Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (Artbox)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/5981000111

August 03, 2005, 10:32 AM
KADRAN00157
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (Artbox)
I am glad I am not doing this set....
Dealer incetive cards....
-- Oompa Loompa's white outfit (UK 2 cases) [210]
-- Charlie Bucket's sweater (10 cases) [170]
-- Short Grass from factory (25 cases) [39]
-- Long Grass from factory (NY exclusive) [95]

Trying to be a completest would be very hard Frown
I also got some of this info from Jeff Allender's website

KADRAN00157
August 04, 2005, 12:33 PM
LUZNDAVE
I bought one Hobby box and received only the Tablecloth card.

Pretty disapointing to spent $59 and get a $10 card.
August 06, 2005, 05:15 PM
morenomark
Had these breakdowns sitting around for a while.

First a single box:

BT3 Peppermint
Prop Card: Tablecloth 515/543
R2, 3, 4, 7, & 8

Next, an entire case:

BT4 Chocolate
Prop Card: Chocolate Bar 249/490
R1, 3, 5, 7, & 9

BT3 Peppermint
Costume Card: Charlie's Sweater 184/330
R2, 3, 4, 7, & 8

BT2 Marshmallow
Autograph: James Fox as Mr. Salt
Prop Card: Tablecloth 254/543
R4, 5, 6, 8, & 9

BT2 Marshmallow
Costume Card: Grampa Joe's Jacket 97/530
R1, 2, 3, 4, and 7

BT1 Bubblegum
Dual Prop Card: Burlap Nut Bag / Worker Apron 143/324
R1, 5, 6, 7, & 9

BT2 Marshmallow
Autograph Card: Jordan Fry as Mike Teevee
Prop Card: Triple Dazzle Caramel 178/290
R1, 5, 6, 7, & 9

BT1 Bubblegum
Autograph Card: Annasophia Robb as Violet Beauregard
Costume Card: Red Oompa Lumpa 45/240
R1, 3, 4, 5, & 7

BT3 Peppermint
Prop Card: Poster 256/1490
R2,4,6, 8, & 9

Autograph Card: Julia Winter as Veruca Salt
Costume Card: Red Oompa Lumpa 46/240 Mad
R1, 2, 3, 4, & 7

BT4 Chocolate
Prop Card: Pondicherry's 374/390
R1, 5, 6, 8, 9

Totals:
4 Autographs
4 Costumes (two of which duplicated each other)
6 Props

What's that drug they give you when they want to cure you from addiction to another drug?
Methadone. Charlie and the Methadone Factory...
August 06, 2005, 05:18 PM
spidergoblin
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:

ouch...sorry to hear this.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper
August 06, 2005, 07:46 PM
anthonyd
Can anybody tell me how many base sets are in a box?

Also, the comment about the card stock being thin - any additional input there?
August 06, 2005, 07:57 PM
morenomark
Usually about two base sets per box.

The card stock seems normal for an Artbox product. The set title is stamped on the cards, which actually makes them thicker than normal cards. Certainly not what I would call thin.
August 10, 2005, 06:45 AM
KADRAN00157
Superb Joke Morenomark
Loves it!!!!! Thumb Up

KADRAN00157
August 15, 2005, 02:56 PM
RoscoLabri
Hello! (first post :O)

I've also started delving into the Charlie Chocolate Factory trading cards, as I like collecting things like this (have various sets of the older decipher star wars ccg cards).

Anyways, I bought 1 Trading Card Box Retail from the US (I live in UK, talk about your own country trying to swipe every penny from you :@) and was just wondering what the possibilities are that I could find (what I mean is, what can you possibly get in 1 box, 1 auto ? 1 prop ? etc etc).

I would love to buy a case of 10 or something, but I don't think I could justify spending the cash, especially as it will cost an arm and a leg to ship to me Smile

Thanks
August 16, 2005, 09:52 AM
RoscoLabri
No one out there ? Red Face

Anyways, I decided to go and buy a case of 10 boxes in the end, cost me $350 (that includes shipping to the UK), so its about £196 :O

I know its a hell of a lot of money, but with any luck I'll get lucky with some cards.

On a side note if anyone is out there and reading this, how much did you pay for a case of 10 boxes ?
August 16, 2005, 10:50 AM
KADRAN00157
Welcome to the board RoscoLabri
I did not buy a case as the idea of 25 cases gets you a prop card..... put me off!!!!!
Hope you do well out of your boxes Smile

KADRAN00157
August 16, 2005, 10:59 AM
RoscoLabri
well I suppose I'm hoping for a Johnny Depp auto, then that would make the purchase more then worthy...if not...well...I'll settle for 1 of the 18 Golden Tickets (hey, its my dream Big Grin).
August 17, 2005, 12:58 AM
samauto
Hey Rosco,

Did you buy a Retail case or a Hobby case? I don't think the Retail cases contain autographed cards, so if you got a retail case pulling a JD from them is going to be a no go. Hobby cases normally sell for US$550 or so plus shipping.

Cheers, Pete.

August 17, 2005, 01:14 AM
Cardz_house
quote:
Originally posted by RoscoLabri:
No one out there ? Red Face

Anyways, I decided to go and buy a case of 10 boxes in the end, cost me $350 (that includes shipping to the UK), so its about £196 :O

I know its a hell of a lot of money, but with any luck I'll get lucky with some cards.

On a side note if anyone is out there and reading this, how much did you pay for a case of 10 boxes ?

for that price, you could be getting the retail boxes. 10 hobby boxes with the autos normally goes for around $550 or around that price. did the dealer confirm with you that its hobby boxes? also, if u getting 10 boxes, it might be better to go for a sealed case as u will get the casetopper too.

Some of my traders: Star*Mystyk, davelennox, Jack London, Chris Byrne, TAT, spidergoblin, Brimaster, cverdec, mac13, mars53, Ryan Cracknell, wuher, angelchick182, FRANK AMICO, batmancity, Card Reaper, Over_Worked_Mom, Dewman, THX2112, venom5liter, batmancity, barobehere, KADRAN00157, browninga5m, trade-a-card, FCB, wolfie, ghostrider666, Brian A. Davis, s8zaphod, Cee_Jay

August 17, 2005, 02:39 AM
doggonit
am I right in thinking retail packs have props & costumes?
and no autographs?
are they the same design as those in the hobby packs?

thanks Smile
August 17, 2005, 03:08 AM
Cardz_house
retail packs only have 4 different prop cards and inserted 1 per box. they are:

Chilly Chocolate Creme Candy wrapper [2330]
Nutty Crunch Surprise Candy wrapper [2330]
Triple Dazzle Caramel Candy wrapper [2330]
Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight Candy wrapper [1530]

Retail wrappers also different from hobby ones as they will only mention that the packs contain prop cards while hobby packs will mention autos too.
August 17, 2005, 03:40 AM
RoscoLabri
eek! big mistake on my part then, i bought a case of 10 retail boxes Red Face

and yes, from the description it says "CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY SEALED TRADING CARD CASE OF 10 BOXES OF RETAIL."

I should really read up more about what boxes contain what Roll Eyes

So what is the incentive card I receive for buying a sealed case of 10 box (if there is an incentive for that matter) ?

Thanks for letting me know though Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RoscoLabri,
August 19, 2005, 01:30 AM
Jabberwocky
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:

Uh, consider yourself lucky that you got even that.

I spent a similar amount on a hobby box recently and got NOTHING! No costume card, no prop card, no autograph card, NOTHING. I didn't even get a complete 90-card base set, which is pretty bad considering that there are supposed to be roughly about 2 base sets per box. And the collation was TERRIBLE. Several packs I opened contained the exact same cards that were collated in the exact same order. Yeah, randomly inserted my eye! So basically now all I have is a 5-inch high stack of worthless duplicates (plus a few foils and a scratch-n-sniff).

And the base cards that I got were awful. On anywhere from 10%-15% of them, the foil-stamped movie logo that appears in the left-hand corner was either chipped, smeared, or misprinted. Truly this has to be one of the worst print jobs I've ever seen on a set of cards. Granted, I've only been collecting hobby cards for about three years now, but this is the first (and last) time that I will ever buy another Artbox product. And the box that I purchased was from a reputable dealer who I've used frequently in the past. He said that he's never had a problem with Artbox before.

Has anyone else experienced problems with card spoilage (chipping, smearing, etc) or is it just me? I only ask because everyone here seems to be highly complimentary of a product that I certainly wouldn't buy again. To me, this product is just NOT WORTH THE MONEY. I only wish I someone would have told me before I made the investment...

Oh well. Live and learn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jabberwocky,
August 19, 2005, 03:13 AM
spidergoblin
Sorry to read that your first post here is to mention the badly collated box.I hope you have better luck in the future.

Welcome aboard,have fun and enjoy your stay Thumb Up

You can always check the box-breakdown forum here to read what others pull from a certain set before you buy a box.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper
August 19, 2005, 03:31 AM
Jabberwocky
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, it is unfortunate (and I do hate to vent) because most people I've talked to have been quite pleased with the set as a whole. The dealer himself (who is a friend of mine) has said that I'm the first one to have problems.

I guess the bright side is that somewhere out there someone will get a box with a few extra autographs or prop cards.

Of course, I'm sure that my disappointment also stems from the fact that I'm so used to dealing with Rittenhouse, which will actually guarantee a certain number of cards per box (ie, two autograph cards per box or one costume card per box). Obviously, Artbox bases its statements on the odds of finding a specific card across the entire production run versus what you will actually pull from any particular box.

So, lesson learned, but I'll probably stay away from Artbox in the future. The fact that so many of the base cards were spoiled really lowers my confidence in their ability to produce a quality product.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jabberwocky,
August 19, 2005, 07:25 AM
cverdec
I'm a pretty big fan of Artbox. I've had issues with their packaging before, but never seen any printing problems (smeers). I would definately drop their customer service a line. They've always taken great care of me Big Grin

If you look at my box break down earlier in this post, you'll see that I received a box with no box topper and a "light pack". They mailed me a new pack (unfortunately no auto or prop card), and a complete set of all 4 box toppers for my inconvenience! Thumb Up

Chris