Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patdata:
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
had an awesome box!!!!

Truly, masterpieces is not just a title, is a statement of FACT!!! when you look at the level of nuanced detail in the faces, the eyes looking off seeing what must be some glorious site just to the right of him on the woodside, or the brooding vexed nature of gandalf smoking his pipe pondering the role the hobbits will play in reshaping middle earth...why its clear the artist must have spent hours designing these sketchs, to bring out the full experience and detail these sketchs...NEIGH...MASTERPIECES truly achieve! Some might say spending 30-50 secounds on a sketch is to little. These hobgoblins of little minds might make comments like "i cant even tell what this is"...or "1.50 for this sketch? topps got ripped!" but not to this connoisseur! Good work woodside, good work waterhouse! i have a few cases coming tommorow...now i know the odds of me pulling anymore of your work is slim (since you know there are 100 artists) but boy, i got my fingers crossed ill be able to find some of your rare gems somewhere down the road, i just hope i can afford the bidding war they are sure to ensue!

If either of these sketches had been done by Peter Jackson and there was only two or three in the set you would have been dancing round your room like a giddy school kid. It’s just like the Parkman uniform in the Heroes set::- If there had only been ten of those people would have been crowing about pulling one. The card wouldn’t have been any different, just much more rare. So please show some maturity rather than having a cheap dig at the artists.

If they were done by someone who isnt working as an artist, who just happened to be some celeb you did his best and it was bad like these sketchs? yes, in that very contrived situation i would be happy for the effort...effort being the operative word there. These sketchs have no effort put into them. they are done by people hired becouse they are supposed to be artists, who would produce a work of art that was unique and interesting...If Peter Jackson had no artistic ability and tried his best and did this, i would be happy...but that didnt happen. i got sketchs by artists who could do better if they put the tiniest bit of actually effort or creativity into the process...but alas they did not, they choose the way that paid them 90 an hour by taking advantage of the fact topps has no quality control on sketchs...so rightly so, im upset. I did not get a original piece of art by an artists as i was promised. i got a repeated doodle that someone retraced 100's of times that took less then 1 minute to do, and required nothing on their part.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patdata:
quote:
had an awesome box!!!!

Truly, masterpieces is not just a title, is a statement of FACT!!! when you look at the level of nuanced detail in the faces, the eyes looking off seeing what must be some glorious site just to the right of him on the woodside, or the brooding vexed nature of gandalf smoking his pipe pondering the role the hobbits will play in reshaping middle earth...why its clear the artist must have spent hours designing these sketchs, to bring out the full experience and detail these sketchs...NEIGH...MASTERPIECES truly achieve! Some might say spending 30-50 secounds on a sketch is to little. These hobgoblins of little minds might make comments like "i cant even tell what this is"...or "1.50 for this sketch? topps got ripped!" but not to this connoisseur! Good work woodside, good work waterhouse! i have a few cases coming tommorow...now i know the odds of me pulling anymore of your work is slim (since you know there are 100 artists) but boy, i got my fingers crossed ill be able to find some of your rare gems somewhere down the road, i just hope i can afford the bidding war they are sure to ensue!

If either of these sketches had been done by Peter Jackson and there was only two or three in the set you would have been dancing round your room like a giddy school kid. It’s just like the Parkman uniform in the Heroes set::- If there had only been ten of those people would have been crowing about pulling one. The card wouldn’t have been any different, just much more rare. So please show some maturity rather than having a cheap dig at the artists.

If they were done by someone who isnt working as an artist, who just happened to be some celeb you did his best and it was bad like these sketchs? yes, in that very contrived situation i would be happy for the effort...effort being the operative word there. These sketchs have no effort put into them. they are done by people hired becouse they are supposed to be artists, who would produce a work of art that was unique and interesting...If Peter Jackson had no artistic ability and tried his best and did this, i would be happy...but that didnt happen. i got sketchs by artists who could do better if they put the tiniest bit of actually effort or creativity into the process...but alas they did not, they choose the way that paid them 90 an hour by taking advantage of the fact topps has no quality control on sketchs...so rightly so, im upset. I did not get a original piece of art by an artists as i was promised. i got a repeated doodle that someone retraced 100's of times that took less then 1 minute to do, and required nothing on their part.

Careful. We cannot tolerate objective opinion on a message board. Now, go get your pom poms
and start cheering.

Posts: 182 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HELLO ,
I POSTED MY SKETCHES EARLIER AND WOULD LIKE ANY ARTIST INFO ON THIS GANDALF SKETCH.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

THANK YOU. Wavey

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Master Yoda
posted Hide Post
Just finished opening my case... think I did good but kind of disappointed there were so many doubles of artists and 4 Woodside sketches... anyway here is what I got.

First 2 I believe are Tristan Henry-Wilson other 4 Brent Woodside... not sure what the first sketch is supposed to be.

2 Ryan Waterhouse / Christian Dalla Vecchia / Howard Shum / Stephanie Yue / Don Pedicini Jr ... anyone know how many Vecchia or Steph Yue did?

Gold Parallel # 07/90 / Wayne Lo (Did search found out he is an artist on the new Star Wars: Clone Wars TV show coming out in the Fall) Anyone know how many he did? / Nicole Falk / Sarah Wilkinson / Tony Perna

Overall I am happy with the sketches just disappointed about the variety of artists and I have to say the Tristan Henry-Wilson sketches were very below par in my opinion.

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it. I knew what was going to happen. But I put my nickel in and spun the wheel anyway. Now there is one less smoking Gandalf, which I kind of like. And one less Fabbri to be pulled. I doubt I will play again, I usually learn my lesson the first time. But I had to give it at least one shot.

Posts: 116 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Cardz_house
posted Hide Post
Got my case today and I think I did quite well.....let me know what you guys feel. I show the worst ones first to the best one last.

First 5 sketches, nothing to say. I believe other collectors have echoed my thoughts.

Need help identifying Theoden at Helm's Deep. I think its a Shum and the other is Vecchia obviously.

The one on the left is Colleen Doran 'Legolas'. The right one has stumped me. Any help?

The 2 both are by Rich Woodall, loved the Balrog piece.

The next 2 are done by Bruce Gerlach, really nice!! The Gollum piece is really amazing.

Next 2 are by Davide Rabbitte. Amazing Theoden sketch!!!

The last and best piece is by Tom Hodges. I believe Hodges only did 56 cards and this card was originally considered to be 1 of the 6 back so I am pretty pleased to have it in my possession.

Overall, my case has duplicate artists but I can't fault it as they are nice sketches with the exception of the mass produced 'photo copier' pieces.

Some of my traders: Star*Mystyk, davelennox, Jack London, Chris Byrne, TAT, spidergoblin, Brimaster, cverdec, mac13, mars53, Ryan Cracknell, wuher, angelchick182, FRANK AMICO, batmancity, Card Reaper, Over_Worked_Mom, Dewman, THX2112, venom5liter, batmancity, barobehere, KADRAN00157, browninga5m, trade-a-card, FCB, wolfie, ghostrider666, Brian A. Davis, s8zaphod, Cee_Jay

Posts: 1451 | Location: Singapore | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
you did very very well! congrats on that big time! i love that hodges. He really came to bat and did really nice sketchs. He has such a great style that you would think would translate perfectly into comicbook work, im amazed i dont see his name more in comic book as a penciller or inker. Also love that propst sketch, talk about tight! also, you only got 5 sub minute sketchs, you did exceptionally well, most people get 7-8.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
Got my two boxes today!

4 base sets.
2 sets of 9 foils
2 sets of ecthed foils
2 bronze foils
4 sketshes

1st box:

2nd box:

Nice cards in the set. Sketches - Well they speak for themselves.

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
Cardz_House:

I think your Propst is Frodo running from a Ringwraith and I believe your one Gerlach is a Goblin, not Gollum.

Overall, really nice sketches though!

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GERCHEW:
HELLO ,
I POSTED MY SKETCHES EARLIER AND WOULD LIKE ANY ARTIST INFO ON THIS GANDALF SKETCH.

THANK YOU. Wavey

Hi!
Actually that is not Gandalf, that must be Treebeard!

And Cardz_House: I have to agree with "Kjn": I think it is a Goblin and not Gollum. But its a really nice sketch non the less Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:
quote:
Originally posted by tlca:
Does anybody know where I can find a website with the gallery of the sketch of every single artist?
Here you go Cool,

LOTRsketchcards.com

I mean the site with the Masterpieces 2 sketch artist, because on this one only show the sketches from the first set

Posts: 90 | Location: california | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There is no database for those sketches yet... some artists such as myself have put most if not all of the sketches we have done for LOTR M2 on our website for viewing.

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the breakdown for my first case. I'll report on the sketch cards later after I sort, research, and enjoy them a bit. I refused to be rushed through the high point of my month. Wink

CASE #0361202

Each box contains 36 packs of 7 cards. Expect 3.25 base sets of 72 cards if collation were perfect.

Five of my eight boxes were "identical." Each contained:

- Base cards: 3 complete sets plus 18 extras
- Box-topper poster
- Sketch cards: 2
- Russ Walks Etched Foils (6, 1:6 packs): 1 complete set of 6
- Russ Walks Original Art Redemption (1/1, 1:108000 packs): none
- Alan Lee (ROTK End Credits) Silver Foils (9, 1:4 packs): 1 complete set of 9
- Parallel Bronze Foils (9, 1:36 packs): one
- Parallel Gold Foils (9, 1:836 packs, # to 90): none
- Parallel Refractor Foils (9, 1:72000, # 1/1): none

One box was the same except it was missing the box-topper poster. One box was the same except the base cards had 2 complete sets, 4 short of 3rd set, 22 extras.

The goodie parallel-card box was the same except:

- Base cards: 3 complete sets, 17 extras
- Parallel Gold Foils: #3 of 9, # 20/90

Case summary: The case contained 25 base sets, short exactly 1 from a 26th, with no extras. In other words, collation across the case was "perfect" but the gold parallel displaced a base card (#2).

A complete set of the Alan Lee foils and Russ Walks etched foils in every box. The advertised number of two sketch cards per box. One parallel gold in the case, when you would expect one in about three cases. Seven of nine (crossover?) bronze foils, missing #2 and #5, with a duplicate for #8.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
Hobby Case

Box 1:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 1
2 Sketches Darla Ecklund, Jamie Snell

Box 2:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 9
2 Sketches Christian Dalla Vecchia, Kyle Babbitt

Box 3:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 6
2 Sketches Brent Woodside, Zach Giallongo

Box 4:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-3, 5-9, 7
1 Foil Art Bronze 3
2 Sketches Mark Propst, Ryan Waterhouse

Box 5:
======
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 3
2 Sketches Brent Woodside, Ryan Waterhouse

Box 6:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 6
2 Sketches Mike Segawa, Ryan Waterhouse

Box 7:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 5
2 Sketches Karen Krajenbrink, Rich Woodall

WTF ?!?

Box 8:
=====
3 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil 1-6
9 Foil Art 1-9
1 Foil Art Bronze 4
2 Sketches Davide Fabbri, Sean Pence

Got some great sketches but a few are ****. I won't be buying any future LOTR sets unless Topps figures out what they are doing and approving.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: venom5liter,

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venom5liter:
Got some great sketches but a few are ****. I won't be buying any future LOTR sets unless Topps figures out what they are doing and approving.

Wow,
Some great cards their. The Pence and the Snell are fantastic. If you get rid of the Waterhouse, Woodside, and Woodall You have a great bunch of cards.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Overall, Mike, that's a great case. Heck, any case with a Sean Pence is a winner, and you pulled quite a few other nice cards. Every case is going to have the lesser sketches, it is what it is with those. Still, nice going! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion:
quote:
Originally posted by GERCHEW:
HELLO ,

THANK YOU. Wavey

Hi!
Actually that is not Gandalf, that must be Treebeard!

And Cardz_House: I have to agree with "Kjn": I think it is a Goblin and not Gollum. But its a really nice sketch non the less Smile

Hello friend,
THAT IS NOT TREEBEARD LOOKING CLOSE UP AT THE SKETCH YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE GANDALF'S HAT BRIM ON HIS RIGHT.AND THE NOSE MATCHES GANDALS.ANYBODY KNOW THE ARTIST? Big Grin

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
Looks like Treebeard to me as well.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is 110% Treebeard.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
wow, see i would look at that case, and say great pulls! Granted, you got a lot of dead sketchs, and that is a huge problem, but at least half of your sketchs were done by artists, and would actually qualify as art! id have been happy to have that case. you got 2 home run sketchs as well! That pence is the nicest pence ive seen so far.