Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Finest 2022 (Topps, 2022)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Finest 2022 (Topps, 2022)
 Login/Join

Picture of Curler
posted
I bought two boxes of this.

Box 1

1st mini-box
22 base cards
2 refractor parallels
1 blue parallel
1 green parallel
1 The Mandalorian
1 The Bad Batch
1 High Republic concept art
1 autograph Richard Brake as Valin Hess blue parallel 135/150

2nd mini-box
23 base cards
2 refractor parallels
1 blue parallel
1 The Mandalorian
1 The Bad Batch
1 autograph Angelique Perrin as Adi Gallia gold parallel 17/50

2nd box
1st mini-box
23 base cards
2 refractor parallels
1 green parallel
1 The Mandalorian
1 The Bad Batch
1 autograph Valene Kane as Lyra Erso

2nd mini-box
22 base cards
2 refractor parallels
1 blue parallel
1 The Mandalorian
1 The Bad Batch
1 Book of Boba Fett
1 autograph Kathleen Gati as Old Daka purple parallel 099/299

After sorting it all, I do have one of the short printed base cards, #106.

The chrome cards always look nice. I do wish that Topps would just focus on the newer Star Wars shows instead of rehashing previously covered material.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's the reason why I haven't bought a Star Wars box in more than a dozen years. The only signer of minor interest to me would be Brake and he's not worth it. Of all the big franchises, I wonder how collectors continue to stick with Star Wars, when an average box in virtually any product from the last decade is going to be extremely poor value on the hits.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That's the reason why I haven't bought a Star Wars box in more than a dozen years. The only signer of minor interest to me would be Brake and he's not worth it. Of all the big franchises, I wonder how collectors continue to stick with Star Wars, when an average box in virtually any product from the last decade is going to be extremely poor value on the hits.

"They" are not like us Raven, they collect the whole set. Not just autographs. Razz

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
"They" are not like us Raven, they collect the whole set. Not just autographs. Razz

Set? There's a set you say! Big Grin

Unfortunately, unless its RA giving you a base set and 37 doubles in every box, most other premium products now require multiple boxes to hand compile the most common version of the set. Some products are impossible to complete by hand even in a small way.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Opened 4 cases of this and the collation was horrible. Could make 1 base set from each case and a few cards short of a second set from each. Now you would think with all the extra base cards I would be able to make more base sets but that was not the case. Was missing the same cards in every case! I have 12 partial sets missing the exact same 50 cards. What are the odds of that? Reached out to Topps asking if there were any production/collation issues and was told they didn't know and they do not replace missing base cards.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well the whole set is 120 cards, but only 100 are actually base. 20 cards are short printed and called extended base. So right there it will be hard to compile a full set.

Then you have several levels of parallels eating up even more space. So all the average buyer winds up with is a small portion of the set and even the bulk buyer is lucky to complete it. This is supposed to give value to the base set.

Problem is, no one wants to pay that high a price for a base set requiring multiple boxes to complete, so it doesn't spur collector demand. It goes the opposite way because it's just the other extreme to the $10 base set. Who wants a partial $200 and up base set? Why even start it?

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well the whole set is 120 cards, but only 100 are actually base. 20 cards are short printed and called extended base. So right there it will be hard to compile a full set.

Then you have several levels of parallels eating up even more space. So all the average buyer winds up with is a small portion of the set and even the bulk buyer is lucky to complete it. This is supposed to give value to the base set.

Problem is, no one wants to pay that high a price for a base set requiring multiple boxes to complete, so it doesn't spur collector demand. It goes the opposite way because it's just the other extreme to the $10 base set. Who wants a partial $200 and up base set? Why even start it?

I was not including the extended base, just the regular 100 card base set. After 4 cases, taking out the 4 base sets I could make, there are around 1000 extra base cards that I can not make a single set out of.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
I was not including the extended base, just the regular 100 card base set. After 4 cases, taking out the 4 base sets I could make, there are around 1000 extra base cards that I can not make a single set out of.

Maybe TOPPS wants all their bulk buyers to go back to trading. Big Grin

Seriously, isn't there a representative that will take a claim or answer a question? Isn't Fanatics running the TOPPS card division now and aren't they trying to make people think these cards are an investment?

The problem is that buying multiple cases are random and the boxes inside the cases are random, and who knows what pattern was boxed out even if you ordered all at once? If you buy from different places at different times, you really don't know if you will get what you're missing, or you will be just duplicating what you already have.

Card makers should be labeling boxes and/or cases with A, B, C, etc. when only portions of sets are going to be found. At least tell them that if you need 3 boxes to complete 100 cards, you are buying the right 3 boxes.

That won't happen. Card makers are assembling product designed to be sold in bulk to people who they know are also going to be selling for profit. They want the early sell-out and then let card collectors look for retail or buy on the secondary market. Card makers carrying the big titles are long past caring about collectors who need a couple of boxes only.

They should care when the bulk buyers start to get stuck though because then the sell-outs might stop. Wink