Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Wacky Packages Old School Stickers TOPPS 2010

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/562105524

April 22, 2010, 06:16 PM
chesspieceface
Wacky Packages Old School Stickers TOPPS 2010
I just picked up 2 of the Topps Online exclusive Wacky Packages Old School Series 1 stickers. I bought two 24 packs boxes at the retail price of $47.95. Shipping added about $10 to that, so they ended up costing about $54 per box direct from Topps.

While a high price compared to traditional prices for Wacky Packs over the years, I still found that be an excellent value. To begin with only 3,850 boxes are being produced, a miniscule number compared to every single past Wacky set, I would think. In the end, there will be only about 7,500 sets of these stickers ever made, and (gasp!), some of those might actually even end up on lockers, headboards, school folders, etc., decreasing that number further.

The cards are configured to be just like the classic Wacky sets of the 1970's: 33 unnumbered blank back, scored stickers and a nine card puzzle set.

One box of the packs opened up to make 2 sets of 33 stickers, featuring all new parody art. I also completed one nine card puzzle set (on vintage style card stock) and had 7 out of 9 toward a 2nd set. I had 6 stickers extra and 8 puzzle pieces left over, so while I didn't finish the 2nd puzzle card set (as I maybe should have given the 8 puzzle triples), I still consider this to be excellent collation.

But that's only the start of the value. Along with the 24 packs in the large display box was a red envelope with the Wacky Packages emblem on it. Inside that were 3 Giant 5x7 stickers (from a 9 card Giant set, all utilizing supersize images from the regular base set).
There was also 1 Wacky Logo sticker (from a set of 3 different colors), a Wacky Packages Old School display poster, a promo sticker for the upcoming Old School series II and best of all, an original art hand drawn sketch card by Wacky legend (and longtime friend of NSU) Jay Lynch!
(With my order, Topps also included a promo for this set and also a promo for Wacky Postcards series 5. The two promos were a nice surprise, although I can't be sure they include those with every order).

Jay drew lots of different images (mostly classic wacky characters, but a few from the new set as well) in varying quantities but each is a fully finished drawing by the master in ink. There are some variants and full color cards out there and those are on a lot of collector's want lists.

See my post below for the sketches from my my two boxes this time: PUPSI and DR POPPER

I also bought a big lot of 16 cards from a super collector of these sketches. There was some duplication on what I had from my 4 boxes, plus the 2 additional single sketches I bought on Ebay, but not much. I'm selling off those doubles to hopefully get another box or two of these before they're sold out.

All in all, a great set. I certainly hope Topps does put out another set of these as the promo card seems to indicate they are going to, and of course, if they can pack as much value into the next set as this one. I wonder if art spiegelman would be willing to do some cards, what a coup that would be!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

April 22, 2010, 08:52 PM
mintoncard
Sounds fantastic! Thanks for posting the sketches!
May 01, 2010, 10:06 PM
otim
These were also available at the Philly Show today for the same price as online it seems ($47.95). I also picked up the binder (Inkworks style) wich I think looks great, to go along with the set.

My Box Breakdown was slightly [just slightly] less satisfyng collation wise than the one above.

Stickers:
x2 Booze On Tap Shampoo
x3 Spackel Candy
x3 Bustedball Bubble Gum
x2 Little Trash Air Foulers
x3 Spine-Sol
x2 Jim Mean Whiskey
x2 Bubble Yuk Gum (1 Bent)
x3 Gee Your Hair Smells Horrific
x2 Brylscream
x2 Qreep Cereal
x2 Crappy Magazine Covers
x2 15th Avenue Candy (1 Bent)
x2 Showin Spoonfuls
x2 BC Cola
x2 Cheddarfield Cigarettes
x2 Barbasoil
x2 Hi-Sea Punch
x2 Project 19 Cereal
x2 Hickory Fools Slap Stick
x2 Batz Beer
x2 Fruit Stripped Gum
x2 24-7 Slopee
x3 Bark Cigarettes
x2 Franken Brainy
x2 Strokes Beer
x2 Bore-a-teen
x2 Putz Vitamins
x2 Blam-O Frisbie
x2 Kookie
x2 Spazzles
x3 Funny Taste
x2 Bacteria
x2 Odor Pops

Puzzle Cards

x0 Top Left
x3 Top Middle
x2 Top Right
x3 Middle Left
x3 Middle Middle
x1 Middle Right
x5 Bottom Left
x4 Bottom Middle
x3 Bottom Right

So two sets of stickers, and almost a full set of puzzle cards.

otim

May 05, 2010, 01:35 AM
otim
The bottom middle is yours if you want it. I actually picked up 2 Top Left, and 1 Middle Right at the Philly show on Sunday so I would have 2 full puzzle sets.

Do you happen to have a Bubble Yuk Gum or a 15th Avenue Candy? I'm hoping to replace the ones I got that were bent.

As for the sketch I'm not much of a sketch collector so I didn't think to post about it. I don't have scanning handy, but it's a guy with a big mustache in a winter coat and hat with an old fashioned clothespin on his nose...

otim

May 14, 2010, 02:02 AM
chesspieceface
Here's my current collection of these. I actually had 2 more, DR POPPER and CAP'N CRUD, but they are good sellers you know where, so I'm sacrificing those two to be able to keep all of these. Here they are:

May 14, 2010, 02:03 AM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by otim:
The bottom middle is yours if you want it. I actually picked up 2 Top Left, and 1 Middle Right at the Philly show on Sunday so I would have 2 full puzzle sets.

Do you happen to have a Bubble Yuk Gum or a 15th Avenue Candy? I'm hoping to replace the ones I got that were bent.

As for the sketch I'm not much of a sketch collector so I didn't think to post about it. I don't have scanning handy, but it's a guy with a big mustache in a winter coat and hat with an old fashioned clothespin on his nose...

otim

Otim, let me know where to send replacements for those bent 2 stickers if you still need them...

October 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
Jack London
Hi, just picked up one of these cool sketches on ebay.

Was wondering if these are also autographed on the front by Jay Lynch?

The name looks slightly different on each sketch, but the card itself just says that the sketch is hand drawn.

Hoping this is a true autograph as well as a cool sketch of Fish Bone Salad Dressing!

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau
October 14, 2010, 07:15 PM
chesspieceface
The autograph is the real thing, as each sketch card is actually signed by Lynch.
Double congrats!

October 14, 2010, 07:19 PM
Jack London
Thank you!

Dangerous for me to get my interest rekindled in Wackys. Have been on a quest to "recapture" my favorites from when I was a kid. Not only have I been buying new Wacky products, but also some original vintage ones. Smile

Here is a scan of my sketch, btw:

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau
January 17, 2011, 12:03 AM
allender
Boxes hold 24 packs of 3 stickers plus 1 puzzle card, with a box-topper poster and a red envelope containing a sketch card, three oversize (5" x 7") cards from the base set, a logo sticker, and a promo sticker for Old School Series Two. Expect 2.18 base sets of 33 unnumbered stickers and 2.67 sets of 9 puzzle cards per box if collation were perfect. I bought boxes cheap after the seller had snatched up sketches.

BOX 1

Base Stickers (33): 1 complete set, 3 short of 2nd, 9 triples
Puzzle Cards (9): 0 complete set, 1 short of 1st, 2 short of 2nd, 3 triples, 1 four, 1 seven
Logo sticker: yes
Promo sticker: yes
Oversize cards: Bubble Yuk, Batz, Franken Brainy
Sketch card: removed previously

BOX 2

Base Stickers (33): 2 complete sets, 6 triples
Puzzle Cards (9): 1 complete set, 1 short of 2nd, 2 triples, 1 four, 1 five
Logo sticker: no
Promo sticker: no
Oversize cards: Bubble Yuk, Batz, Franken Brainy
Sketch card: removed previously