Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Dark Knight, The (PlaygroundManiacs)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark Knight, The (PlaygroundManiacs)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted
Bonus box of the new Dark Knight stickers & Figurine...

Box claims the total set includes...
144 standard, 12 holo foil, 12 kiss cut(4 mini sticker per), and 12 PVC stickers...180 total stickers in the set, and there is an album.

Breakdown
2 packs per box
Each pack has 8 stickers...
2 standard, 2 kiss cut, 2 holofoil, & 2 pvc
1 figurine (pack1 - Batman, pack2 - batmobile)
Plus the bonus box has an additional 36 stickers including 2 pvc, 2 kc, 2 holo, and 30 standard. Received 52 total stickers and two figurines in one box.

Review...
2 packs per bonus box C-
Box design B+
Wrapper design B+
sticker designs:
PVC D
Holo foil B
Kiss Cut C-
Standard C
Figurine C
Insert ratios B
Fun Factor D
Bang for Buck D

Stickers appear smaller than regular trading cards, and the paper stock is flimsy and subject to warping and peeling. The standard stickers have some solid images, and some have partial images that form a puzzle. The holofoil are the best design of the lot. Insert ratios are reasonable. Wrappers are a little hard to open and preserve. The figurines are sealed, solid plastic, no moveable parts.

Overall C/C-
The younger set would most likely appreciate this release.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well I looked on the internet and seen these for much less then I paid for them but when I went to my local Target store and saw them I grabbed the box of 24 packs. $2.99 A PACK + TAX. The cards are real nice but the toy that came with them sometimes bent the cards. This is a large set 180 sticker cards and although they list foil variations and kiss cut cards they were not any harder to get then the average card. My box gave me 2 sets of 6 different figures (with some duplicates)and only 70 non duplicate CARDS! Yes I know this is not even half the set! I have many, many dupliacte cards so if anyone buys these look at my card talk post in a few days in the trading section for the ones I need. It may take 2 or 3 boxes to even come close to a set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FRANK AMICO,

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened 3 boxes and was around 70 stickers short on 1 set. Probably over 100 for 2nd and not going to bother with 2nd. Had some email contact with PGM via email to distributer and told there's no rare stickers and that this is retail product. When I asked if I should expect same distribution with the next Marvel release I was told " Absolutely Not!". Guess I'll try my luck again.
There's an album to go with stickers that'll be available, but they never say on wrapper or box how/where to get one. Maybe the retail outlets (Target, etc)will order. I've lined one up though distributer.
The PGM website apparently not set up yet.

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stuff_guy:
I opened 3 boxes and was around 70 stickers short on 1 set. Probably over 100 for 2nd and not going to bother with 2nd. Had some email contact with PGM via email to distributer and told there's no rare stickers and that this is retail product. When I asked if I should expect same distribution with the next Marvel release I was told " Absolutely Not!". Guess I'll try my luck again.
There's an album to go with stickers that'll be available, but they never say on wrapper or box how/where to get one. Maybe the retail outlets (Target, etc)will order. I've lined one up though distributer.
The PGM website apparently not set up yet.

Let me know which cards you need I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT. I HAVE LOTS OF DUPLICATES.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd weigh in here, with not exactly a box breakdown, but instead news that Playground Maniacs (or at least a big distributor of their product) was at the San Diego convention with full factory sets of the Dark Knight cards and stickers in a limited edition box. The box "art" was made up of images of the photo stickers and printed on it in silver foil was the face of the Joker and the words "San Diego Comic Con". There was also a Preview Night version which was printed in Gold foil with the words "San Diego Comic Con - Preview Night"

Included in the factory set was all 180 stickers, and album, all 6 figurines, and an exclusive uncut sheet. (This information is found on a little white sticker on the reverse of the box which is wrapped in clear plastic).

I went to the convention on Wednesday thru Friday and Sunday and walked the entire floor extensively but only happened across the Playground Maniacs booth selling the factory sets towards the end of the day on Sunday as the convention was coming to a close.

The elusive booth in question had plenty of the sets left and were selling them for only $20 which seemed like a really good deal. In fact, I had not intended to collect these (since they were stickers as opposed to cards, mostly) but it was too good a deal to pass up once I remembered packs retailed at $2.99. Further I considered, the stickers in this set, unlike those in packs, wouldn't have damage and peeling from being packed with the figurines. (The guy who sold me on the set really played up the fact that you'd be assured a Joker figurine with it, which he said alone was selling for $10-$15.)

As I was deciding to buy the set, I wondered whether to get the regular Silver Edition or the Preview night Gold Edition. My decision was made when I asked him which was more limited, and he quickly answered "the preview night one by far". Maybe I was just tired, because I usually would've asked the exact print runs on each but I didn't think to do so, sorry about that!

So anyway, I got the complete set in the Limited Edition "Preview Night" Gold Foil box for just $20, which I think might have been a reduced price from what they cost at the beginning of the convention.

I refer you back to above when I mentioned only running into the booth once despite having traversed the entire floor numerous times, so I can only say they must have had a really bad location (or the sets were initially priced too high) because I don't see how these handsomely packaged, all-inclusive sets from what will likely be the highest grossing film ever made couldn't have sold out if they were only $20 from the start. We were at a Comic Con for pete's sake and the Batman and Joker (Christian Bale and Heath Ledger) are all over the outer box packaging.

Well, anyway, I'm glad to have one (kinda wish I'd bought the Silver one, too, but I was pretty low on funds by Sunday afternoon). For those of you interested in completing this set, I recommend looking for one of these. Even if it should be more than $20 when you find it, you'd still probably end up making the set for a lot less with the factory than in spending what it'd take to make it by buying packs at nearly 3 bucks per pack, at least based on the posts above which detail pretty shoddy collation in the packs.

Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Quick question - quality of image on stickers? Also, are the stickers normal trading card size?

Thanks!

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darth Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:

The stickers are slightly smaller than normal trading cards. 6cm x 8.5cm (about 2.36in x 3.35in). The images are very good mainly photos clear and crisp, nice images with a good variation, foil stickers, puzzle stickers and some graphic images such as joker playing cards etc.
The boxes at comic-con were selling at $25, there being the comic-con exclusive and preview night comic-con exclusive variants. There was also variation in the foil design there being either a joker smile or bat logo on them. The foil design was then either gold, silver, red or I think blue. There was also a white box with foil on that had the full set plus more uncut sheets, I think that one was $50.
In the last 10-15 mins of comic-con they were selling the boxes at $15 and throwing in free packs!

Posts: 165 | Location: Milton Keynes, UK | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Bought one pack at Target. Got the Tumbler. May try to get all 6 figures and toss the stickers!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So glad to know Playground Maniacs was selling complete sets out atSDCC for 1/2 of what they charged dealers for a box of packs.

We've broken one case (6 Boxes), qnd are short about 35 stickers to make our first set!!

Have tried to trade with some of our customers whose boxes came from a different case - and none of them got more than 77 different stickers in any box, and do not have the missing ones we need,

We also got our case of albums 3 weeks after release, while PM was selling them out at SDCC.
So far PM isn't making a very good impression, imo.

Posts: 622 | Location: Boston, MA USA | Registered: December 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like I 'dodged the bullet' here too, after reading the early reports. It looked like it would take forever to finish a base set with the pack count per box and collation, and I wasn't particularly interested in extra figures.

So I picked up one of the Comic Con sealed boxes on eBay (for more than $20 but less than the cost of a 24-pack box, which sounds like the SDCC sellers didn't have much of a clue). It was the silver version (really bluish-purple lettering and Joker design on the box).

Indeed it held the 180 sticker set, sticker album, all six figures, and an uncut sheet (mine was 83-88, 108, 111, 113).

I would give high marks to the quality of the images, which are full-bleed. The "PVC" stickers are actually simple part-of-card die-cuts, rather worthless as a slight variant over the full-card stickers. The original ads said there would be 6 regular, 1 transparent, and 1 glitter sticker per pack, which would have made the "special" stickers a bit more common than the average normal sticker.

PGM has some promise because the production quality of the items in this set and the Speed Racer set, but they have a long way to go to learn marketing, cultivation of dealers, and satisfying the collectors by making set-building reasonable. Collation was decent with the Speed Racer set, but I hate display boxes that have only 96 base cards when a set is 110. (When there are 24 "chase" cards for a set of 20, I won't bother with a second box, and probably will go to my grave without a complete base set.)

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
for more than $20 but less than the cost of a 24-pack box, which sounds like the SDCC sellers didn't have much of a clue).

Just to note, the "SDCC" sellers were PGM themselves at their booth. I suspect that it was a great opportunity for them to promote their brand line and this was a way to do that. However, I understand the frustration with the poor collation of the mass market boxes/packs. I have not picked up any, and I passed on the CC sets as I am not a big fan of stickers if they are not card sized.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post