Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    John Wayne (Breygent)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wayne (Breygent)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Breygent Marketing, 2005. Single box for me: 40 packs of 6 cards.

Some traditionalists might complain that some of the photos are colorized. But the production values are stellar, and the base cards have a "premium" feel, somewhere between matte and glossy.

Collation was excellent. Average would be 3.29 base sets per box if collation were perfect.

Base cards: 2 complete 72-card sets, 6 short of 3rd set.
1 of 9 Hero's Hats die-cut (1:box): HH2
1 of 12 Leading Roles holofoil (1:box): LR-7
0/6 Costume cards C1-C6 (1:80 packs)
1 Sketch Art card (1:80 packs): B&W sketch by Chris Henderson
0 of 4 Favorite Hobbies (1:160 packs, FH1-FH4)

Note that the "low-end" chase cards are all fairly scarce.

Here's what I know about the rest of the distribution.

Sketch cards are various designs, all done by Chris Henderson or Cynthia Cummens. Henderson produced color sketches for the 2-case and 6-case incentives and a "Repro Art Sketch Card Set" for the binder. Binder offer is printed on the box and the wrappers.

There's a "bonus box-bottom card" printed on the box, no perforations. I don't know if there were various designs.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
So at least 12 boxes to get the "low-end" chase cards (and then not that many)

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
cool that you pulled a sketch,any chance of a scan please.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spidergoblin:
cool that you pulled a sketch,any chance of a scan please.

Here is is, Pilgrim ...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
weelll thank ya pardner....very nice looking sketch,congrats.

"nuff said"

Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Great looking sketch. Congratters. Clap

What are you going to do with your extra base set please. Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my box today. I have to admit I was really excited about this set, I've been a Wayne fan for many years.

Got 2 complete sets

1 set missing 14 cards and 40 extras

1 Costume Card C2 - John Wayne's vest

1 Leading Roles LR4

1 Heroes hats HH6

0 Hobbies

0 Sketch

I was really looking forward to a sketch, however, I am pleased to have the costume card. There is a photo on the back of the card of the vest before it was cut up. As mentiond above by Jeff, the cards have a nice satin look and feel to them. I wish Breygent would reconsider the inserts in future sets, it will be very hard to complete the subsets.

The box has a card on the bottom as mentioned. Since my box was damaged in one corner, I think I'll cut it out of the box and add it to my set.

A great start from the Breygent folks.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
1 Costume Card C2 - John Wayne's vest
I was really looking forward to a sketch, however, I am pleased to have the costume card.

While I know the sketch cards are cool, just how cool is it to have an actual costume piece from John Wayne?

If I pull a sketch from my box Don, I just might have to offer you a swap! Big Grin

I too wish they would make just one of the chase sets a tad easier to complete.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I want everything for this set except the costumes and the sketches.

Each to his own eh. Smile

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I guess I wasn't really complaining - I am happy to have a piece of John Wayne's vest. I had seen a couple of the sketches beforehand, and pretty much expected to find one. I liked Cynthia's drawing, which i had seen at the Chicago show, but now I really want one of the Green Beret sketches.
I'll hold on to my costume card, and if I see packs of these anywhere, I'll get some.

I've started reading the text on the backs and it's very well done.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Love this set!!!

Bought two boxes and pulled two costume cards (one shirt and one sweater) and got two Favorite Hobbies cards. (number 3 and 4) Bouncey If my math is correct there is less than 200 of these sets.

Overall I like it better than the stooges set.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My box revealed similar breakdown to Don's although I managed to damage one of the cards making up the second set. My costume card was C5 being a swatch from one of his sweaters.

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of watchers of watchers
posted Hide Post
Got my box today havent done the sets yet but I got
LR 11 Rooster Cogburn
HH5 Heros Hats
and a nice Chris Henderson Sketch of a full face Duke done in Pencil
I am HAppy with these A long overdue set THANKS TO Breygent and PAtrick WAyne!!!!

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Got 2 base sets..Gonna check later to see how far off a 3rd set I am.
Leading Roles #LR12-The Shootist
Heroe's Hats #HH2
Sketch card-

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
very nice sketch H.I.M. Thumb Up

"nuff said"

Alice Cooper

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
Thjese are a nice looking set. I wonder if these will turn up in any number in the UK or not ?

From what I can gather you either get a sketch or a swatch card, certainly either is nice but I think I would hedge towards favouring the swatch card.

Any chance of some scans of these, anyone ?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
Hi all, finally bought a box of these (Scans Below) at the card show today and it was a great box.

Here is the breakdown:

Heroes Hats #HH2 (top right in scan)

Leading Roles #LR 2 (top left in scan)

Favorite Hobbies # FH 1 (really nice looking card) (bottom right in scan)

and a great costume card

#C2 Worn Vest piece (navy blue, looks like the lining of the vest in the photo on the back of the card. (bottom left in scan)

Was glad to get the costume as opposed to the sketch. Nothing at all against the sketches, they look great, but really wanted an actual costume piece as I am a big fan of the Duke. Our airport here in Orange County, California is actually named John Wayne Airport (he lived in Orange County part time.). Very nice cards, beautifully done. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack London,

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cards you pulled JL Thumb Up
I like the LR2 insert the best,well not including the costume card.

"nuff said"

Alice Cooper

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
Thanks Spider, the base cards and inserts look really nice in this set. The Hobbies inserts are a canvassy card stock and I was lucky to pull one. Since the inserts are so tough to find, I won't be trying for a complete set, but am thrilled with the costume card. Might try to buy a few sketches or costumes, but the other inserts will have to wait. Smile

PS Have a happy New Year, Spider!

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jack. Thumb Up

If you got a spare base set i,m your man for a trade. Smile