Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, The Complete (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, The Complete (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

posted
My case just arrived and I have busted 6 boxes down. I must say that I am quite pleased with this set. It is obvious that Rittenhouse put alot of effort into making this set. From the huge 189 card base set to the autograph cards, everything is really top-notch.

The first card I saw when I opened the case was the Dual Autograph Case Loader. This card features autographs from the ladies who play Lursa and B'Etor, and it is a really well done card. On the left of the card is a photo of the sisters superimposed over a photo of the worm hole. I would guess that it was done in a horizontal format, because it was a dual autograph card. The rest of the autograph cards are done in the vertical format (didn't get the dual Worf/Dax card Frown) but am sure it is in the horizontal format.

The base set is quite big and RA has stuck to the one photo on the front format that they used for their HIGHLANDER set Smile. The photos appear just a bit dark, but that is probably because of the show being indoors and DS9 had a darker feel than the other Star Trek series.

The first level of insert cards are the ALLIES and ENEMIES set. There are 27 of these with the ALLIES done in blue and the ENEMIES in brown. Again RA has followed the precedent they set with the HIGHLANDER set and it's harder to make a set of these.

The 9 card SHIPS OF THE DOMINION WAR set is the second level of inserts. These are done on silver foil and look very good. The backs of the card contain a small paragraph about each ship.

The 10 card GALLERY set is the third level of inserts. The right side of the card features a cell with a portrait of a main character from the show. The left side of the card features the characters name and photo. My only complaint about these are the the cell is the same photo as the portrait.

The fourth level of inserts are the ALERNATE REALITIES cards. There are 6 of these and they are very nice. The left side of the card features a headshot of the chareacter in their normal state. The right side contains a cell and it features the character in the alternate universe. The backs of the cards contain a paragraph with a short write-up of what happened.

The fifth level of insert cards are the FROM THE ARCHIVE COSTUME CARDS. These are awesome! The left side of the card has a photo of the worm hole and the swatch of material is right in the center of the hole. The right side of the card has a portrait of the character. There are 5 of these with one coming exclusively in the binder.

The final level of chase cards are the AUTOGRAPHS. These are numbered from A1-A26, but there are only 24 autographs. One number wasn't used and for some reason James Darren was left out of the set. There was a small slip of paper that stated his autograph wasn't included in this product. Hopefully we can get some clarification as to what exactly this means at a later date. The cards are done in the vertical format with the characters photo superimposed over the worm hole. All of my signatures were done in blue Sharpie.

I'm sure Star Trek fans will be happy with this release as this is the definitive DS9 set. General collectors should also consider this set as it is very well done and the autograph line-up is first rate.

6 box BREAKDOWN:
Allies and Enemies: 78 total cards, 2 complete sets, Extras: B1(2) B2 B7 B8 B9(2) B10(2) B11(2)
B16 B17(2) B18(2) B19(2) B20(2) B26(2) B27(2)

Ships of the Dominion War: 30 total cards, 2 complete sets, Extras: S1(2) S2(2)S3 S5(2) S6 S8(2) S9

Gallery: 6 total cards, G1(2) G3 G4 G5 G10

Alternate Realities: 4 total cards, AR1 AR4 AR5 (2)

Costumes: 3 total cards, CC2 CC3 CC4

Autographs: 12 total cards, A4(2) A5 A6 A7 A9
A12 A16 A17 A24(2) A26

[This message was edited by xSaBx on November 12, 2003 at 11:51 AM.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 147 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear you liked the set. My box came in today as well, but I don't know for sure when I'll be able to pick it up. I can't wait!

-Bob-

"Future events such as these will affect YOU in the future!"

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of aagranata
posted Hide Post
Bought my box today. The two autos I got were Nana Visitor and Wallace Shawn. Also got the Worf Alternate Realities. A very nice set, but I hope I don't have a difficult time finding all those Enemies and Allies cards! If anyone buys a case and has lots of spares, I need B3,B4,B5,B6,B7,B13,B14,B15,B16,B22,B23,B24,B25,B26

Posts: 822 | Location: Spanaway, WA | Registered: May 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
Here is my case breakdown.

Allies and Enemies: 3 complete sets. Extras- B1 (2), B2 (3), B3 (3), B5 (4), B6 (3), B7 (3), B8 (2), B9 (3), B10 (3), B11 (3), B12 (3), B13 (2), B14 (3), B15 (3), B16 (3), B17 (3), B18 (3), B19 (3), B20 (3), B21 (2), B22 (3), B24 (3), B25 (3), B26 (3), B27 (4)

Ships of the Dominion War: 5 complete sets. Extras- S1, S3 (2), S4 (4), S6 (2), S7 (2), S9 (2)

Gallery: G2 (2), G3, G4, G5, G6, G7, G8, G9 (4), G10 (2)

Alternate Reality: A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A7 (2),

Autos: A3, A4, A5, A6 (2), A7, A8, A9 (2), A10, A11, A12 (2), A16 (2), A17, A19, A20, A21 (2), A22, A23, A26 (2)

Costume Cards: CC1 (2), CC2, CC3 (2), CC4

One thing I notes about the costume cards is that the cards are so thick they will not fit in the 9-card pages . These costume cards will have to be put in snap tight holders.

[This message was edited by Barbara C on July 03, 2003 at 08:52 AM.]

[This message was edited by Barbara C on July 03, 2003 at 11:01 AM.]

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of flobe
posted Hide Post
Wait a moment... Let me see the official ratio of special cards:

Case = 12*40 = 480 Packs

Allies and Enemies 1:3 Packs - Should be 160 - you have 154 - Frown
Ships of the Dominion Cards 1:8 Packs - Should be 60 - you have 58 - Frown
Gallery Cards 1:40 Packs - should be 12 - you have 7 - Mad
Alternate Reality Cards 1:80 Packs - should be 6 - you have 7 - Smile
Autographs 1:20 Packs - should be 24 - you have 23 - Frown
Costume Cards 1:100 Packs - should at least be 4 - you have 6 - Big Grin

I think the only winning part are the costume cards. The autographs are poor, there should be 2 guaranteed in a box and only 5 of them are limited.

Tomorrow or one day later I'll get my case. I hope I will have better ratios... Wink

-----------------------------------------------
My ST Have/Want Lists (German, but for everyone)
http://www.st-cards.de

Posts: 792 | Location: Germany | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
The number of autos was a typo error on my part. I did get the guaranteed number of autos, 2 per box. I have updated my post.

I am happy about the number of costume cards I received. All in all, I think this was a good case.

I had to edit this post because I was sleepy during the first keying. Smile

To flobe: Some of those frown faces can now be smily faces.
To self: watch the typos Twak

[This message was edited by Barbara C on July 03, 2003 at 09:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Barbara C on July 03, 2003 at 11:04 AM.]

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Send me a note to joanna@scifihobby.com regarding your DS9 breakdown. Thanks

Joanna

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
Joanna: I have listed the updated pulls from the case. I'm sorry I alarmed everybody.

The card-pull force is with me.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara C:
Here is my case breakdown.

_Autos:_ A3, A4, A5, A6 (2), A7, A8, A9 (2), A10, A11, A12 (2), A16 (2), A17, A19, A20, A21 (2), A22, A23, A26 (2)

Now, I reckon that's a pretty good result. You're missing 5 limited autos, yes, but the limited autos you do have seem pretty good (at least to me) Have Rittenhouse stated whether any one autograph was more 'limited' than any others?

--
xSaBx
Trading Cards a Go-go!
REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst'
from my e-mail address to send me mail...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
The Rittenhouse website does not list the number of limited autos for each card. There is also a 6th limited auto I did not pull:

DA1 Worf/Dax

Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
My 4 boxes arrived today (yay for FedEx) and here are the highlights:

Box 1
A6 Mary Kay Adams
A24 Brian Thompson
G9 QuarkCC3 Garak (Black And Green)

Box 2
A8 William Sadler
A15 Nicole DeBoer (yay!)
G7 Jake Sisko
CC2 Worf (Black)
AR5 Jennifer Sisko

Box 3
A6 Mary Kay Adams (booooo)
A10 Rene Auberjonois (yay!)
G3 Worf
AR8 Worf

Box 4
A11 Alexander Siddig (yay!)
A26 Barry Jenner
G1 Sisko
CC1 Quark (Plaid)
AR2 Kira

Overall, I think my boxes turned out very nicely. After going through all the cards, it really amazed me how much of the show I don't remember. Good thing I only have 2 more seasons to go of TNG on DVD and then I can start DS9.

Keith

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Posts: 294 | Location: Oswego, IL | Registered: September 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
from the only box of complete DS9 I got
1 base set ( I thought the base cards were dull and boring (very grainy & Dark)
a26 auto
a11 autograph siddig
g1 sisko gallery
alternate reality card siddig
13 friends/foes
5 ships
cc2 worf costume card (black)
I wasn't going to get this trading card set
overall, Skybox did it better
just my 2 cents Frown
JTH

I AM SURE THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN THIS, AFTER 50 YEARS OF LOOKING I AM STILL NO CLOSER TO FINDING IT

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
from the only box of complete DS9 I got
1 base set ( I thought the base cards were dull and boring (very grainy & Dark)

Well, when you've got almost 200 card to layout and print I'm thinking one image per card is cheaper than a montage: I assume Rittenhouse have to pay for every image, and if you multiplied almost 200 images by, lets say 3, to make a montage per card... that's gonna really add up. I know, this is part of what I do for a living (not trading cards, but images for packaging) One image is by far the most economical option, which I assume leaves lots of money to buy costumes etc...

Anyway, I've decided to get a box of these to trade with, because there seems to be enought people collecting... Are there DS9 archive boxes this time around?

--
xSaBx
Trading Cards a Go-go!

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All I wanted from this set was the "added value" of a complete base set covering all episodes and it appears these are dull and grainy......oh well I suppose the added value must lie elsewhere...maybe in the Meaney and Combes autos!!

I suppose the quality of the STOS series 1-3 base sets has just spoiled me!

Posts: 687 | Location: Manchester UK | Registered: September 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is the dullness of the base cards the reason they dont appear on the rittenhouse site checklist or are there other reasons?

There again, to be fair, how many manufacturers provide an advance preview service anyway?

Posts: 687 | Location: Manchester UK | Registered: September 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidJohnston:
Is the dullness of the base cards the reason they dont appear on the rittenhouse site checklist or are there other reasons?

There again, to be fair, how many manufacturers provide an advance preview service anyway?

??? Is that sorta like the trick question they always ask "When did you stop beating your wife?"
I'm not aware of any of the Trek checklists on their site that inlude images of common cards, so I wouldn't call it significant that they didn't this time.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
Picture of Robert Kohlbus
posted Hide Post
We only put one image on the front of each card because that is what collectors and fans requested. We did the montage on both The Complete Star Trek Voyager and The Complete Babylon 5 and fans and collectors alike let us know that they didn't much card for this type of card. So we went back to putting one large single image on the fronts of the cards. Economics played no part in the decision. The quality of the images on Fleer/Skybox TOS set are very sharp because they came directly from film (which is only available for older shows) as opposed to set photography and/or DVD grabs.

As to why there are no images of the base cards on the website checklist, its because I simply don't have the time to scan in 189 base cards, resize them, adjust the brightness/contrast and post the images.

Robert Kohlbus
Rittenhouse Archives
www.scifihobby.com

Posts: 279 | Location: Jenkintown, PA | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Kohlbus:
Economics played no part in the decision.

Good for you :->

--
xSaBx
Trading Cards a Go-go!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the trouble to to reply on this topic, Its just the base cards don't have the normal clarity that Rittenhouse normally has
in its trading card sets, I know you are setting your own mark on the Trading card world, but as I have said on posts in the past, the Quality versus Quantity debate will go on forever, having numerous autographs of minor characters just pushes the prices even lower (ebay a classic example)
as I said b4 just my 2 cents

JOHN THE HAT

I AM SURE THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN THIS, AFTER 50 YEARS OF LOOKING I AM STILL NO CLOSER TO FINDING IT

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of flobe
posted Hide Post
Well, here is my breakdown

Autographs: A1(2),A2(2),A4(3),A5,A6(2),A7,A9(2),A11,A12(2),A16,A19,A21,A23,A24,A26(2),DA1
Well, I would say: Big Grin

Allies and Enemies: All Boxes had the expected count of 13 cards

Ships of the Dominion: All Boxes had the expected count of 5 cards

Gallery Cards: G1,G2,G4(3),G7(3),G8(2),G10
Well, 1 less than the expected average: Frown

Alternate Realities: AR1,AR2,AR3(2),AR5,AR6(2)
Well, 1 more than the expected average: Smile

But now the Costume Cards: CC1(Green/Yellow Striped),CC3(Green and Red),CC4(Dull Silver)
Well, in theory there should be an average of 4,8 Costume Cards per Case. I'm very sad and angry about this: Mad

I haven't counted the common cards yet, but I think, I will get a lot of complete sets.

After the experience of my first case ever, I have to say: Never again! I thought the costume cards would be well divided and I can't sell the double autographs for a price that helps me to get the set complete. Frown Frown Frown Frown

My ST Have/Want Lists (German, but for everyone)
http://www.st-cards.de

Posts: 792 | Location: Germany | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post