product was fun to open.

Thumb Up

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I opened a box and was very disappointed with it. I did not get anything like the cards depicted here, which are all fantastic. I also bought a 2nd box which will remain intact for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post