Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Urban Legends/Shock Stories (Monsterwax-2009)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Urban Legends/Shock Stories (Monsterwax-2009)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Kurt, you done good! This set will keep me up late for several nights reading the stories on the card backs. Boxes are 36 packs of 5 cards + 1 parallel card: 18 with base cards from the "Urban Legends" set of 50 plus checklist, and 18 with base cards from the "Shock Stories" set of 50 plus checklist. The parallel cards are 3-D versions of the 51-card Urban Legends set. Expect 1 complete master base set of 102 cards per box, plus 0.71 of a set worth of doubles.

See the article in NSU for a better description of the set and its development. Here's my impressions. The artwork by Terry Beatty is delightful and perfectly complements the "old-time pulp" flavor of the two series. The text is essentially a short story (SS) or essay (UL) with the sorts of twists you would expect.

Each box has a set of 3-D glasses inside the plastic wrap. Box bottoms feature an uncut "Box Art Card" which is the image from the box top and Shock Stories wrapper without the lettering. Inside the box is a free ticket to Monsterwax' own "Terror of Tallahassee" haunted house, open every Halloween season. Collation is good, but I was 1 card short of the full set of parallels Monsterwax planned to provide from 2 boxes. I was also tantalizingly 1 card short of a complete third base set. Each box contains either a Prize Card or a "tribute card" with embossed artwork by Joe Riley, who contributed great art to ongoing projects but sadly passed away in 2007. (Joe also aided in the 3-D conversions of the Shock Stories cards.) The front of the Prize Card features embossed art by Kevin Graham. Potential prizes (by mail-in) include 1/100 uncut sheets; a 1-year subscription to The Wrapper; Monsterwax.com gift certificates; 1/102 original thumbnail "storyboard" art sketches by Kurt Kuersteiner; or 1/50 original artboard illustrations by Terry Beatty used in production of the series.

BOX 97/1000

Urban Legends base cards (1-50 + C1): 1 complete set, 37 doubles.
Shock Stories base cards (1-50 + C2): 1 complete set, 36 doubles.
Background Cards (3; 1:12 packs): 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3
Autograph Sketch Cards (1; 1:36 packs): A1 "The Blindman's Message" by Terry Beatty
Prize or Tribute Card (2, 5 prizes; 1:36 packs): Prize: One-year subscription to The Wrapper
Shock Stories parallel 3-D cards (51; 1-per-pack): 36 different
3-D Glasses (3 designs; 1-per-box): G1 (spiders and skulls)
Metal Card printing plate (1:72 packs): none
Box Art Card (box bottom): yes
Terror of Tallahassee admission ticket: yes

BOX 96/1000

Urban Legends base cards (1-50 + C1): 1 complete set, 36 doubles.
Shock Stories base cards (1-50 + C2): 1 complete set, 36 doubles.
Background Cards (3; 1:12 packs): 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3
Autograph Sketch Cards (1; 1:36 packs): A2 "The Old Man and the Furnace" by Terry Beatty
Prize or Tribute Card (2, 5 prizes; 1:36 packs): Tribute to Joe Riley, Master Checklist, Credits
Shock Stories parallel 3-D cards (51; 1-per-pack): 36 different
3-D Glasses (3 designs; 1-per-box): G2 (skulls and skulls)
Metal Card printing plate (1:72 packs): cyan from Shock Stories #8
Box Art Card (box bottom): yes
Terror of Tallahassee admission ticket: yes

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Cool looking cards....likes the head in fridge card Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you like my head in the fridge Smile It's me looking in at my self in fridge. I also designed all 3 3D glasses and colored all 3D cards. Smile Oh also it's me in the ad for the set in Non-Sport Update.

Kevin

Posts: 30 | Location: PA | Registered: September 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Art:
Glad you like my head in the fridge Smile It's me looking in at my self in fridge.
Kevin

Yeah,no late munchies Big Grin

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
This look like such a cool set I keep meaning to order a couple of boxes and then never quite getting around to it! I will do soon though. Those pics look great!

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Glad you got 'em and liked 'em Jeff. We went full throttle on this series. All of July's and most of the orders from August have been shipped. It has been a full time job for the last three weeks! We plan to be completely caught up this upcoming week getting all current orders shipped.

Two boxes are supposed to provide a complete set of the parallel 3D cards and therefore, a master set of everything. (We went though great efforts to insure it!) But I guess you were "lucky" and found a box that didn't. Well, email the the number of the one you're missing and I'll get it to you. (The 3D cards don't have numbers, but since they parallel the Shock Stories base set, just use that checklist for the titles/numbers.) While I'm at it, let me know the missing base card too (I might as well get my full USPS stamp's worth.)

Our standard policy is that we gladly trade out any duplicate base cards that folks send in, as long as we still have the ones they need in stock (which we do for newer sets). For this series, we offer the same service for the 3D cards as well. (We want people to finish their sets!)

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
The latest update: All orders received before 9.9.9 have been shipped-- so we're currently caught up. If you're in the USA, expect to get them by early next week. If overseas, add another week or two. Enjoy!

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeahhhhh that means my box is coming soon

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am soo bummed the tacking said i would get it saturday and then it never can and the tracking said it was missdelivered stupid post office : (((

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i got my box a few days ago i just never got a chance to get back here and the delay was the post offices falt i was super pleased with my box when i get some more money i would like to buy another one scans to come

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
did this release sell out yet?
I'd like an Urban Legends sketch.

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
No, we are not sold out yet, but no sooner did we get caught up with previous orders than we got swamped with new ones again. But I'm not complaining. Too much is always better than not enough and Halloween is the optimum market time.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my box Thursday - but I had to read all the backs before I posted here - wow! what a set!
Kurt, you always come through with a great product, I know this one has been in the works for a while, it must have been 4 years ago we had the Shock Stories promos in NSU. Thanks for carrying this one off, lots of fun, scary, disgusting, amazing, and horrible reading, and Terry did a great job on the art. Reading these cards are like reading old EC comics like Tales from the Crypt.

In my box 144/1000 I found:
1 set of 50 Shock stories cards, plus 36 extras
1 set of 50 Urban Legends cards, plus 36 extras
2 checklists, one for each set.
1 master checklist (The head in the refrigerator)
36 3D cards from Shock Stories
3 Background cards
1 3D glasses G1
1 sketch Sticky Fingers from Shock Stories
1 printer plate,Urban Legends card 26, red

Hope everyone enjoys this one, well worth the $.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post