Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1 (Topps 2009)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1 (Topps 2009)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post

Looks like Stew Lee (Animator), Nina Edlund, Brian Rood, Bill Pulkovski, Jeremy Treece, Caroline Edwards (portrait, one of the very few) Don Pedicini Jr (out of just 25), and the sketch of Padme by Colleen Doran which I am adorin' (sorry!).

The sketches are more than I hoped for really (although I wouldn't have minded a Pence or Walks, I must admit), and the Doran, at least, is going into my permanent collection.

I have collected Star Wars cards since the start of them, so I would've bought these, whatever the chase cards. I am certainly not a sketch collector in particular. With that in mind, it's good to know there are 3 insert sets besides the parallels, autographs, and sketches, and this particular product is priced fairly low considering that it offers the best of both worlds (autos/sketches and more traditional insert cards).

Price wise, it compares very favorably with the original 1990's Star Wars Widevision sets, which had only one insert set (McQuarrie Chromes), and even those, you would find only 2 per box. Pack price on those way back in 1994 was $1.50 each. And now with this new set, some 15 years later, my local retailer had them for $2.25 per pack, a very reasonable increase.

Topps has held the line on Star Wars card prices for this release and I thank them for it.

While some of their products have had collation issues, this was one of the most odds-on cases I've ever purchased. I found 8 sketches in 8 boxes, 12 of the Sequentially numbered cards, and the exact expected amount of the cards from the 3 regular insert cards, and those collated perfectly to make as many sets as are possible from a single case. (3 of the 20 card character foil sets, and 4 each of the 10 card cel sets and 5 card motion sets).

While most of the cases had 3 autographs cards, mine had only 2 (Anakin & Asajj), but even there I have no complaint as again, by the odds, about every 10th case or so should only hold 2 autographs, and I must've got one of those.

In a nice coda, I also bought a single box from my local dealer and that had this sketch of Count Dooku by Laura Martin:

There was also an autograph of Padme Amidala and 2 Serially Numbered Silver cards.
That box was $48 at retail while the boxes from my case were about $36 each, but I do like to support the ol' brick and mortar shops when I can, even at the necessary 25% markup over the internet.

I'm glad it was such a nice box, and I hope those able to purchase only one box will have the same luck and that the problem of dud boxes has, for the most part, been solved. With that said, I know there will always be dud boxes, and I commiserate with those who have suffered them (see post immediately before this one), having endured a few myself.

Finally, for those buying only single packs, each of the boxes I opened had at least 20 inserts in them, so there was only about 4 dud "packs" out of 24 in each box. It important for the future of the hobby that casual buyers feel like they are getting good value for their money since that's the kind of thing that may help nudge them into becoming full-time collectors, and this is a step in the right direction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
Here is my case break. Eight sketches:

Brad Lamb(??) (Ahsoka):

Matt Minor (Captain Rex & R2):

Bruce Gerlach (battle droid):

Grant Gould (Cad Bane):

Howard Shum (Twilik?)

John Soukup (Yoda, and lots of sparklies - looks really nice):

Robert Teranishi (Asajj): ....... ...... .... ..... ..... .... Adrien Rivera (Palpatine):

The case also yielded: three autos and 12 silver foils.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RedFive,

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of king-beez
posted Hide Post
Can anybody point me in the direction of where I can find how many sketches each artist did and possibly where I can identify vague signatures please. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 25 | Location: Bristol, UK | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
6 boxes opened so far:

and this animator sketch, which is pretty cool but looks like it has been severely manhandled Shake Head

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Finished opening my case.

Chase card breakdown for entire case:

Silver foil parallels - 12 (22,26,29,30,32,40,41,47,49,57,62,67)

Character cards - 3 complete sets, 4 extras

Clear Cels - 4 complete sets, 8 extras

Motion - 4 complete sets, 4 extras

Sneak Preview - 10 complete sets, 11 extras

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Nice sketches everyone! I'm hoping to have mine scanned in and posted soon!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Here's my Case. I'm a little disappointed in some of the common inserts. I was missing an Auto (I have Palpatine & Anakin), and between 10 boxes i was only able to complete 2 full insert sets.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Here we go! 1 auto and 9 sketches so far from 5 Hobby boxes and 5 Gravity Feed boxes from Target (1 Gravity box didn't have a sketch in it).

And yes, I'm disappointed in the Giallongo sketch. Gave me the fear of LOTR & Indiana Jones all over again. Makes me want to take an eraser to it and doodle myself just to make it look better lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Plunkett!

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Pleasantly surprised by my two boxes. Got the following sketches and auto. Smile

Yoda by Nicole Falk and Mace Windu by Steve Oatney.

Managed to get three base sets out of the two boxes, which I was a little worried about after hearing some peoples' collation experiences.

The insert sets are *very* nice indeed. I think my favourites are the clear plastic ones.

Got two parallels (#76 - 407/500 and #42 - 391/500) which are up for trade as I'm never going to be able to complete a set. Need some chase set cards. Will post in Trading forum for those.

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I grabbed a great deal on a case, and boy am I glad I did! I had an absolutely AMAZING time opening these boxes!

I need a little help identifying some characters though, I'm not completely familiar with the Clone Wars universe.

Box 1
Two packs in I pulled an animator sketch and was already excited, but I thought that would make opening the rest of the boxes a bit lackluster (didn't think I'd do any better than that). Well, in the very next pack was a KILLER Katie Cook Padme sketch!!!!! Big Grin

KATIE COOK - PADME
TIM BROCK (ANIMATOR) - ?

Box 2
I managed to stop shaking by this point, but that didn't last long... Smile

GIANCARLO VOLPE (ANIMATOR) - OBI WAN
JUAN CARLOS RAMOS - ANAKIN
TOM KANE - YODA AUTO

Box 3
Man, will the awesomeness end? Nope!!

JEREMY TREECE - ? her name escapes me at the moment
JAMES ARNOLD TAYLOR - OBI WAN AUTO

Box 4
Two Animators already, no way I'm pulling any more. Wha?

BOSCO NG (ANIMATOR) - CLONE TROOPER
NIKA FUTTERMAN - ASAJJ VENTRESS AUTO

Box 5
Geez, are there any Animators left? Oh yeah, there are!

LE TANG (ANIMATOR) - ?

Box 6
Man, I need to catch my breath!

DAVID GREEN - GRIEVOUS GUARDS

Box 7
OK, boxes seem to be slowing down a bit. No wait, another autograph!!

DENNIS BUDD - SUPER BATTLE DROIDS
NIKA FUTTERMAN - ASAJJ VENTRESS AUTO (#2)

Box 8
Will it go out with a bang? Yup, I love this sketch!

MATTE CHERO - BATTLE DROID

So my tally from a 8-box case:

10 sketches (including 4 Animators and an absolutely stunning Katie Cook who only did 25)
4 autographs
12 silver #/500 parallels (anyone collecting these?)
1 happy collector Big Grin

Anyone have any autos I didn't pull to trade for the extra Ventress?

Thanks for coming along with me on my ride. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Wow Ted,

What a great break. Thumb Up

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Great case, Ted! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No offers (even veiled ones) to buy or sell, please.

Contact any of the moderators if there are questions.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Wow Ted grats on a great case!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon@webjon.com:
No offers (even veiled ones) to buy or sell, please.

Contact any of the moderators if there are questions.

Jon

Whoops, sorry. I just copied and pasted the post from what I put elsewhere. Didn't even think to remove that part. Frown

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Millhouse here i bought 10 box's here's what sketch cards i got

And then i pulled this little beauty

a very happy millhouse

Posts: 757 | Location: london england | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Nice Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Grats Millhouse! The Luminara sketch is sweet! I really like the Ventress sketch next to the Emperor too!

I opened some more retail packs from a Target today and pulled this cool color sketch...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
5 Hobby boxes and 1 retail Blaster box for me. Hobby Boxes are 24 packs of 7 cards, 8 boxes per case (approximately 1366 cases). Expect 1.41 base card sets of 80 per box if collation were perfect. Retail gravity-feed boxes are 48 packs of 7 cards; regular retail boxes are 24 packs of 7 cards, and retail blaster boxes are 6 packs of 7 cards. Approximately 300,000 Retail packs.

HOBBY BOX 1

Base cards: 1 complete set of 80, 57 extras
Season 2 Preview (8; 1:2 packs): 1 complete set of 8, 4 extras
Foil Character Cards (20, 1:3 packs): 1 6 7 10 11 14 16 20 of 20
Animation Clear Cel Cards (10, 1:4 packs): 2 4 5 6 8 10 of 10
Flix Pix Motion Cards (5, 1: 8 packs): 2 4 5 of 5
Artist Sketch Card (103 Hobby artists, 1:27 packs): Jason Hughes (250 drawn)
Animator Sketch Card (23 artists, 1:223 packs): none
Voice Actor Autograph Cards (7 Hobby signers, 1:67 packs): none
Collector Kit Info Card (1, 1: pack): 24
Box-Topper Poster: yes
Silver-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1:17 packs, # to 500): 34, 020/500
Gold-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1: 8222 packs, # 1/1): none

HOBBY BOX 2

Base cards: 1 complete set of 80, 56 extras
Foil Character Cards (20, 1:3 packs): 3 4 5 8 12 13 17 18 of 20
Animation Clear Cel Cards (10, 1:4 packs): 4 5 6 8 9 10 of 10
Flix Pix Motion Cards (5, 1: 8 packs): 1 3 4 of 5
Artist Sketch Card (103 Hobby artists, 1:27 packs): Rich Woodall (250 drawn)
Voice Actor Autograph Cards (7 Hobby signers, 1:67 packs): Matt Lanter as Anakin Skywalker
Silver-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1:17 packs, # to 500): 34, 020/500

HOBBY BOX 3

Foil Character Cards (20, 1:3 packs): 2 7 9 11 12 15 18 19 of 20
Animation Clear Cel Cards (10, 1:4 packs): 1 2 3 7 9 10 of 10
Flix Pix Motion Cards (5, 1: 8 packs): 1 3 5 of 5
Artist Sketch Card (103 Hobby artists, 1:27 packs): Frank Villarreal (100 drawn)
Voice Actor Autograph Cards (7 Hobby signers, 1:67 packs): Matthew Wood as General Grievous
Silver-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1:17 packs, # to 500): 17, 141/500; 19, 083/500

HOBBY BOX 4

Foil Character Cards (20, 1:3 packs): 1 2 6 7 9 11 15 19 of 20
Animation Clear Cel Cards (10, 1:4 packs): 1 5 6 7 8 9 of 10
Flix Pix Motion Cards (5, 1: 8 packs): 2 4 5 of 5
Artist Sketch Card (103 Hobby artists, 1:27 packs): none
Animator Sketch Card (23 artists, 1:223 packs): Sergio Paez (50 drawn)
Voice Actor Autograph Cards (7 Hobby signers, 1:67 packs): none
Silver-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1:17 packs, # to 500): 37, 204/500; 72, 295/500

HOBBY BOX 5

Foil Character Cards (20, 1:3 packs): 4 5 8 10 13 16 17 20 of 20
Animation Clear Cel Cards (10, 1:4 packs): 1 2 3 7 9 10 of 10
Flix Pix Motion Cards (5, 1: 8 packs): 1 2 4 of 5
Artist Sketch Card (103 Hobby artists, 1:27 packs): Grant Gould (150 drawn)
Voice Actor Autograph Cards (7 Hobby signers, 1:67 packs): James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan Kenobi
Silver-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1:17 packs, # to 500): 78, 126/500

RETAIL BLASTER BOX 1

Base cards: 35 different
Season 2 Preview (8; 1:2 packs): PV-2 PV-5 PV-8
Foil Character Cards (20, 1:3 packs): 3 4 of 20
Animation Clear Cel Cards (10, 1:4 packs): 2 of 10
Flix Pix Motion Cards (5, 1: 8 packs): 4 of 5
Silver-Foil-Stamped Parallel (80, 1:17 packs, # to 500): none
Collector Kit Info Card (1, 1: pack): 5

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post