Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Island of Dr. Moreau: The Art of H.G. Wells (Monsterwax)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Island of Dr. Moreau: The Art of H.G. Wells (Monsterwax)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted
You know it's a good sign for a new card set when you get a box and even the box itself is cool! That's certainly the case with Moreau.
Great graphics and an extra box card to cut out on the bottom, which is the same as the box graphic.
Island of Dr. Moreau fits in the middle of the "Art of" series along with The Time Machine and War of the Worlds.
I made 5 base sets of cards #d 28 - 63 in the series, plus a numbered checklist for each.
1 Background card - a Wells biography
1 Redemption card for an Old Time Radio broadcast and interview
1 Redemption card for the movie DVD
1 Redemption card with a chance of obtaining original art from the set. Mine was for a storyboard image done by Kurt Kursteiner.
There are others which will net original card art from Ricardo Garijo
1 sketch card
1 actual metal printing plates from one of the set cards. This was a very cool addition.
There were also 2 promos for the Monsterwax "Don't Let it Happen Here" set which was previously released.

The story told is a really good strong piece of work from Wells. The art is very nice with some real stand-out images.
All in all, another great set from Monsterwax!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Lots of redemption cards. Sounds like a great set!

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for these one to??/

Posts: 569 | Location: Killeen, Tx, USA | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Guess what came today? I had been waiting for so long I actually forgot about these.

So Larry, there is hope...

First off, the big wait was for the boxes - the boxes are really nice,with a picture not shown on the cards on the cover, and it is repeated on the box bottom as a cut out card, a nice touch. However, since the cards were delayed due to the boxes, I think a simple white box would have been just as good, and I imagine few of these cards will be sold by the pack in stores, most will be bought as sets or by the box.

The wrappers are all hand folded and taped, and it is possible to open the pack and close it without tearing, so you can put extras in it and have a full pack.

The base set consists of 36 cards and a hand numbered checklist. Kurt must have kept a record of who got what numbers with War of the Worlds, since all my set's numbers match. The images on the cards are beautifully painted, although DrMoreau has some disturbing images. Garijo did a fine job on these. I haven't read the backs yet but I expect the story to be true to H G Well's book.
I got 5 full sets, plus 25 extras

Inserts:
1 Biography card of H G Wells
1 Original art card - to be redeemed for one of 120 storyboard sketches by Kurt Kuersteiner
1 Dr Moreau DVD Prize card - for a copy of the 1933 film
1 Movie adaption Prize card - a radio adaption of the 1953 film War of the Worlds
1 Sketch/Auto card - signed on one side by Garijo, and a sketch on the other, i got a head shot of a "pig man" in B & w ink
1 Monsterwax Metal Card - Looks like the Yellow plate for card 36. This is my first ever print plate, and this set is the only one to guarantee one per box.

Overall, a nice set, and the effort Kurt put into these should not go un-noticed.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This one came in with my Time Machine box.

I got 5 complete sets and the same inserts as Mike-Fitz.

I also got Printing plate for card #28.

Posts: 569 | Location: Killeen, Tx, USA | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to trade a base set? Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Cardz_house
posted Hide Post
My box also arrived and I got the same inserts as Don. Only difference is that my sketch card is that of a panther man (I think). I got 4 base sets with numbered checklist up for trade if anyone interested.

Here's some pics which I took with my mobile.

Some of my traders: Star*Mystyk, davelennox, Jack London, Chris Byrne, TAT, spidergoblin, Brimaster, cverdec, mac13, mars53, Ryan Cracknell, wuher, angelchick182, FRANK AMICO, batmancity, Card Reaper, Over_Worked_Mom, Dewman, THX2112, venom5liter, batmancity, barobehere, KADRAN00157, browninga5m, trade-a-card, FCB, wolfie, ghostrider666, Brian A. Davis, s8zaphod, Cee_Jay

Posts: 1451 | Location: Singapore | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post