Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Classic Vintage Movie Posters 2009 (Breygent)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Vintage Movie Posters 2009 (Breygent)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
was there anything in the coat pocket?????/

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I finally broke down and got a box at a show yesterday. I haven't had a chance to sit down and really look closely at the base set, but the cards are very nice looking. Here's what I got:

Box #70 of 3000:

1 Base set, approx. 41 doubles & triples
Comedy chase set: VC1, VC8, VC9
Monsters chase set: VM1, VM2, VM3
Stars chase set: VS7, VS8, VS9
Costume cards: VT1 Lucille Ball's Faux Leopard Coat, VJ1 John Wayne's Neck Scarf
1 Box loader (box bottomer?): Promo 1 for Sci-
Fi posters set "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

The only thing I didn't care for so much was that other than the single base set I got the collation for base cards was fairly atrocious with triples of multiple cards. Not a big complaint, though, since I did get the base set.

What I really loved is the back of the Costume cards with pictures of the items before they were cut up and letters of provenance for them. Very nice!

Looking at the single the dealer had with him, he had cut signatures for Rod Steiger, Red Skelton and Rock Hudson. Hmm...I just noticed they're all names that start with "R". Spooky!

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Nevermore“, quoth the Buyer…

One of the last products that I purchased was the 2009 Breygent Vintage Classic Movie Posters Cards. I normally do not purchase a lot of non-sports cards but each year I buy these and a few other Breygent offerings. Over the past few years the cards and the premiums inside have gotten better. There are better cut signatures, on-card autographs, sketch cards, and this year screen worn costume and relic cards.

I picked up my case (12 boxes…all numbered to 3,000) and I also purchased six (half a case) boxes that were left over from another case.

I cracked the case first and received a nice group of costume relics. These cards fell at a rate of two per box. The cut signatures were one per case, as well as the sketch cards. I received a very nice Jimmy Stewart cut numbered to 10 and a full color sketch by artist James McNeil. Everything was great until I opened the next to the last box. Where all the other boxes had included two relic cards this box had none, not one and definitely not two.

I opened the rest and also busted the six other boxes. All of those had two relics per box and I was fortunate enough to get a cut signature from that half of a case. While opening the cards I also noted that many of the “foil” or “chase” cards were damaged, all in the upper corner.

I sent an email to Breygent and explained the situation with the cards and missing relics. After a few “are you telling me there was no relics at all” emails I sent along the case barcode, the box barcodes, all of the numbered security seals, and the damaged cards. I also sent a note and stated that out of all the boxes I was unable to build a relic set. I had received as many as five of one of the relics but I was missing two.

I received a package from Breygent about a week or so ago and inside was the replacement foil or chase cards and one of the missing relic cards. I understand that both relics may not have been available to send to me but I am still short a relic and that pretty much seems to be the final word from Breygent.

I spend about 30K per year on wax. Each year I wait for Breygents new releases and pick up no less than a case of them. I have purchased cases of Sci-Fi Poster cards, Marilyn Monroe cards, Movie Poster cards, etc.
I must now say I am finished with this company and their product. Its terrible that my future purchases are based on this recent customer service. Breygent should not feel alone. I have stopped buying many releases from other companies like, Upper Deck because of such issues.

I have collected cards and other memorabilia for more than 30 years. I have no reason to try and gain anything “for free” from a company. I just expect courtesy and service when there is a problem. Thanks for allowing me to voice this opinion.

Submarine Shane -Collector/Dealer

Posts: 12 | Location: NC | Registered: April 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
I think you did really well!

Sorry to hear you are done with products from Breygent, I am sure you are gonna miss out big time.
And if I may suggest, maybe you should`ve contacted Tom again after you got your replacement- package, as I am sure Tom always pull through regarding customer- service. Voicing your disatisfaction here may not do you any favours if you didn`t!

Happy collecting!

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy opening Breygent boxes, and these were no different.

Here's my breakdown

Box 419
1 base set
VM 7,8,9
VC 5,6,7
VS 4,5
VT1 Lucille Ball's Faux Leopard Coat
VR1 Babe Ruth bat

Box 495
1 base set
VM 4,5
VC 2,3,4
VS 1,2,9
VT1 Lucille Ball's Faux Leopard Coat
VB2 Buckwheat's Tie

No sketches or cut signatures in my boxes, but still a great release. Base set is sublime - This is how to do a base set. The chase sets are real neat too. I was able to make a third base set with the extras from each box. I am not a big pieceworks fan but these are extremely well done.

The only downside was that the pieceworks are too easy to spot! Hence there will be hot packs for sale on feebay.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Victory_is_Mine!!
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for my boxes to get here after seeing some of the pulls here. Looks like another winner for Breygent.

Posts: 86 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Opened a box and got these two memorabilia cards. Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
2 boxes:

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Marlon Brando auto

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Ripped open a box today: (Think it was one of the last est. #2985!)

Incomplete base set Confused (Missing #1 & #72) - Quite a few tripples in th extra base cards.

Comedy cards x 3

Stars cards x 2.

Monster cards x 3.

Only complaint - aside from the incomplete base set is that most/all of the lower chase all had damaged corners Shake Head quite noticable.

John Wayne costume card Bouncey

Boxing Glove prop card. - Was super excited when I saw an extra thick card - dreaming of a cut signature Twak - Reality check haha.

Tempted to pick up another box but nearly broke having paid out for x 4 boxes of Vintage Posters series. Roll Eyes

Ps. What's with the Promo for the Vintage series in the over sized card topper underneath all the packs? Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Ripped open a box today: (Think it was one of the last est. #2985!)

Incomplete base set Confused (Missing #1 & #72) - Quite a few tripples in th extra base cards.

Comedy cards x 3

Stars cards x 2.

Monster cards x 3.

Only complaint - aside from the incomplete base set is that most/all of the lower chase all had damaged corners Shake Head quite noticable.

John Wayne costume card Bouncey

Boxing Glove prop card. - Was super excited when I saw an extra thick card - dreaming of a cut signature Twak - Reality check haha.

Tempted to pick up another box but nearly broke having paid out for x 4 boxes of Vintage Posters series. Roll Eyes

Ps. What's with the Promo for the Vintage series in the over sized card topper underneath all the packs? Smile

The theory behind the promo in oversized Top Loader was designed to prevent dealers/Cherry pickers from knowing which box out of a case had the cut signature in. The cut Signature was only 1 per case.

Not sure if I still have the odds from that release, but if you drop an email with your missing cards I'll have a look.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:

The theory behind the promo in oversized Top Loader was designed to prevent dealers/Cherry pickers from knowing which box out of a case had the cut signature in. The cut Signature was only 1 per case.

Not sure if I still have the odds from that release, but if you drop an email with your missing cards I'll have a look.

Thanks - Email sent Wave

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post