Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/4311051391

November 08, 2006, 04:53 AM
zhamlau
Lord of the Rings Masterpieces (Topps)
that was an excellent world class break on that incarnadine! You didnt get one repeat, a couple of color sketchs, and a good assortment of level b and c sketchs! a lot of people didnt even get one from either group! i had the same problem with my foils also.

November 08, 2006, 11:45 AM
Dobby The House Elf
Okay, I was holding off on my box break post until I had confirmation on an unsigned sketch, but I have Chris @ Marleyeds looking into it and it appears to NOT be either of the two artists that it seemed most likely to have been.

Here are my 4 box breaks. I still haven’t done base sets
Each box yeilded a full puzzle set and silver set with no missing or duplicates. One silver was damaged so I will need to replace that but it was the only noticable damged card out of four boxes so I was happy to see quality there. One bronze per box.

I also pulled a GOLD Frodo #39/99 out of box #2 Not bad out of four boxes!

Two sketches pulled per box as follows:
Box 1:
Farmamir: Fabbri
Theoden while under Wormtounge’s spell: Myler

Box 2:
Jesus: Shum (Super rare!)
Arwen:Artist Unknown, fully painted actually has thick paint on the card in places. It is a real nice card. No signature. Thought it might have been a Myler but Chris states he has scans of all of Mylers sketches and it is not.

Box 3:
Looks again like Theoden under wormtounge’s spell? Any other thoughts? Very nice pencil sketch: Connie Persampieri
Full color marker and paint tower. :Jon Ocampo. I pulled this prior to Marleyeds update on his site. The site is now updated and I see that this is the center of a nine card panel. This has very finely detailed paint on the eye in several colors. This is an awesome sketch!

Box 4:
King of the dead: Fabbri
Frodo: Ramos

No matter who did my unsigned sketch I think I did very well. With a large amount of sketches, Fabbri did a very nice job and some nice variety from what I have seen on the web. I am very pleased with my boxes.

November 08, 2006, 12:17 PM
wuher
Thats a great Arwen

A gem for anyones collections

Regards Mark

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble
November 08, 2006, 12:35 PM
Batman
The Arwen looks a lot like Renee De Liz, but that's just a guess. I'm sure someone has a better idea. Nice sketch, Dobby! Thumb Up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batman,

November 08, 2006, 12:43 PM
glim
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
The Arwen looks a lot like Renee De Liz, but that's just a guess....

My money is on Myler!!
November 08, 2006, 01:01 PM
zhamlau
i would go with myler as well. IT DOES look like a de liz , especially with the forehead white highlights and red lips, but yeah its just to much like myler in the face and color application. Myler i would say. That is one elite myler though, maybe his best ive seen so far (assuming it is myler and not RDL). And yeah, i like your jesus sketch as well. You could sell it on ebay for like 27,000 to goldenpalace.com.

November 08, 2006, 01:32 PM
Thush
Incarnadine, I'd be happy to send over my spare #5 for the etched foils. Funnily enough, it is the only one that doesn't make up a set in my half-case.
November 08, 2006, 01:59 PM
steve j
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
Hi all

Just reporting in my first box.

2 full sets of base cards
1 full set of kayanan foils
1 full set of silver foils
No 1/9 bronze

sketch 1 - fabbri - superb gandalf keeping the nazgul away on the Pelenor fields - Level I
sketch 2 - Brian Rood - frodo portrait - Level B

Will report in boxes 2 and 3 when they turn up.

Smile

Box 2

Same again - exact same ratios

1 full set of kayanan foils
1 full set of silver foils
No 1/9 bronze

sketch 1 - H Shum - Possible Frodo (Level I)
sketch 2 - Otis Frampton - coloured Gollum (Level B)

Weird!!!!!!!!!!, even the bronze number was the same. If this happens in the 3rd box, I will still be happy Big Grin
November 08, 2006, 03:12 PM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Dobby The House Elf:
Box 2:
Jesus: Shum (Super rare!)
Arwen:Artist Unknown, fully painted actually has thick paint on the card in places. It is a real nice card. No signature. Thought it might have been a Myler but Chris states he has scans of all of Mylers sketches and it is not.

Nice sketches well done and to get Jesus as well!!!!!!! The Arwen is VERY nice Thumb Up
November 08, 2006, 06:23 PM
Dobby The House Elf
Well, my first thought was Myler, I then breifly considered Hodgkins because the style and gold ink reminded me of my Arwen from the Evolution set. Chris has all of Myler's and Hodgkins cards and it is neither. Perhaps it is De Liz. I hadn't considered that.

I really like it and the Ocampo a lot. The fine detail on the Ocampo has to be seen to appreciated.

November 08, 2006, 08:59 PM
gabfan
Can anyone help id this artist? Thanks

My site is up finally!!!!
Darkslayer's Trading Page

November 08, 2006, 09:20 PM
Incarnadine
I believe that is Leah Mangue. I had to look up one of those too when I was trying to identify the artists on my pulls. That signature identification section at Marleyeds was a godsend.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

November 08, 2006, 09:43 PM
gabfan
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
I believe that is Leah Mangue. I had to look up one of those too when I was trying to identify the artists on my pulls. That signature identification section at Marleyeds was a godsend.

Thanks alot. Big Grin

My site is up finally!!!!
Darkslayer's Trading Page

November 08, 2006, 09:45 PM
kbmum
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:That signature identification section at Marleyeds was a godsend.

Thanks for mentioning that! I had no idea the section was available on the site and it's such a great help. Smile
November 08, 2006, 10:04 PM
dlpn1fan
Hello,

Anybody in this group have the other half?

[URL= ]Graham Balrog[/URL]
November 08, 2006, 10:07 PM
Incarnadine
quote:
Originally posted by dlpn1fan:
Hello,

It appears you need 2 thirds still since the card says "1/3"

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

November 08, 2006, 10:10 PM
dlpn1fan
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
quote:
Originally posted by dlpn1fan:
Hello,

It appears you need 2 thirds still since the card says "1/3"

Why I didn't look close enough, apparently I do,( The eyes go first at 40 years) Thanks. So much for this set, off too.........!
November 09, 2006, 04:43 AM
jonocampo
quote:
Originally posted by Dobby The House Elf:
Box 3:
Full color marker and paint tower. :Jon Ocampo. I pulled this prior to Marleyeds update on his site. The site is now updated and I see that this is the center of a nine card panel. This has very finely detailed paint on the eye in several colors. This is an awesome sketch!

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that you liked that card. Very nice box breaks. Congrats on all your pulls.

November 09, 2006, 11:10 AM
Johnny Boy
Sorry for my ignorance as I feel that I have been keeping pretty up to date with this set and reading all the forums for it, but can some one tell me why a Shum sketch that looks to me like Boromir is being referred to as Jesus. Did I miss something. Thanks.
November 09, 2006, 03:00 PM
DewMan
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
Sorry for my ignorance as I feel that I have been keeping pretty up to date with this set and reading all the forums for it, but can some one tell me why a Shum sketch that looks to me like Boromir is being referred to as Jesus. Did I miss something. Thanks.

Joke?

And I think it's Ted Nugent.

Mark