Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Larry Elmore: New Beginnings Collector Art (Tintagel Media)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry Elmore: New Beginnings Collector Art (Tintagel Media)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted
I just finished opening by box.
Cards are awesome. Thumb Up
Made of a heavier card stock with great images.

The packs are different. The packs have a sticker on the back with what cards numbers to be found in the pack. So the first pack had cards 1-9, second had cards 10-18,.....

I got:
3 complete basic sets

1 Larry Elmore Auto card

and 2 of the auto'ed prize redemption cards for a limited edition print Clap Dance

The set was worth the wait in my eyes.

Keep up the great work Tintagel Media Thumb Up

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of....inevitability."

[This message was edited by xSaBx on November 12, 2003 at 11:34 AM.]

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The packs tell you what numbers are in them? Did any give a hint the auto was inthem?

This is something nobody has ever done before.

Congrats on the redemption cards!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
Ya, the packs let you know just what regular cards are in the pack. You also do not get any extra commons which is nice. Smile
Nope there is no markings on the packs to hint of the one with an auto inside. Just that the box said 1 per box.

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Hmm, so would the packs with the auto and prize redemption cards be a bit thicker or would the sticker have 1 less common number on it? Or do they use a filler card for all the packs without an auto or redemption? That is a bizzarre innovation having the numbers of which base cards are in the packs but there has been more than 1 occasion I would have loved it when I'd needed the same 1 or 2 cards to finish 3 or 4 base sets.

Homer Simpson:
Bart, a woman is like a beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
No way to know which pack has the auto or redemption card in it. All the packs have 10 cards - 9 are the normal cards and one is a redemption/entry form to win a original Elmore Painting.
If the redemption/entry form has Mr. Elmore's autograph you win one of the limited prints.
The auto card is not a special insert but just a normal card signed. So you won't be short a card but I guess in theory you would need one without the auto to make a basic normal set.
The downside is that if you get a normal card from this set signed on your own there is no way to know the difference unless Mr. Elmore will not sign any of these cards or only certain card numbers were signed. Either way this might cause some issues.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fine set. And pack buyers could go through and basically pick out a base set? Not an all bad idea really, but might be frustrating if the last few packs in a box could not possibly create a set. However, the lure of the specials should make them go as well.

Do we know the odds on the signed redemptions for the prints? Seems odd (but great for you) to get 2 in the same box unless they are fairly common. Make sure you request the card back (voided of course) when you redeem them.

Theoretically, a completionist could then complete an entire base set with autographed cards... Wow, that ought to drive some folks just plain crazy.

I agree on the authenticity issues. Sounds like a perfect place for an embossing machine for future issues.

Must find a box of two of these...

Ed

I am Scifi... Cards.

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
I think the reasoning for the numbered packs are because the cards can be used with the d20 roleplaying system. There are doubles of the same picture front but different info and numbers on the back as well as the web address to get stats. The reason looks to be one card will explain about the fighter, wizard, etc and the other card will explain the weapon they carry, magic they use, etc. I have not checked any of the on-line stats yet.

The one thing missing is a checklist. Frown

On the redemption/entry form cards all ten are different. 1 for each pack. Each card lists the 9 cards in the pack so I guess you can say they also double as a checklist of sorts.
The box states odds 1 in 30 for an auto card, 1 in 300 for a Limited Edition Print and 1 in 10,500 for a Original Painting. So with that said did I get lucky maybe.
What I mean is if there is 10 different redemption/entry cards and if 300 of each are a signed one than 3000 could be out there. The two that I got are redemption card 2/10 and 4/10 which helps my theory?.

I still think the cards are GREAT. Big Grin Surf

[This message was edited by Brimaster on November 06, 2003 at 07:49 AM.]

Manufacturer
Picture of Robin
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you like the cards.

1.) Printed on 24pt stock.
2.) UV coated, so they'll last.
3.) Larry called me from the printer in Tennessee pissed off because his signing arm was numb! He will certainly vouch for the authenticity!!
4.) Statistically, brimaster is correct - 1 in 30 for an auto card, 1 in 300 for a Limited Edition Print and 1 in 10,500 for a Original Painting. However, some sets might have additional signatures because we randomized certain parts of the signing process. Sounds like brimaster beat the odds! Those signatures aren't very common... It is surprising how many people don't send in their redemption cards and, because of this, the odds will likely be greatly enhanced in your favor if you return the redemption cards.
5.) Where would you like me to post a checklist? We put an index card with each set with a list of the cards in that set, but perhaps a complete listing of all 90 cards could be posted on the Tintagel website. Let me know specifically what you want.
6.) I have yet to figure out a way to return redemption cards. I suppose that a SASE would be necessary, but the mechanics of returning those cards are overwhelming. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Be well,

Robin

To e-mail me, remove the _NO_SPAM_ from the address. Thx.

Posts: 11 | Location: Los Angeles, CA, usa | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
So the cards had a full image on the front and the game type text was on the back?
Want to trade for one of your extra sets? My have list is up in the trade section I think with the heading wanted Buffy singles.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
Picture of Robin
posted Hide Post
There is one Elmore: New Beginnings display pack out there in which every single card is signed by Larry. Also, during the signing, we did a lot of random card signings as well, which would explain why brimaster got a couple of extra signed cards in his order. Thx for listening.

'till next time... Robin

To e-mail me, remove the _NO_SPAM_ from the address. Thx.

Posts: 11 | Location: Los Angeles, CA, usa | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
Okay, this thread has been moved from the General Card Discussion area to allow people to post new breakdowns, and it's title has been amended to reflect the new posting conventions.

Thank you for your understanding, and we return you to your reguarly scheduled thread... Big Grin

--
xSaBx :: Mistress of Stuff ::

'I swear I am completely unimpressed by clever answers'
REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post