Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
 Login/Join

Picture of SeanPatrickPence
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ztaylork:
Well I just cracked 6 cases, and here are the highlights:

Sean Pence Eowyn...YES!!! 2 color Chandlers (and he only did 50 pack inserted colors....LUCKY!! Smile Big Blue Eyed Gollum!!!QUOTE]

YAY! Conrats on the Eowyn pull Zach!! Thumb Up I'm glad she found a good home... well, at least until you dump her for Lady Arwen! Shake Head

Posts: 51 | Location: The Uncharted Territories | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Hi all

Just reporting in my first box.

2 full sets of base cards
1 full set of kayanan foils
1 full set of silver foils
No 1/9 bronze

sketch 1 - fabbri - superb gandalf keeping the nazgul away on the Pelenor fields
sketch 2 - Brian Rood - frodo portrait

really happy - nice box excellent compilation.
Any one know how many Brian Rood sketched??

Will report in boxes 2 and 3 when they turn up.

Smile

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztaylork:

Sean Pence Eowyn...YES!!! 2 color Chandlers (and he only did 50 pack inserted colors....LUCKY!! Smile Big Blue Eyed Gollum!!! Not to mention some other sweet stuff in these first nine:

I absolutely love the Keith Phillips Aragorn!!! And the Jessica Hickman is awesome as well!!! (as they all are Smile )

And I love the Matthew Goodmanson Aragorn facing down Lurtz!!

Some more pretty sketches:

A couple puzzle cards that need to find the rest of the puzzle pieces Smile

And lastly I need help with a few artists. I belive the gorgeous Aragorn/Arwen is Jim Kyle, but not positive, and the middle one without a sig, I need some help on him for sure Smile

Anyways, unfortunetly I will not be able to keep all of these wonderful cards, so some will hit that evil websit, and some will get traded for my preciuos Arwen!!! I will admit my fingers hurt a little from all the packs. One thing though, out of the 8 cases I have opened now, not a single gold foil art card!!!!

i would say that middle one is tom hodges or Fabbri.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
quote:
Originally posted by ztaylork:

[IMG]

And lastly I need help with a few artists. I belive the gorgeous Aragorn/Arwen is Jim Kyle, but not positive, and the middle one without a sig, I need some help on him for sure Smile

Anyways, unfortunetly I will not be able to keep all of these wonderful cards, so some will hit that evil websit, and some will get traded for my preciuos Arwen!!! I will admit my fingers hurt a little from all the packs. One thing though, out of the 8 cases I have opened now, not a single gold foil art card!!!!

Elrond is a Joanne Mutch. It says JEM 06 in his crown upper left corner.

Posts: 49 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: August 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
Ok, who HAS pulled a gold foil? ive heard now of about 45-55 cases being broken, and about 3 golds...that doesnt make sense given the odds posted on the back.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did you get your cases from Zhamlau? I too heard from people of opening over 3 cases without pulling a Gold Foil. I know the coallation is not that good. The Evolution coallation wasn't that good either.

Some dealers were lucky enough to pull several Kayanans from 20-30 cases while others who opened 50-100 cases of Evolution only pulled 3-4 Kayanans.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Topps uses a few distribution sites which might be why the coallation is not as good.

Posts: 132 | Location: CALIFORNIA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I opened two cases. Two golds in one of them, none in the other.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
I have opened 20 cases, and have not found one gold card. Shake Head

On average I sould have found aleast 10, and this amounts to almost $1000 lost revenue on the product.

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckysaur:
Where did you get your cases from Zhamlau? I too heard from people of opening over 3 cases without pulling a Gold Foil. I know the coallation is not that good. The Evolution coallation wasn't that good either.

Some dealers were lucky enough to pull several Kayanans from 20-30 cases while others who opened 50-100 cases of Evolution only pulled 3-4 Kayanans.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Topps uses a few distribution sites which might be why the coallation is not as good.

i got some from potamac, and some off ebay dealers. Ive only gotten 3 cases total , but still how can all these cases be empty of these? i know the coalation is wonky as heck, but my god, 3 foils in 50+ case breaks?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Horseshoe:
I have opened 20 cases, and have not found one gold card. Shake Head

On average I sould have found aleast 10, and this amounts to almost $1000 lost revenue on the product.

Dave.

That's a lot of cases. Sorry to hear about the lack of Gold Cards. I would write to Topps, you'll never know.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
Hobby Case:

Box 1:
-----
2 Base Sets
6 Etched-Foil: 1,2,3,4,5,6
9 Foil Art: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
1 Foil Art Bronze: 5
2 Sketches: Dalla Vecchia Aragorn, Dalla Vecchia Orc

Box 2:
-----
2 Base Sets
1 Foil Art Bronze: 5
2 Sketches: Kevin Graham Gollum, Matthew Goodmanson Ringwraith

Box 3:
-----
2 Base Sets
1 Foil Art Bronze: 6
2 Sketches: Howard Shum Arwen, William O'Neill Gandalf

Box 4:
------
2 Base Sets
1 Foil Art Bronze: 7
2 Sketches: Kevin Graham Aragorn, Matthew Goodmanson Lurtz

Box 5:
-----
1 Base Set (Missing 2 cards for 2nd)
5 Etched-Foil: 1,3,4,5,6
1 Foil Art Bronze: 2
2 Sketches: Dalla Vecchia Orc, Davide Fabbri Sauron

Box 6:
-----
2 Base Sets
1 Foil Art Bronze: 7
2 Sketches: Robert Teranishi Cave Troll, Ryan Waterhouse Orc

Box 7:
-----
2 Base Sets
1 Foil Art Bronze: 3
2 Sketches: Len Bellinger Balrog, Dalla Vecchia Frodo

Box 8:
-----
2 Base Sets
1 Foil Art Bronze: 4
2 Sketches: Howard Shum Gandalf, William O'Neill Gollum

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
great bellinger! He is quickly becoming one of the high end pulls in the set! Have you ever seen one of his that isnt exceptional?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Nice pull Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatodama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reidelmundo:
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ztaylork:

[IMG]

Middle card Jason Keith Phillips

Posts: 240 | Location: san antonio TX | Registered: March 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of gofmauleg
posted Hide Post
Box 1
-------

2 Base Sets
6 Etched Foil: 1 – 6
9 Silver Foil: 1 – 9
1 Bronze: 2 Legolas
2 Sketches: Mary Huang – Sam & Brandon McKinney – Legolas

Box 2
-------

2 Base Sets
1 Bronze: 4 Gandalf
2 Sketches: Steven Miller – Faramir & Howard Shum – Eowyn

Box 3
-------

2 Base Sets
1 Bronze: 4 Gandalf
2 Sketches: Katie Cook – Arwen & Davide Fabbri – Ringwraith

Box 4
-------

2 Base Sets
1 Bronze: 3 Gimli
2 Sketches: Jeff Chandler – Gandalf & Amy Pronovost – Faramir

Box 5
-------

2 Base Sets
1 Bronze: 9 Boromir
2 Sketches: Jason Keith Phillips – Frodo & Jessica Hickman – One Ring

Box 6
-------

2 Base Sets
1 Bronze: 8 Pippin
2 Sketches: Jon Ocampo – Boromir & Lee Kohse – Theoden

Box 7
-------

2 Base Sets
1 Bronze: 3 Gimli
2 Sketches: Brian Rood – Gollum & Davide Fabbri – Rohan Horseman

Box 8
-------

2 Base Sets
5 Etched Foil: 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6
9 Silver Foil: 1, 2, 3 (2), 4, 7, 8 & 9
1 Bronze: 2 Legolas
3 Sketches: Allison Sohn – Theoden, Jake Myler – Arwen & Lee Kohse – Dead Soldier

I’m very pleased with my case break. I pulled 17 sketches from 15 talented artists. Interestingly, I waited to open my last box after I sorted and collated all the other cards. As I was opening the packs from the last box, my partner was asking question about the cards. At that point, I had already pulled 2 sketches per box so I mentioned that I’m glad I pulled the expect number of sketches per box. My partner then says, “How about pulling 3 sketches?!” and in my next pack, I pulled my 3rd sketch card. It was a wonderful surprise! Big Grin

I might not have identified each character correctly so please post your suggestions. Amy Pronovost, did I identified that character correctly? I wasn't sure if that was Faramir or Aragorn. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 714 | Location: City by the Bay, CA | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post

These are the pulls from my second case, and I am happy with all the great sketches. This has been a fun set, and I even broke down and have some more coming.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
great case break gofmauleg. many excellent sketches.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Schmusey
posted Hide Post
Just got my second box today. First box one was about as mediocre as possible. Two Roberto Flores Gandalf sketches (nearly the exact same card). Not Bad at all when you consider the artwork quality. So I order my second box two days later and it comes today. I open her up and am getting pretty nervous when I go through about 25 packs without a single sketch. Then I finally get a Katie Cook Gimli sketch that is quite amusing, but not quite a goldmine find. I am getting pretty anxious after that and open my last pack. I am elated to say that it was Cat Staggs's sketch with Eowyn weeping over Theoden's dying body. Absolutely GORGEOUS!

I am extremely new to this hobby and because of this find, it is whetting my appetite to continue purchasing the masterpiece set. I cannot thank the artists enough for doing this set. I am a lifetime LOTR fan and this is a refreshing new collecting opportunity for all of us. THANKS!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Schmusey,

Posts: 2 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of gofmauleg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
great case break gofmauleg. many excellent sketches.

Thank you tangent! Smile

Posts: 714 | Location: City by the Bay, CA | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post