Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Dawn 20th Anniversary (Dynamic Forces)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dawn 20th Anniversary (Dynamic Forces)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted
Not just a myth! They exsist! And I'll post my scans and thoughts in just a few moments!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I never thought I'd be the 1st to post a box breakdown on here! lol But I received my 1st 4 boxes today and ripped em open!

The boxes are very nice, the wrappers open very easily. The base cards are a little on the thin side but this has been customary of most DF products so I wasn't surprised.

1st box:
2 holofoil puzzle cards
2 holofoil cards
Auto #10 - Scarlet Death #37/49 MP
Auto #9 - Red Sash Dawn #39/49 MP
Friends of Dawn (FOD) Sketch by Mark Pennington #397/553

2nd Box:
2 holofoil puzzle cards
2 holofoil cards
Auto #5 Material Girl Dawn #290/335
Auto #6 Heart of Glass #43/39 AP
FOD Sketch by ??? #2/199 (very nice sketch!)

3rd Box:
2 holofoil puzzle cards
2 holofoil cards
Auto #7 Horned Goddess #300/333
Auto #8 Dawn & Death #45/49 MP
Hand Colored Card #6 Faerie Queen Dawn by Eva Hopkins #9/15 Clap

4th Box:
2 holofoil puzzle cards -- 1 damaged on the front where the foil is peeling off
2 holofoil cards
Auto #4 Orchid Dawn #28/335

Everything was groovy and beautiful until box #4 Frown only 1 auto and no sketch/color card AND a damaged foil card. Flashbacks of Red Sonja Back 2 Basics came to mind but hopefully it's an isolated box.

The Autos are beautiful like past Dawn sets but there's obviously AT LEAST 3 kinds of numbering for them. regular, MP & AP. Hopefully someone will have more info on this cause it doesn't make sense that the 2 short numbered auto sets would be numbered to the same edition (49).

The Hand colored card is awesome and I was very happy to get it.

If someone knows who did the 2nd sketch I pulled please pass the info along. It's a great very subtle sketch but it's not signed lol. The Mark Pennington sketch looks like..... well a Pennington sketch I guess (not a favorite of mine, sorry).

OK here's the scans of everything! Who's next!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I picked up a box today from Ed at the Chicago show. Here's what I got:

1 set 72 base cards, 65 extras
2 Puzzle cards
2 Foil cards (5 and 6 of 9)
2 Linsner autographs
Orchid Dawn 200/335
Hoof and Horn 198/335
1 Friends of Dawn sketch
Dawn by Joe Rubenstein 96/399

A beautiful set, base cards alone are worth going after, the foils are okay, a little dark, and will be hard to find.You only get 2 of each of the 9 card foil sets, so good luck on your 4 1/2 boxes to complete these.

The sketch is very nicely done - sorry no scanner here. It is done in color, and I looked at the Rubenstein sketches on the other post to see if mine was in there, and actually, mine looks better than the ones shown. I was really surprised to find the sketch and one of the autos in one pack.

Overall a beautiful set - hope you all like it as much as I do.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say in my 1st post, but yes the base set is beautiful and a great addition to past Dawn cards I agree.

Grats on the JR sketch!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
While I have yet to sort the base cards (which are stunning), here is the hit breakdown from my 3 boxes, also bought from Ed at the CECE.

Box 1
2 foil
2 puzzle
1 auto Red Wings of Dawn 43/49 MP
1 Hand Colored Sketch (Strike a Pose) by Eva Hopkins 8/20

Box 2
2 foil
2 puzzle
2 autos Horned Goddess 124/333 and Material Girl Dawn 120/333

Box 3
2 foil
2 puzzle
2 autos Orchid Dawn 218/335 and Heart of Glass 115/335

So it appears that I fell short of odds with 1 box with only 1 auto and no Friends of Dawn sketches from 3 boxes.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Just to update, I was able to complete 5 sets from the 3 boxes. In addition, Nick at DA is getting me taken care of for the short hits on the boxes.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Got 2 more boxes for Christmas! Smile Santa knows I love my Dawn art lol

Box #1
2 holofoils
2 puzzle foils
1 auto #4
1 FOD Sketch by Mark Pennington

Box #2
2 holofoils
2 puzzle foils
1 auto #7

Nick is going to rectify the auto shortage (for my other box from the 1st post too if I'm lucky). Thanks Nick!

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
One box

One base set
Puzzle cards- 2
Holofoils- 3 of 9, 4 of 9
Auto- Scarlet Death, Design 10, #134/334
One hand colored card Eva Hopkins 50/55

Nice set but base cards kind of thin. Didn't get as many hits as everyone else but that's my luck. Roll Eyes

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Grats on the colored card! I think those are going to be harder pulls than the sketches. A set of them is going to be VERY hard to put together in my opinion. I mean sketches are less than 1 per box. And the hand colored cards are less than 1 per maybe 4 boxes?

Wish we had better info/odds on the higher end chase cards (including autos) and the AP/MP stuff.

Picture of alfster
posted Hide Post
Well after 4 months finally got a new scanner as the old one wouldn't work on Vista but now since I have 7 I'm back in the scanning grove. Got two boxes one box only had 1 auto plus inserts the other had 2 autos and one sketch. I'll just postthe auto and the sketch I got

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alfster,

For without Blood there is no Power.
Where is my Power?.
My Power is with the Blood of Souls,
Flowing like a river into my veins giving me my Power.
I will not lose my Power until my Soul looses me.

A.S.

Posts: 167 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Actually, you do not have a sketch...you also have a hand colored card by Eva Hopkins.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I cracked a case, and I have to say I was more than a little displeased with the collation.

I was expecting a lot more in the way of sketch cards in a case. I got three, and to ice the cake they were sequential and the exact same design! Gahhh!

I pulled two sets of holos, and two sets of puzzle cards, plus a set of Auto's made up from the various MP, AP, and regular numbered cards.

I have to say I think I would have been better off piecing it together from ebay, rather than getting a case.

Posts: 4 | Location: US | Registered: January 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMB:
I cracked a case, and I have to say I was more than a little displeased with the collation.

I was expecting a lot more in the way of sketch cards in a case. I got three, and to ice the cake they were sequential and the exact same design! Gahhh!

Hi KMB,

I'm really sorry to see that you received 3 sketches in a row that are exactly the same. If you mail them in to my attention, Nick, we'll send you 2 hand drawn sketches as well as the puzzle set with all of the puzzle cards autographed by Joseph Michael Linser.

I pulled two sets of holos, and two sets of puzzle cards, plus a set of Auto's made up from the various MP, AP, and regular numbered cards.

I have to say I think I would have been better off piecing it together from ebay, rather than getting a case.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: November 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
That's a great offer you made to KMB! This type of customer service is something that can make an impact on the perception of DF. It builds confidence in us collectors that if something odd happens it will be taken care of. It's good to see. Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickybdf:
Hi KMB,

I'm really sorry to see that you received 3 sketches in a row that are exactly the same. If you mail them in to my attention, Nick, we'll send you 2 hand drawn sketches as well as the puzzle set with all of the puzzle cards autographed by Joseph Michael Linser.
[/QUOTE]

I really appreciate that Nick! I sent them off in the mail to the DF offices. Thanks again!

Posts: 4 | Location: US | Registered: January 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
My case break...

Box 1
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 4,5
2 Autos 1,2

Box 2
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
3 Chrome Cards 3.8.9
2 Autos 4.6
1 Friend of Dawn Sketch, Pennington

Box 3
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 3.4
1 Auto 8
That's it, one auto in that box. Shake Head

Box 4
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 1.9
2 Autos 2.3

Box 5
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 2.3
2 Auto 4.6
1 Friend of Dawn Sketch, Pennington

Box 6
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 6.7
2 Auto 7.8
1 Colored Card 5 of 6 Drool

Box 7
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 2.3
1 Auto 10
Yep, another 1 hit box. Roll Eyes

Box 8
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 6.7
1 Auto 3
1 Colored Card 1 of 6 Bouncey

Box 9
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 1.2
2 Autos 5.7

Box 10
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 7.8
1 Auto 1
Another 1 hit wonder. Confused

Box 11
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 5.6
2 Autos 5.6
1 Colored Card 6 of 6 Luv You
1 Friends of Dawn Sketch, Pennington

Box 12
1 Base Set
2 Foil Puzzle Pieces
2 Chrome Cards 4.5
1 Auto 5
Yet another 1 hit wonder... Twak

Overall impressions...

Believe it or not, I'm still happy with my case. If I was just breaking this one to re-sell then maybe not so much, but I got 3 nice colored cards, a sketch, and the collation on the chase was very good.

Now, if I were a single box buyer, this case had some real dogs that would not have been fun at all to open. 1 hit boxes are no fun if that is all you can afford.

DF has to do something to randomize the sketches. 3 identical and nearly sequential sketches in a 12 box case is wrong. And since there's one above me, it's not a one-off problem.

Love the base set, with lots of new Linsner art. Luv You

I might have to break down and break another, the colored cards are hard to find, and I would HAVE to get a sketch that I didn't have one of already, right?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
3 of the same sketches is poor - perhaps DF will do the same as above! Go for the other Case - YOU WANT TO Smile

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
At least someone got sketch #109 on it's own Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed

Dynamic will honor your request, I'm sure, to send you 2 new sketches to make up for the "dupes" you got. Just contact the intern Nicky who's been posting on the board lately. I'm sure DF meant the sketch cards to be shuffled up a little better. Companies in the new world of collecting surely realize there are a lot of people (like me) who break down cases for their own collection first, and variety is essential within a case as much as it used to be in a box. Sure, I sell off extras to recoup some costs, but for most of the cards I choose to buy, I am very much still a collector first. Only the quantity purchased has changed, not my motivation. Its just that now that I can (sometimes) afford it, a case is just like box used to be when I was younger.

As I told Topps when I received 13 Waterhouse Gandalf in a single case of LOTR Masterpieces II, "I don't expect better sketches, just "different" sketches". That is not an unreasonable request and I'm sure the "new" Dynamic Forces agrees.

They already told the earlier post-er they'd make right in that very similar breakdown with the duplicate sketch desgins. Once DF has sent you the new cards, please do post them as I am anxious to see some cards from some of the other artists in the set. That'll go a long way towards determining if I want to take the chance on boxes or a case, or else just go you know where for a mini master set and a random sketch or two.

And one thing DF sets really do have going for them is they have incredible art by many of the finest artists working in their various sets, wheter it be the base or the chase cards. I can say I've really enjoyed their Red Sonja 35th set. (My sketch set from that are some of my favorite cards, sketches or otherwise).

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow...I would be seriously PO'd about that...I mean screaming bloody murder angry, and while I applaud the costumer service there is absolutely no reason that one case would have three practically identical sketches in it let alone two. I really do hope that this really is an accident, but the fact that this Pennington guy has over 500 sketches in the product is very alarming. I mean how many boxes of this stuff was produced?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Bartowski,

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post