Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOTR Masterpieces 2 (Topps)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Case 6

Posts: 226 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey that's cool, there's my Bilbo I did....

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Pedicini Jr.:
Hey that's cool, there's my Bilbo I did....

Cool card too, I love the expression on his face.

Posts: 226 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dillndill:
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
Does anyone have a clue what the left card on the second row is supposed to be?

It appears, to me anyway, that it's a leg from the knee down???

Yes, you are absolutely correct! The artist is Tristan Henry-Wilson. I emailed him last night to inquire about the card and he did confirm this was a leg with armour. Checkout his website, he's got some nice work.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
Yeh its the start of the climb upto Cirth Ungol (Tower of the spider).

This is correct. I emailed Patrick about this card and he sent me a very nice email, which included a screencap of the scene he based the card on.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVE Sarumans Staff lol. You cant draw the character, but you can draw his staff! Thats a really creative way to get around that, and i love the scroll title. someone really put a lot of thought into that one, good stuff.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
I just read that Cat and Allison managed to get a few Sarumans approved by Lee. One of Cat's Sarumans recently ended w/ a BIN of $299.

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my box today, here's the breakdown:

3 base sets of 72 cards - 17 extras

9 Foil Art Cards - a complete set

6 Etched Foil Cards - a complete set

1 Bronze Parallel Foil

1 Gold Foil Parallel (44/90)

2 Sketches Unknown artists, swordsman and helmet

The base set and foils are great, it was really nice to get a gold foil of Gollum, the 2 sketches are rather dull compared with previous pulls from the other sets and what I've seen in this thread. I still hopw to buy a few packs, so maybe I'll find a really great one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of razz007
posted Hide Post
Here's my the checklist of the 306 cards I did. So if anybody gets a card and don't know if its mine just look check my Flickr portfolio http://www.flickr.com/photos/razcity/sets/72157601928149545/

Apologies to those who end up with some of my weaker cards

Posts: 2 | Location: ATL | Registered: February 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see any weak cards in that portfolio...

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the help of a lot of knowledgeable people, I have been given the character/object names and CORRECTCORRECT artist name.

Following are the corrected scans:

Character - Legolas
Artist - Otto Dieffenbach

Character - Gandolf
Artist - Christian Dalla Vecchia

Character – Gollum Mouth
Artist – Jamie Snell

Character – Sam
Artist – Kevin Doyle

Characters – Arwen & Aragorn
Artist - Chris Henderson

Character – Balrog
Artist – Pat Hamill
The scan does not do this card justice – it’s magnificent.

Character – Modor Orc
Artist – Brent Woodside

Character – Sam
Artist – Brent Woodside

Character – Moria Goblin/Orc
Artist – Tony Perna

Character – Boromir
Artist – Rich Molinelli

Character/Object – Mordor/Eye of Sauron & Mt Doom
Artist – Jon Morris

Character – Cave Troll
Artist – Grant Gould

Character – Gothmog, Orc Captain
Artist – Grant Gould

Character – Mountain Toll
Artist - Ryan Waterhouse
Got 2 of this card

Character – Frodo
Artist – Jon Morris

Character – Eowyn
Artist – Steven Miller

Check-Out-My-Cards ID: BigI929Deals

Posts: 113 | Location: SW PA | Registered: January 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
had an awesome box!!!!

Truly, masterpieces is not just a title, is a statement of FACT!!! when you look at the level of nuanced detail in the faces, the eyes looking off seeing what must be some glorious site just to the right of him on the woodside, or the brooding vexed nature of gandalf smoking his pipe pondering the role the hobbits will play in reshaping middle earth...why its clear the artist must have spent hours designing these sketchs, to bring out the full experience and detail these sketchs...NEIGH...MASTERPIECES truly achieve! Some might say spending 30-50 secounds on a sketch is to little. These hobgoblins of little minds might make comments like "i cant even tell what this is"...or "1.50 for this sketch? topps got ripped!" but not to this connoisseur! Good work woodside, good work waterhouse! i have a few cases coming tommorow...now i know the odds of me pulling anymore of your work is slim (since you know there are 100 artists) but boy, i got my fingers crossed ill be able to find some of your rare gems somewhere down the road, i just hope i can afford the bidding war they are sure to ensue!

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I was very happy with my case breakdowns.I opened 2 cases and while I was upset as many of you are with Waterhouse & Woodside repeats it was balanced out with really sweet sketches I pulled after those.Please tell me how to post images and I'll put up scans and a detailed description of the break.
Gerald

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some scans [IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ClapI apologize for the HUGE SCANS.
Here are the resized images.If anyone can help me identify the gandalf with Dark Inks (looks like charcoal) I need to know the artist.Thanks everyone,enjoy.
[IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG] [IMG:left] [/IMG]

I am keeping all 3 Arwen's and the Graham Ringwraith color.I hope you all do well in this release and the upcoming Indiana Jones.Take care.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kjn
posted Hide Post
I really dig that Graham Ringwraith. That's just an awesome sketch! Metal

Posts: 1116 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously cool!!!
How much for these gems ....
I thought my Heroes sketches were great .. how wrong was I!
Now who produced this set ... was it that great company called Tops? All hail the mighty Topps!

quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
had an awesome box!!!!

Truly, masterpieces is not just a title, is a statement of FACT!!! when you look at the level of nuanced detail in the faces, the eyes looking off seeing what must be some glorious site just to the right of him on the woodside, or the brooding vexed nature of gandalf smoking his pipe pondering the role the hobbits will play in reshaping middle earth...why its clear the artist must have spent hours designing these sketchs, to bring out the full experience and detail these sketchs...NEIGH...MASTERPIECES truly achieve! Some might say spending 30-50 secounds on a sketch is to little. These hobgoblins of little minds might make comments like "i cant even tell what this is"...or "1.50 for this sketch? topps got ripped!" but not to this connoisseur! Good work woodside, good work waterhouse! i have a few cases coming tommorow...now i know the odds of me pulling anymore of your work is slim (since you know there are 100 artists) but boy, i got my fingers crossed ill be able to find some of your rare gems somewhere down the road, i just hope i can afford the bidding war they are sure to ensue!

Posts: 57 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by baabaa5:
Seriously cool!!!
How much for these gems ....
I thought my Heroes sketches were great .. how wrong was I!
Now who produced this set ... was it that great company called Tops? All hail the mighty Topps!

[QUOTE]

From someone who just orderd 2 more cases because I was pleased with my first 6, let me go against the grain and say, Yes Hail the mighty Topps. This is a great set with great sketches. The cases are well balanced and that is what matters.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
had an awesome box!!!!

If either of these sketches had been done by Peter Jackson and there was only two or three in the set you would have been dancing round your room like a giddy school kid. It’s just like the Parkman uniform in the Heroes set::- If there had only been ten of those people would have been crowing about pulling one. The card wouldn’t have been any different, just much more rare. So please show some maturity rather than having a cheap dig at the artists.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
did the atrist Kayan (sp?) draw from this set too?

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post