Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Montgomery:
This product is complete and utter garbage. I bought 4 boxs for over two hundred dollars and got four helmut heads from Waterhouse. The exact same 10 second sketch I already bought on ebay for 99 cents. Out of the remaining four, two were barely passable sketchs by Woodside and Tristan, so I pretty much ended up with two decent sketches for over two hundred dollars.

I'm going to send my four helmuts back to Topps, since I definitly don't need them. They obviously think they're great, so its my opinion that we should all mail our numerous copies of these spectacular cards back to Topps to show our undying gratitude for their obvious devotion to customer satisfaction.

I'll post my two good sketchs latter when I feel better.

I'm curious why you bought this product.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought four boxs of Masterpieces to get eight random sketchs by hopefully 6-8 random artists out of the promeniently advertised 100+ artists that worked on the set. I don't think it is unreasonable for myself and others to express their disatisfaction when we get mass duplicates from one or two out of a hundred artists.

I've bought alot of boxs, so I understand its a gamble. I don't expect to get sketchs worth more than the box price. I don't even expect to break even. I do expect to at least get a variety of sketchs worth a fraction of the value I invested in buying boxs. I'm not speculating or trying to make a profit, I'm just asking for the insertion collalation and odds to be reasonable.

I wouldn't be upset when I got 50-75% common artist sketchs if they were at least different. Topps didn't even take the effort to insure that the mass produced sketch were inserted in a way that didn't result in box containing two of the same sketch.

I should add that I'm not disapointed by the sketchs by Woodside and Tristan as they were at least different.

Posts: 26 | Location: Albuqueruqe NM | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
sorry bro :-(. i sorta like the idea of sendimg the sketchs back to topps actually. i know of someone who buys the garbage 99 cent ones and paints over em lol. guess thats called recycling.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Montgomery:
quote:

I bought four boxs of Masterpieces to get eight random sketchs by hopefully 6-8 random artists out of the promeniently advertised 100+ artists that worked on the set. I don't think it is unreasonable for myself and others to express their disatisfaction when we get mass duplicates from one or two out of a hundred artists.

I've bought alot of boxs, so I understand its a gamble. I don't expect to get sketchs worth more than the box price. I don't even expect to break even. I do expect to at least get a variety of sketchs worth a fraction of the value I invested in buying boxs. I'm not speculating or trying to make a profit, I'm just asking for the insertion collalation and odds to be reasonable.

I wouldn't be upset when I got 50-75% common artist sketchs if they were at least different. Topps didn't even take the effort to insure that the mass produced sketch were inserted in a way that didn't result in box containing two of the same sketch.

I should add that I'm not disapointed by the sketchs by Woodside and Tristan as they were at least different.

I guess I'm a bit slow, but if you indeed have bought, "alot of boxes" as you state and realize, "it's a gamble", then why are you now whining?

There was info available prior to this set going live, giving consumers a fairly accurate idea of how many cards were done by each artist. Taking this info and processing it should have alerted buyers to the fact that the problems of mass duplication could be very possible.

If you're so unhappy with this product, by all means write Topps, but just be adult enough to admit your true reason for buying this product.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a breakdown thread -- let's keep it on track.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I opened a box. I don't bother with any more unless I can get one REALLY ceap.

The base cards are beautiful.

Sketchs
1 helmetted orc by Ryan Waterhouse
1 sinking boat by Kevin Doyle.

1 bronze foil parallel + 1 full set of 9 foil cards.
1 set of 6 etched-foil cards.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I opened a box as well. . .

1 Bronze
9 Parallel
6 foil

1 'Smoking Gandalf' by Waterhouse
1 Saruman by Tristan.

The box cost around $75 at a local comic shop (I know I could have found one cheaper, but I like to support the local guy).

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
I know that I'm coming to the party a bit late, but this is what i got in my two boxes:

First box:

James Bukauskas

Evan Bryce

Second box:

Christian Della Vecchia

Jon Ocampo

I'm happy to have pulled what I think are four good cards in differing styles.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
Bought 3 boxes from a local show today.

Box 1

Ingrad Hardy and Steven Miller

Box 2

Ryan Waterhouse and Kevin Doyle

Box 3

Wayne Lo and Brent Woodside

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone help me indentify the artists of these sketches?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 226 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Top card is Nina Edland

Bottom card is by Kevin Doyle

Smile

Second card could be Kate Bradley, but am not too sure.

*Note: as I was editing who the second card was, zhamlau made the post below*

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justm,

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
2nd from the top is red (kate) bradley.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Agree with all of the other answers. Wink The final one is Carly Monardo.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys.

Posts: 226 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am expecting 2 cases of LOTR Masterpieces II tomorrow. I havent opened any of this product yet...so I am looking forward to it. I will post my sketches after the break. I might need some help to identify some of the sketches.

Thanks BB

Posts: 15 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of samauto
posted Hide Post
Here are the best from my boxes...

All are available for trade...

Cheers, Pete.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I busted 2 cases today. Any help with Artist and Characters will help. Thanks BB

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wosGmK0dES0

Not sure how to post pics here????

Posts: 15 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I busted a few more cases...had my lucky charm help me out this time...so she insisted on taking a pic with one of the cards Smile

Posts: 284 | Location: Boise, ID, USA | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Some nice sketches & a nice picture too Thumb Up

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
that are some great sketches

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post