Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
GERCHEW: That is definitely a Treebeard. I believe it's done by Cassandra Seimons.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bouncey
THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE.TAKE CARE.
WHAT DID YOU THINK OF MY 2 CASE BREAK ON PAGE 4 ?

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALMOST FORGOT ,IF THERE IS ANYTHING ANYBODY WAS INTERESTED IN I'M WILLING TO TRADE.LET ME KNOW.I AM HUGE FAN OF ARWEN & CAT STAGGS. Thumb Up

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
wow, see i would look at that case, and say great pulls! Granted, you got a lot of dead sketchs, and that is a huge problem, but at least half of your sketchs were done by artists, and would actually qualify as art! id have been happy to have that case. you got 2 home run sketchs as well! That pence is the nicest pence ive seen so far.

I'd be interested to hear which 8 sketches don't qualify as art in your expert opinion.

I agree that this is a very nice case and there in lies the problem with many buyers. They get a case like this and they are unhappy.

You're getting two sketches per box and it appears what we have seen to date continues to be the norm, just over half the cards in a case are viewed as nice.

I also wonder do you really dislike the Waterhouse sketch of Gandalf or do you just dislike the fact that it was done over time and time again. Does anyone who sees that card not know who the character is when they view it?

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
I also wonder do you really dislike the Waterhouse sketch of Gandalf or do you just dislike the fact that it was done over time and time again. Does anyone who sees that card not know who the character is when they view it?

You raise a good point. Even though it's very rough and lacks definite detail, it's still quite obvious to fans that it's a sketch of Gandalf. Now to people who've only seen the movie in passing...they might not know off the top of their head, but then again I don't see many casual fans buying boxes of this product either.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjn:
quote:

You raise a good point. Even though it's very rough and lacks definite detail, it's still quite obvious to fans that it's a sketch of Gandalf. Now to people who've only seen the movie in passing...they might not know off the top of their head, but then again I don't see many casual fans buying boxes of this product either.

If I draw 2 dots and a single curvy line in the right configuration, most people would say that is a "smiley face".

Just because most people recognize what a drawing represents or is supposed to be does not make it a "masterpiece" or having "artistic value".

Personally, I think everyone who received a Waterhouse, Woodside, or Woodall should send the sketches back to Topps for replacement. I mean, I was under the impression that Topps was a quality company. A company that would never let such an unfortunate and obvious incident of "accidently" getting "rejected sketches" mixed in with the good ones.

These things do happen, and I am QUITE sure Topps will gladly replace these abominations with sketches that live up to the "Topps Standards of Quality" we know they strive for with every product.

Topps US
One Whitehall Street
New York, NY 10004

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of doggonit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
If I draw 2 dots and a single curvy line in the right configuration, most people would say that is a "smiley face".

Just because most people recognize what a drawing represents or is supposed to be does not make it a "masterpiece" or having "artistic value".

Personally, I think everyone who received a Waterhouse, Woodside, or Woodall should send the sketches back to Topps for replacement. I mean, I was under the impression that Topps was a quality company. A company that would never let such an unfortunate and obvious incident of "accidently" getting "rejected sketches" mixed in with the good ones.

These things do happen, and I am QUITE sure Topps will gladly replace these abominations with sketches that live up to the "Topps Standards of Quality" we know they strive for with every product.

Topps US
One Whitehall Street
New York, NY 10004

might as well ...
cheaper to send them back than sell them for a $1 a piece

Posts: 717 | Location: uk | Registered: April 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
quote:
Originally posted by kjn:
quote:

Topps US
One Whitehall Street
New York, NY 10004

Funny...I don't recall alluding to the fact that the Gandalf sketch was a "masterpiece". Arvin simply stated it was obvious what it was and I agreed. When I think of masterpieces, I think of the Mona Lisa, the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, the Venus De Milo, David, The Last Supper, The Wedding At Cana, etc. I don't think any sketch card that has ever been released is a "masterpiece". Some are very very very good though.

This percieved (only by some mind you) requirement that sketch cards should be small unframed relics on loan from the Louvre is getting out of hand.

Buying any box of cards is and always was a gamble. This is especially true of Topps products. By all means let Topps know you're unhappy. Let them know you think they're asking too much of some artists and paying them too little. Let them know you think their collation manages to defy physics by sucking and blowing at the same time. But calling these cards abominations and calling for a mass return is going a bit far in my opinion. So, the next time I open a box of Star Trek cards and pull a Joe Wehadababyitsaboy auto instead of a Shatner or Nimoy I should return it? Because I didn't get the "value" out of the box that I paid into it despite getting exactly what I was told I would get? I don't see any card company making guarantees that "you'll get a sketch/auto/costume card out of this box that'll be so good it'll make you tear up and believe you're having a religious experience"...no I see "One sketch/auto/costume card per box". Not every box is going to have an A list signer in it, nor a memorabilia card with 13 colors in it, nor a "masterpiece" sketch.

This crybaby bellyaching about Topps boggles the mind. I am literally boggled here. This is the SAME thing we go through with nearly ALL Topps releases. How many complaints have been posted here about their stuff? Superman Returns, King Kong, Transformers, Heroes, Star Wars, LOTR...the list goes on and on. I'm sure we'll be right back here same bat time same bat channel until summer with the two Indiana Jones releases coming out. If this is bothering you guys THIS much, write them and tell them about it...or better yet, either stop buying Topps products altogether or invest less money until they do something different!!

You know if a dog bites me, I'm going to be wary about going near it again. If I go back and it bites me again, I'm not going to try my luck a third time. The same principle applies here folks.

Ok rant over. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kjn,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
FX Thunderous applause
A truer word has not been written Thumb Up

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All of the artwork is nice in its own way, but my only problem is that there seems to be more duplication of images than should have been necessary.

I was charmed by the Waterhouse "hooded mountain troll" sketch I pulled in the very first box I opened. But by Box #5, I had pulled my third one. I have too much respect for Ryan's art to blame him. If I were Topps, I would try my darnedest to limit the number of same-artist same-subject-and-theme cards to no more than one of anything per case. It's a bit of a stretch to call each of them "1/1" when there are 5000 that are very similar.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nevets
posted Hide Post
thank you kjn for your rant. Smile

topps is a public company that puts their stockholders first (read $$$$$$)

this is not a new development

so PLEASE , lets get back to posting our breakdowns here folks

NOT your poor me spoiled american rude selfish demanding no wonder the rest of the world hates us verbal diarhea

thank you

Posts: 168 | Location: Portland | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WELL SAID NEVETS.

THIS IS FOR BOX BREAKDOWNS FRIENDS,NOT A DEBATE.WE SHOULD BE ENJOYING THE REALLY NICE SKETCHES THAT ARE COMING OUT OF THE BREAKS.I AGREE THAT SOME OF THE WATERHOUSE & WOODSIDES AREN'T "MASTERPIECES",BUT EVERY LOTR PRODUCT WITH SKETCHES HAS HAD SOME MEDIOCRE ONES IN A CASE.I ACTUALLY ENJOYED THE 2 CASE BREAK,I DIDN'T GET A GOLD PARALLEL,BUT THATS THE LUCK OF THE DRAW.
REMEMBER THIS FOR FUN ,TAKE CARE.ENJOY Dance

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
wow, see i would look at that case, and say great pulls! Granted, you got a lot of dead sketchs, and that is a huge problem, but at least half of your sketchs were done by artists, and would actually qualify as art! id have been happy to have that case. you got 2 home run sketchs as well! That pence is the nicest pence ive seen so far.

I'd be interested to hear which 8 sketches don't qualify as art in your expert opinion.

I agree that this is a very nice case and there in lies the problem with many buyers. They get a case like this and they are unhappy.

You're getting two sketches per box and it appears what we have seen to date continues to be the norm, just over half the cards in a case are viewed as nice.

wow, im honored you consider me an art expert. Thank you for that. Oh, as for who is an is not an artist, and what is/isnt art, it lined it out here

definition

See, i kept hearing this odd arguement, that since the card says sketch on it, that somehow justifies the no thought sketchs that took less then a minute, were the same repeated drawing over and over, and had no real inspiration in them (after 500 of the same sketch over and over, sorta hard to get inspired i guess lol). Anyway, since that arguement kept getting made, that somehow the words printed on the sketchcards were the final arguement on the matter, i decided to really look at the wording and what was promised on the sketch cards. Turns out, they promise

1. they will be done by an artist
2. they are pieces of art
3. they are original

Since people kept throwing out the definition of sketch as if that proved somehow anything that gets doodled on these cards is fine since they are "sketchs" in their eyes, that won the arguement. SO , i decided to look up the definition of artist, and art. Turns out, by the definition of the word, thoes 10000 sketchs by the 5 artists in question, dont really qualify as art becouse they dont meet the definition. And, becouse of the work being showcased on the cards themselves are as such, done in that repeated assemblyline manner, in terms of thoes sketchs, the ones doodling them dont qualify as artists for thoes cards only. If the entire arguement FOR these 1000 doodles that took less then a 1 minute total, is the dictionary definition of a word printed on them, i figured id show how , if were just using literally definitions, they infact arent what topps claimed them to be, and that people who pulled them didnt get what they were promised becouse they dont meet the definitions of the terms written expressly on the cards.

Anyway, this type of discussion should not be held here, it should be moved to News/rumors or general discussion.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
grow up and quit acting like a baby dude.

its a gamble. you win some you loose some.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:

Absolultly. Having got well stung on gawd knows how many Topps releases, you have to know when to carry on and when to stop. The trouble is, they have so many good franchises

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dillndill
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the box breakdown thread, but if I'm mistaken, please forgive my ignorance. Anyway...

Base Sets: 2(probably 3 but my son took some that he liked)
Foil Art Cards: 1-9 (1 set)
Foil Art Cards Bronze Parallel: 6
Etched-Foil Cards: 1, 3(2), 4, 5, 6
Sketch Cards: 1 Rabbitte(Aragon?), 1 Gould(King of the Dead).

After hearing all the negative comments surrounding this set on the board here, I was a little nervous at first on what to expect, but must say that overall I'm very pleased. The base set truly are MASTERPIECES and the art presented is just outstanding. The sketch cards are icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, all you unhappy campers out there. If you don't like this set, send them my way and I'll be glad to take them off your hand. My email is in my profile Big Grin

Posts: 84 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: December 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:

Jeez bro, you realise no one was talking to ya right? He asked me a question, i answer it. I got it, you think anything you pull is a gift no matter what it is. Great, im not you. You should grow up a little and not constantly call people out for disagreeing with you.

Btw, this is meant for box breakdowns only, can we keep it on topic? and leave the debate to other threads? if you got a question or a statement, ask it or make it somewhere else. just rehashing the past is cluttering this up.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
why do you keep chattin' then?

i'll ask my question again!
Did Kayanan "draw" for this too?

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:

There's a link to scoundrel which lists all the artists that worked on this release in this thread in gen topics Chris.

https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/3081049172/p/1

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:

From the list I've seen - NO

Check-Out-My-Cards ID: BigI929Deals

Posts: 113 | Location: SW PA | Registered: January 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post