Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I thought that maybe it was a joke but it seems to be borderline conspiracy cause everyone's in on it, or at least playing along. Roll Eyes

Posts: 31 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: September 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
I thought that maybe it was a joke but it seems to be borderline conspiracy cause everyone's in on it, or at least playing along. Roll Eyes

It is most definetly a joke, but come one, it does look more like every picture of Jesus I've ever seen than any miscelaneous bearded man from the LOTR! It was just my way of taking my Shum with a grain of salt so to speak. I think everyone else just likes to play around as much as I do.

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
As for my mystery Arwen.... It has been confirmed by Ranae De Liz as one of hers! She has even offered to sign it for me. So, I really liked the card before and my pulls before, but to pull a
Great De Liz out of 106
Great Ocampo out of 256
and Nice Ramos who's # total is unknown but is in the same group as all of the other artists who only did 100.
A gold Frodo card! Plus some quality pencil sketches.
I really did well with my four boxes!

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
Got my 3 boxes yesterday and of course I stayed up VERY late to open each and every pack. Here's what I pulled:

Box 1:

Dalla Vecchia - King of the Dead Very Happy
Fabbri - Gollum
Bronze Foil - Aragorn

Box 2:

Dalla Vecchia - Arwen
Shum - Gandalf
Bronze Foil - Boromir

Box 3:
Chandler - Cave Troll (first I thought it might be Gollum, an Orc, the Fly, a distant cousin to Miss Piggy... but after seeing the color version on the LOTR sketch site it was astoundingly clear who it was... Embarassed )
Engstrom - Gondorian Soldier Very Happy
Bronze Foil - Legolas

Each box also had 1 set of silver Foils and 1 set of the Kayanan Foils.

Sadly I didn't pull any color cards or any Staggs, Pence, Cook...
But I shouldn't complain. I got the 2 promised sketches per box and the King of the Dead and the Engstrom card are faboulous!

If anyone wants me to trade the Chandler or the Arwen for another one, let me know.

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Hi, I might be interested in your Chandler. Have a look at my website and let me know if something caught your eye.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of slackjawedyokel
posted Hide Post
Soul-on-fire - How about trading the Fabbri Gollum? Any interest?
Cheers - Peter

Posts: 889 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Opened another box and got my THIRD Katie Cook card from four boxes(I did not get this box from the same place I did the other three). I'm not even gonna bother posting this one because it looks like Puff the Magic Dragon sketched on a napkin. Anyway, but I pulled this beauty:

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Cool sketch, Jane. Fabbri did some cool cards for this set!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slackjawedyokel:
Soul-on-fire - How about trading the Fabbri Gollum? Any interest?
Cheers - Peter

Peter, I didn't plan to... it's my very first Gollum... but it all depends what you have to offer... Wink Take care - Andrea

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
Opened another box and got my THIRD Katie Cook card from four boxes(I did not get this box from the same place I did the other three). I'm not even gonna bother posting this one because it looks like Puff the Magic Dragon sketched on a napkin. Anyway, but I pulled this beauty:

Love it - superb.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 box break down. Dont remember which cards came in each box. I got 2 mini master sets and an extra common set. I also received Bronze cards #7 & 8.

A Hodges and a Dennis Budd

Doran & a Fabbri

The Doran, Budd and the bronze cards are available.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
I love those Fabbri cards! Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm slow but I had to replace my scanner. Images don't look great with a big dark band right down the middle.

Here's breakdowns on my two cases. I'm quite pleased with my pulls but I'm not totally sure which ones are my favorites. All boxes had two complete base sets, boxtopper sell sheet poster, a complete foil art set of 9, a complete foil puzzle set of 6, 1 bronze parallel foil art card, and no gold parallel foil art cards, unless noted.

First Case:

Box 1: Brandon McKinney (150) + Len Bellinger (162)
Box 2: Mike Lilly (~150) + Howard Shum (1000)
Box 3: Leah Mangue (856) + Robert Teranishi (~1000)
Box 4: Robert Teranishi (~1000) + Ryan Waterhouse (1000)
Box 5: Ray Dillon (252) + Jeff Zapata (80)
Box 6: Katie Cook (906) + Davide Fabbri (~1000)
Box 7: Allison Sohn (261) + Colleen Doran (200)
----- foil art: 0x #1, 2x #3
Box 8: Davide Fabbri (~1000) + Jake Myler (300)
----- foil art: 2x #1, 0x #3

Second Case:

Box 1: Joanne Mutch (150) + Howard Shum (1000)
Box 2: Dennis Budd (106) + Davide Fabbri (~1000)
Box 3: Kevin Graham (356) + Matthew Goodmanson (400)
----- 1 gold parallel
Box 4: William O'Neill (300) + Lee Kohse (306)
Box 5: Sean Pence (281) + Jessica Hickman (556)
Box 6: Robert Teranishi (~1000) + Matthew Goodmanson (400) + Roberto Flores (~500)
Box 7: Connie Persampieri (356) + Jon Ocampo (256)
Box 8: Jake Myler (300) + Jake Myler (300)
----- 1 gold parallel

Here's the sketches, in alphabetical order by artist surname unless they slipped on the scanner glass.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally opened my case this weekend. Generally pleased but only got 4 different Bronze cards (out of 8) and only 15 sketch cards (1 box just had a Shum and one had none) which really riles me. I know nothing is guaranteed but when a box includes a poster highlighting two sketches per box you expect two sketches. And I have three Fabbri sketches which are impressive quality considering how many he did.

Posts: 258 | Location: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are some really nice sketches people are getting, well done

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T42:
Finally opened my case this weekend. Generally pleased but only got 4 different Bronze cards (out of 8) and only 15 sketch cards (1 box just had a Shum and one had none) which really riles me. I know nothing is guaranteed but when a box includes a poster highlighting two sketches per box you expect two sketches. And I have three Fabbri sketches which are impressive quality considering how many he did.

That is a shame, I feel for you. It would be even worse if you had only purchased the one box with no sketches in Shake Head.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Picked up 2 boxes off that auction site from the USA.

Both had the usual 2 base sets,a set of both chase sets,and a bronze foil.

First box sketches were Waterhouse(Orc) and Teranishi(Gollum).

Second box sketches Booth(nice pencil Aragorn) and Fabbri(Army of the Dead soldier in green with white eyes).

There seems to be a lot of boxes where two artists are paired together.I have had 3 Teranishi/Waterhouse boxes and 2 Booth/Fabbri boxes.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These were the sketches from my case

As an aside I was just beaten ( US$505 ) in the last 6 seconds on eBay for the left hand side of the Justin Chung sketch.
No sign of the other halves of the De Liz or Patrick's Galadriel

He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of Time and he can see the turn of the Universe.
And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Urmston, United Kingdom | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of dlpn1fan
posted Hide Post
Nice cards, can't go wrong with that Vanderstelt pull Thumb Up

Posts: 751 | Location: Pomona CA | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlpn1fan:
Nice cards, can't go wrong with that Vanderstelt pull Thumb Up

Yes its a great Gollum but my favourite has to be Patrick Hamill's Galadriel ( even if it's only 1 half ! )

This is a very good looking set and has a good mix of art, costume design, caricacture, portrait and game design elements too.

I got 5 bronze foils ( with another 3 duplicates ) no gold foil, no refractor foil and certainly no original of the etched foils

He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of Time and he can see the turn of the Universe.
And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Urmston, United Kingdom | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post