Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
 Login/Join

Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gotham_Knight:
To be honest im not sure what im going to do with them, i was going to try and get the first part of the Dillon 2 pannel piece but currently its sitting on ebay at $250 and thats just not what im willing to spend on a single card (not just yet anyway).
Im tempted to sell them both...but im not too savvy with the whole value of cards.

You know I've always found that I've stayed away from the really high opening bid cards... if that very same card had a Buy It Now price, then maybe I'd be lured into snatching it up before someone else bought it right from under my nose...and that's the whole psychology to posting on Ebay. But when it opens at that high price, then I think that seller thinks there may be a bidding war, or that the card may really get a higher price...and that usually puts the card out of my range as a collector. Hey, anyone can charge anything they'd like for a sketch card, and I don't begrudge artists, collectors or dealers from making money on anything related to the arts...the amount of money invested in an arts education, not to mention the TIME one spends honing your craft...and the amount of money dealers plunk down to acquire some of these great cards...on the business end of it, the basic fundamental Economics 101 law of Supply and Demand dictates what any and every one of these sketch cards are going for.

Your Dillon is a beauty...but I bet if you put it up on Ebay at an opening bid of $.99...you'd see it garner the same kind of money than if it was put up at the $250 opening bid price...I know I'd be bidding on it until it hit the $200 range...

I pulled one of my own cards from a case I invested in...and thought someone else that collected my cards or was a scene collector, or even a Pippin collector...might want a shot at owning it.....

I put it up last Sunday evening at exactly that...$.99...I know I like to see that when I'm bidding, and although it stayed at the $1.14 range for quite some time...it's already creeped up to almost $150...

So forget about what you may percieve the value of any card to be...Ebay will dictate that value...or your Buy It Now price may dictate the value...in any event, going with custom work by Katie Cook is a sure thing as her cards have become the caveat of this entire LOTRM set...well, her work...and Renae DeLiz, Ray Dillon, Jake Myler, Brent Engstrom, Brandon McKinney, etc...okay, there are too many to mention as I love them all...I do know that the minute I saw Katie's work get posted on the sketchcards.com site, I was off PMing Katie...immediately got 3 Gollums PSC, then my wife HAD TO HAVE a bunch of Hobbits Drinking Beer cards, then some Charlie Brown related stuff...and if you see what she's done with her multiple panel panoramas, you may never buy a box again.

Good luck with it no matter what you decide to do with it...sell it outright, put it up on Ebay (I'll be bidding for sure) or enjoy looking at it as it's a beauty.

Have a great Holiday...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 216 | Location: New York | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocdlotr:
I pulled one of my own cards from a case I invested in...and thought someone else that collected my cards or was a scene collector, or even a Pippin collector...might want a shot at owning it......

Yes it is a wonderful sketch and I'm ( at 12:14 Saturday ) still the highest bidder on this Wavey

The problem with this set is really trying to make up the doubles or multipanels.

I know the second half ( Gimli ) of my pulled Renee De Liz ( back on page 9 of this thread ) is with a dealer in the UK who isn't selling.

I know the first half of my pulled Sean Pence ( Rosie ) is with MarleyEds

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of Time and he can see the turn of the Universe.
And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Urmston, United Kingdom | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Alrigh guys, let's keep in mind that for sale and wanted to buy posts are not allowed on Card Talk, and posting links to eBay auction is generally not allowed either -- it's never allowed when it's your own auction.

I would have emailed this to ocdlotr, but you don't have an email address in your profile.

Email any of the moderators with questions.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jon - I should have realized the quote included a live auction link Eek !

Anyway I how have ebayed another half for my Justin Chung ( again on page 9 of this thread ) so it is possible to make up a double

And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Urmston, United Kingdom | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
...mea culpa Jon...I really had no idea...
...I was blabbering on about the low vs high opening bid strategy regarding Ebay auctions...and used my Pippin card as an illustration rather than an advertisement...sorry...won't happen again and thanks for editing it.

Posts: 216 | Location: New York | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first got my case from Topps (a month or so ago), I was shorted five sketch cards. I wrote Topps about it a few weeks back and I got the replacement cards in the mail Saturday. I was originally very disapointed with my case, but after adding these cards to it I am much happier with it:

I'm not really sure who or what the 2nd sketch is, but I'm glad to have gotten a Rabbitte sketch. I think the 4th sketch is Aragorn, but could be mistaken. I really like the sketch for some reason regardless of who it is.

And I'm very happy with the 5th sketch. It's neat to have one of the 22 cards that Watkins-Chow did based on the Tarot deck.

Posts: 94 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: April 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thats a great result,well done to Topps for giving such a good spread of artists Thumb Up .

The 4th one does look like Aragorn but the artist does post on the forum so he can say for sure.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
nice catch on those last five Thumb Up

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
That card is Faramir. Should have made his nose bigger Wink

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
wow, you got 2 case making sketchs in that 5, congrats!

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those are nice sketches Mike Thumb Up

quote:
Originally posted by dis68:
it is possible to make up a double

Ah well the Gimli ( part 2 of the Renae de Liz Legolas on page 9 of this thread ) has just appeared on eBay and almost as quickly I pressed the Buy-It-Now Eek

Has no-one seen the other half of the Hamill Galadriel ?? Wavey

And...
He's WONDERFUL.

posted Hide Post
Here are some cards from a case/boxes I cracked, did pretty darned good. Smile

Here is another card, and I thought I would just tease everyone a little >Big Grin

For the record, I have pulled every artist, including Kayanan, from the packs. My journey is over....Was it a good journey?....Your damn straight it was...Will I ever do it again?.....Not a chance.....Would I do it over again given the chance?....In a heartbeat!!!! Smile

Posts: 284 | Location: Boise, ID, USA | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, you've only just started. It gets cold in Twin Falls during the winter and you'll have to get a few more cases just to keep from going stir crazy.

Is it just me, but does anybody else see Russ's signature and think of the Rittenhouse logo? Cool

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here is the lovely lady Smile

Posts: 284 | Location: Boise, ID, USA | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of slackjawedyokel
posted Hide Post
As Always Zach some sweet pulls, especially that Pence Eowyn. That card is just gorgeous. Also am liking the Walks, Vanderstelt and that Denethor sketch (not sure who DF is though. I need to check the list of artists).

Cheers - Peter

Posts: 889 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of samauto
posted Hide Post
DF might be Dave Fox

Pete.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
DF is Dave Fox!!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Once again Ztaylork has some magnificent sketches from his boxes and has one of only 6 possible "master" sets i.e. one example of each artist even outdoing ocdlotr on this one ( Unless he now has one of the original Kayanans )

And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Picture of Gotham_Knight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 99 | Location: Scotland | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gotham_Knight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 99 | Location: Scotland | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post