Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Chronicles of The Three Stooges - Series 2 (RRParks Cards, 2014)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronicles of The Three Stooges - Series 2 (RRParks Cards, 2014)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted
Here is my box break (and review) for Chronicles of The Three Stooges Series 2 from R.R.Parks Cards.

Series 2 is an impressive sophomore release from RR Parks cards. The biggest surprise were the Retro cards. Most card companies release “retro” or “vintage” style cards from time to time in sports and non-sports alike. (I confess, I have a good collection of both). It’s one thing to capture the look of a vintage style, it’s another to capture the style, feel and printing techniques to create something that mimics something from another time. So, let’s start there:

1956 Retro inserts:
These cards are incredible!
They are a continuation of the rare 1959 Fleer Three Stooges Trading Cards. These cards faithfully capture the colorized, over-saturated look of the originals. You can see the printing right on top of the bleached matte finished stock! The backs feature a continuation of the original style on the same type of card stock that the 1959 originals were printed on. The numbering picks up right where Fleer left off. It feels more like a true vintage card, and less like replica. Without a doubt, these are my new favorite stooge cards.

There was one Retro card in every pack. (Plus 4 box topper Retro cards) So, my box contained one complete set. These are printed on a high quality vintage type of stock that perfectly replicates the original . The fronts have a matte varnish that allows you to see the differently printed ink layers right on the front of the card. Below is an image of an original 1959 Fleer base card.

1956 Retro Box Topper cards:
Set of 4 Retro cards featuring the later stooges! Connects to the insert set.

Base set (continued from series 1):
The base set has crisp black and white photos on glossy card stock. On the reverse of each card features a list of talent involved, plot synopsis and interesting facts about the short itself.

Stooge Gals Subset (continued from series 1):
Continues the female co-stars of the Stooge shorts. Great quality images with information about which shorts they starred in, as well as what each actress went on to do after working with the Stooges.

Special Artist Portraits Inserts (continued from series 1):
More great artist portraits of Stooges costars, regulars & writers. All drawn by Macarie Claudiu in very fine detail. These are printed on glossy card stock.

Special Artist Illustrations Inserts:
Featuring the art of Elisabetta Stoinich. The “crosshatch” style & the stained backgrounds give these cards a unique look. Printed on glossy stock.

Pain-O-Rama puzzle Inserts:
Three puzzle cards that look great when put together! These are printed on glossy card stock. The images are incredibly crisp and clear.

Retro Holiday Foil inserts:
Using the same colorized style, this Retro set of foil cards shows the Stooges in various holiday activities.

Foil Box Topper card:
The foil box topper card is a classic image of the Stooges along with the law firm they represent.

Cut out Mini-Cards:
Once again, there are mini cards to cut out of the box. I happen to have some sheets made for holding film slides, and they fit in there perfectly!

Posters:
There were posters ( 2 of the same).

OVERALL:
An exceptional second release! Love the Retro cards the most.

Notes:
My box contained 3 complete sets (Base, subsets, portraits, & illustrations). Two puzzle sets. A foil box topper card & 4 Retro box-topper cards.

One box yields a master set.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my box of the 2nd series yesterday. I busted the packs last night. A the while with my wife giving me those looks. The inserts are much better than the first series. I did manage to get a redemption card for a Joe Besser card too. The retro cards are way cool. No I can start trading for the ones I need to finish that set some day. Good stuff.

Posts: 31 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
Glad you like series two, Bunkie! Getting to do the officially, licensed, authorized retro cards -- having been a fan of the 1959 series for ages -- was a 'dream come true'. To be able to continue that classic series was just too fun for me. Naturally, series three continues those retros with the original 1959 numbering sequence... and has another fun subset (the anaglyph 3D Three Stooges cards -- see my facebook page for some 'sneak peeks')... and I think the series three foil 'candid/behind the scenes' puzzle backs will come out pretty cool (always fun to see photos of The Boys when they were KIDS). As always, any fan of Stooges and/or trading cards with ideas of what they'd like to see are strongly encouraged to contact me with their ideas -- I'm the publisher at RRParksCARDS and being a card AND Stooge nerd and fan I want to include anything and everything fans feel would be a good addition to the Chronicles of the Three Stooges series... and series three has well over 200 different cards to collect (with a single retail box containing them all).

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bunkie:
I received my box of the 2nd series yesterday. I busted the packs last night. A the while with my wife giving me those looks. The inserts are much better than the first series. I did manage to get a redemption card for a Joe Besser card too. The retro cards are way cool. No I can start trading for the ones I need to finish that set some day. Good stuff.

Wait a minute... you're MISSING some retro cards to complete a set? That shouldn't be! A series two box contains a COMPLETE set of all the retro cards. If you're missing any please let me know which ones. Although I personally collate much of my product I have some help and while she's great both she and I are 'nto pfercet' and I take full responsibility for everything in every box and every box of series two is guaranteed to contain at least one of every base card, one of every 'Stooge gals', one of every Christmas Foil chase, one of every Macarie portrait art card, one of every Stoinich art card, and a full se of all 40 'retro-stalgic' 1950s style Stooge card. If something went wrong somewhere with collation -- doesn't matter if I bungled or my helper bungled -- I want to make it right!

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad. I did get everything that was suppose to be in the box. I'm really looking forward to the last two series.

Posts: 31 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post