Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a little early to be sure but it looks like people buying a case will get a number of repeats.

Maybe in the rush to get the product out on time the packers of the sketches were not able to distribute each artist evenly.

I wonder also if the fact that some artists did a lot of extra cards at the end meant they were all packed together.

Maybe buying single boxes from different sellers is the way to increase your chances of variation.

I was hoping to have my case by now but the seller has lost my credit card details Roll Eyes and I have got to phone with them on Monday.After reading the comments here and seeing the case breaks I am having serious second thoughts.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerosev
posted Hide Post
Luv You Could not have been happier with my case. Well... maybe with a 1:68000 or a refractor or a gold ok so I could have been happier... but hey I am not greedy.

Case broke down with good coalation.
7 silver foils sets (need 1 card to complete the 8th, have 1 duplicate)
8 etched foil sets (perfect)
8 Bronze foil cards (duplicates that will need to be traded)
I assume roughly 13-16 base sets
16 sketch cards (2 per box)
2 level A Elephant
Mccrea and Justin Thumb Up
2 Level B
Corroney and Rabbitte
3 level G (I thought this was extremely good considering you should only get one from this group per case)
2 wilkinson and 1 Mangue
1 color Katie Cook Thumb Up
1 color Patrick Hamil Thumb Up Blue background with soldier in full armour
Taranishi - Profile with some white pencil
3 different from Fabbri including a horse with red eyes - very cool
Ray dillon with red slash on the charactors face
Tess Fowler - nice detail
1 unkown soldier - no signature work is pencil with some ball point pen. I cant figure out who this is from.
If someone can explain to me how to post pictures I can put these up for all to see.

Overall couldn't ask for a better breakdown. Each sketch card had a personality all its own. Even from the same artist, you could tell there was a difference.

Very, Very happy, thanks to all the artist that made this set worth while.

Posts: 101 | Location: SLZ | Registered: June 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Master:
I've been thinking about buying a case but Im niot sure if i should.

If my opinion matters to you, than don't bother.

Save your money for something else.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
quote:

Your thoughts count although I am curious as to your reasoning.

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Tangent - thanks muchly! That was Waterhouse! I looked on Marleyeds site, but only saw the triangle HOUSE sig, not the other version. That signature link was most helpful!

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
quote:

Your thoughts count although I am curious as to your reasoning.

Look at the posts above, I think you will see my reasoning. From what I received in my case and what others have, I do not think it is worth the cost.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
thats good to know since I am also considering the new Star Trek wich comes out soon

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
WOW zero, that was a HECK OF A BREAK! you pulled TWO LEVEL A SKETCHS!?!?!? god, i hope i have a case break like yours. im getting excited. first case should be here today, but the post office doesnt have a tracking number you can check on insured items only, so who knows. ill post here soon as i can.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know how to properly express my anger and disapointment. I purchased a factory sealed case. I pulled a total of 11 sketches. That's right, just 11. One box had zero sketch cards and three only had 1. I pulled no full color sketches and frankly, I can draw better than what half of the cards I got are; and I'm not that good of an artist.

So much anger right now....

Posts: 94 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: April 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
1 box -
mini master set w/ all the Kanyanan's & all the foil cards + 2 sketches:

FIRST sketch had me worried because it came so late in the box (like pack 25 ...

NEXT made me happy ...

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rich With Cards
posted Hide Post
I have opened one case so far and am pretty pleased.

Not to sure about the top right hand hound of isengard sketch any suggestions ????

Posts: 87 | Location: West Midlands | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of gofmauleg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich With Cards:
Not to sure about the top right hand hound of isengard sketch any suggestions ????

Congrats on your case breakdown! Clap I think that sketch was done by Matthew Goodmanson.

Posts: 714 | Location: City by the Bay, CA | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerosev
posted Hide Post
we went through 3 cases (my friend and I). Not one Gold card.
I heard someone did 9 cases without a gold foil. Sounds like you either HIT or miss with this product.

Posts: 101 | Location: SLZ | Registered: June 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that Staggs, it totally glows!

Posts: 37 | Location: Pleasanton, California | Registered: July 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Cardz_house
posted Hide Post
There's really some nice sketches but I will be glad to pass up the idea of getting cases as the breakdowns do suggest at most maybe 2-3 coloured sketches per case.

Some of my traders: Star*Mystyk, davelennox, Jack London, Chris Byrne, TAT, spidergoblin, Brimaster, cverdec, mac13, mars53, Ryan Cracknell, wuher, angelchick182, FRANK AMICO, batmancity, Card Reaper, Over_Worked_Mom, Dewman, THX2112, venom5liter, batmancity, barobehere, KADRAN00157, browninga5m, trade-a-card, FCB, wolfie, ghostrider666, Brian A. Davis, s8zaphod, Cee_Jay

Posts: 1451 | Location: Singapore | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
i dont care if they are colored or not, frankly some artists look a lot better in black and white then color. if it does not add anything to color it, then its not an upgrade to be color. My problem with this set is the coalition(SP). I just opened my first case, and counting my first box, ive pulled 4 howard shums, and 3 teranishi , and 2 ryan waterhouse. WHats more, the waterhouse was the same sketch literally, and they were in the same box. thats just nuts. I did get 17 sketchs in the case, but also i got no golds. Im the hugest lotr sketch fan in the world, but i think im gonna sell off the other 2 cases if this is the way its gonna break. What i dont like, is that no one takes the time to scan any of their lower end sketchs on Lotrsketchcards.com, you only see the higher end. At least with avengers, while it doesnt hit the highs or the above averages Masterpieces does, it wont have the lows either. i hope i do better on that product.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerosev
posted Hide Post
Need some help identifying this sketch artist. No signature... I will say it is a variant Big Grin

Looks an awful lot like a Zapata. I can only hope.

Picture of zerosev
posted Hide Post
Check these out
my favs

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have just finished busting our two cases.
I've got some comments in regards to what appears to be overhyped expectations, but I will post those on a more appropriate thread.

We pulled 30 sketchcards from our two cases, but we landed two gold parallels so I consider us even on that account.

Here are the sketches:
Cat Staggs- Awesome colored, "Pippin holding orb"
Cat Staggs- Awesome colored, "Mouth of Sauron"
William O'Neill- Nice blue Sauron
Leah Mangue- Nice "Orc General" & ""Gandalf's Staff Head?"
Robert Teranishi- A very nice, "Orc" done in ink
Ryan Waterhouse- "Orc" & "Urak Hai" Frown
Amy Pronovost- A very nice "Wog Rider"
Chris Dalla Vecchia- "Pippin in Armour" & "Gandalf"
Michael Duron- A very nice "Denethor"
Grant Gould- A green, "Witch King" and a purple, "Nazgul"
Howard Shum- "Theoden", "Aragon", and "Faramir"
Tess Fowler- An awesome "Arwen"
Sarah Wilkinson- Two nearly identical, "Legolas." One is in green, the other is in blue, but two awesome cards.
Kevin Graham- A nice "Strider/Aragon"
Davide Fabbri- Two different,"Nazgul on Horse" an "Orc", and a "Arwen with Botoxed Lips"
Katie Cook- Stunning "Eowyn slaying Witch King's Mount", a very nice,"Aragon wedding Arwen", 3 others on not really sure who they are Big Grin

Gold Parallels: 2

Bronze Parallels: 19, missing 5 and 6x2

Foil Art Cards: 14 sets, missing 4x2 for two additional sets, and 10 extras

Kayanan Etched Foils: 15 sets, with 5 extras

I haven't even thought about the base sets at this point in time, but hopefully I can get one per box.
I will post pictures of my sketchcards shortly.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post

These are my five Katie Cook sketches.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post