Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Galactic Files Series 2 (Topps, 2013)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Galactic Files Series 2 (Topps, 2013)
 Login/Join

posted
Lots of fun opening these cases last night.

Case 1:

Jett Lucas, Kenneth Colley, Peter Mayhew
Black Plate 422 Bultar Swan, James Earl Jones, Carrie Fisher
Darth Vader by Patricia Ross, C-3P0 by Scott Houseman, Imperial Guard by Tim Proctor.

Anakin by Dennis Salvatier, Boba Fett by Mike Vasquez, Lando Calrissian by Bob Stevlic
Padme by ???, Han Solo by Mike Hampton, Sy Snootles by Jeremy R Scott
Darth Vader by Chris West, Obi-Wan by Robert Teranishi.

Ewok by Little House, Darth Nihilus by David Green, ??? by Sian Mandrake
Gold 508, Gold 356, Gold 568
Gold 616.

Case 2:

Obi-Wan by Ashleigh Popplewell, Padme by Angelina Benedetti, Storm Trooper by Denae Frazier
Leia by Lee Lightfoot, Asajj Ventress by Rhiannon Owens, Padme by Jen Mercer
Obi-Wan (Puzzle Panel??) by Charles Hall(?) back of card below

Snowtrooper by B Gallo, Imperial Guard by Jamie Snell, Imperial Guard by Matt (Hobb??)
??? by Rich Molinelli, Leia by Sarah Wilkinson, Bib Fortuna by Nicole Falk
Gold 390, Gold 520, Wampa by (???) Can't quite place the sig.

Chris Parsons, Yellow Plate #471 Mos Eisley
Black Plate #666 Jabba's Palace

Daniel Logan, Tim Rose
Ralph Brown

Also got 12 medallions total:
MD-3 HAN SOLO
MD-4 CHEWBACCA
MD-10 BAIL ORGANA
MD-12 GENERAL VEERS
MD-17 DARTH MAUL
MD-20 OBI-WAN KENOBI OLD
MD-22 TIE FIGHTER PILOT
MD-23 DARTH VADER
MD-24 STORMTROOPER
MD-25 OBI-WAN KENOBI YOUNG
MD-26 PLO KOON
MD-28 QUI-GON JINN

I got this cool Blue #1 Cover Card Parallel numbered 350/350, which is nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 55 | Location: North Wales | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Pretty awesome Case #1, floater!

I wonder why they numbered the title card #1 instead of #700 which it should have been since there is no card #700 in the series II base set and there was already a card #1 in series 1.\

The Colley autograph is the identical photo and nearly the same design as the one that was just issued in Jedi Legacy. They need to try a little harder with the repeat signers to at least use different pictures.

There are 3 alternate image cards in the base set again this time, one of Luke, one of Leia, and one of Han.

Based on the two case break above, it seems cases may have 14 sketches. I wonder if that means every 6th box has two sketches through the entire run. That would be fine since...

...here's one found by our friend Tom Breyer that just kind of makes you scratch your head. Why would the "artist" draw this, and how could Topps not reject it instantly? I am ordinarily pretty positive where Topps is concerned, but shame on them for this, and I hope the artist (purposely unnamed here) gets a paper cut from the dollar bill (or whatever rate he was paid) for this junk:

I have a couple of boxes coming and will post results soon.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares about leaving the artists name out of it? The artist obviously has ZERO respect for ANY person who collects or breaks so why should I have any respect for them. JP Wales and Sawyer should be absolutely ashamed of themselves, so should Zach Giallongo. The garbage they put out for this particular release is despicable.

Not saying they aren't qualified artists and don't do solid work outside of this, but what they did for this is a JOKE.

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, at least it's in pencil. Every card like this should be thoroughly erased with art gum eraser immediately.

The card is far more collectible blank than with this on it, the full color reverse and a nice, clean front is preferable. That's it, I've said enough. Back to breaks...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I actually like most of the sketches shown, but Topps has got to weed out those really horrible pieces of junk. When are they going to understand that it scares people from going in big on a product if there is the possibility that you can find one of those as a premium hit in your box. Shake Head

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I ordered 6 boxes AFTER seeing that sketch, so it can't have bothered me too much. Maybe it's a from a puzzle and I'll get the other piece or pieces! Five pieces of the "Minimalist Hoth Battle" puzzle and a Pence would be fine!

The pack odds show 13,700 hobby boxes this time, so I've got at least a half dozen of those coming. I just couldn't say no. I liked the first set a lot.

I'm hoping for one of the big autographs, of course. They are fantastic looking again this time, nice design and photographs. The medallions look good, I'd say an upgrade on the patch cards.
(I got a Justin Verlander Proven Mettle Bronze medallion card in 2013 Topps Baseball earlier this year, and it looked sharp. They had similar piece of heavy metal embedded cards in their 2012 Olympic set and those were well made. Whatever company produces these kinds of cards for Topps does a good job.)

Break soon, hopefully middle of next week, I'm on the West Coast card delay!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wampa by (???) Can't quite place the sig.

The artist is Mary Bellamy.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lizzy:
quote:
Wampa by (???) Can't quite place the sig.

The artist is Mary Bellamy.

that Wampa is kinda cute Smile

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If I was being paid a dollar to do a sketch that is all you would have got. The fault lies with Topps and not the artist. They should pay the artists a proper rate and only put good quality sketches in their product.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
If I was being paid a dollar to do a sketch that is all you would have got. The fault lies with Topps and not the artist. They should pay the artists a proper rate and only put good quality sketches in their product.

Artists should take SOME pride in their work! If you don't like the pay, don't take the job.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
That of course is very true also. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, it really came to my attention based on the Ebay title description that was pointing out this was the sketch from a $100 dollar box of cards. The thing is, a big part of why these boxes cost $100 is the very presence of the sketch card, in this case that sad joke, so there is no question about it, this sketch should not have been drawn, and Topps should not have accepted it. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Tom Breyer in addition to being the seller burned by finding this junk in a such an expensive box must be shaking his head additionally as a manufacturer. I mean, think about it, can you imagine the quality of the sketches Tom would insist upon were he to offer them in a box of cards with the Breygent name on it that retailed at $100?

Granted, he would pay the artists more in the first place, but those artists who regularly work with Tom already know 10 seconds of twitching your hand over paper while holding a pencil might as well not even be turned in, and that's precisely why they keep working with Tom. It's is time for the one sketch per box idea to simply go away if this awfulness is the result of making that guarantee. Better the sketches are found one or two per case and of some quality, than one per box with half or more of those in each case being absolute garbage that deface an otherwise beautiful blank card.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Well, it really came to my attention based on the Ebay title description that was pointing out this was the sketch from a $100 dollar box of cards. The thing is, a big part of why these boxes cost $100 is the very presence of the sketch card, in this case that sad joke, so there is no question about it, this sketch should not have been drawn, and Topps should not have accepted it. There is plenty of blame to go around.

I'm glad you've seen the light. Big Grin However I don't believe these boxes cost $100 because of the presence of a sketch. If that were true how can other manufacturers afford Vampirella, Bettie Paige, Marvel, just to name a couple? And what about that host of niche sketch card only products from small companies that use standing groups of artists? Some of those products came out in premium packs or premium boxes that cost only $35 - $45 and the average sketch was still really good.

It is the cost of the Star Wars license, plus the presence of very limited star autographs, that pushes up the price. Topps may be trying to make it up by skimping on artists' pay, but that isn't the answer if putting in junk efforts to make the quoto is the result.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Tom jr broke these cases

Tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Star Wars Galactic Files Series 2

Really liking those Royal Guard sketches Smile

Posts: 35 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: April 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Here are my results, really kinda blah on the sketches this go around...

I did manage to get 4 golds

and a couple of good red/blue foils

Two plates in one pack...

and the rest

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I kinda like your top row of sketches. I always have had a fondness for those little droids since they showed up in 1997. The Upper Leia is cool.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like the last Jedi one, although I don't think its a very good likeness. I can't figure out why the Han Solo looks like something got spilled on it. Confused

Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
floater - Your Sian Mandrake character is Nute Gunray.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought for a second Tom pulled a sketch of Gypsy from Mystery Science Theatre 3000 then I realized this is a Star Wars set. Big Grin
Seriously though I pulled a Sketch almost as bad. Luckily 1 of my boxes had 2 nice color sketches to make up for it. Will post pics once I remember how to upload pics.

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post