Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Marvel Masterpieces 2 2008 (Upper Deck)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Masterpieces 2 2008 (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Here is a much cleaner scan (taken from someone's post on Scoundrel)

The names looks to begin with either a D or an S, but I am comming up empty.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
tevans333,igman7

Fairly certain that the artists name is D.T.Amos

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
Box #2804

2 base sets. I like my base sets!
A1, A3(2), A4, A5, A7, A9(2)
MH1(2). MH3(2), MH5, MH6, MH7, MH8
Iron Man A and Hulk A
0 Fantastic 4 -(3)filler cards

sketch card

I'm not familar with the artist. Anybody know the artist? Wave

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Excellent card, Silverback. This to me is what sketch cards are all about. It's exctly how comics are drawn before the inker gets hold of them to embellish.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
That has to be Chris Marrinan. Here's the sketch card of Iron man that he did for the MM07.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
It is surely Marrinan...here is another example from MM08

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Thumb Up I need all the help I can get.

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
There are 3 cards in both the Iron Man and Hulk sets. The first card is in the hobby, the others are retail exclusive. We will not know how rare they are until the retail product hits.

I got Iron Man A&C in my hobby box. I thought C was retail. However, I got a hot box, so maybe the retails are to be found in hot boxes also.

I love hot boxes!!! Clap

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Movie Die-Cut Cards (1:9 Hobby packs)

A Hulk
A Iron Man

Movie Die-Cut Cards (Retail packs)

B Hulk
C Hulk
B Iron Man
C Iron Man

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post
Where Can I buy Retail from

Any Idea guys

Posts: 103 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Here's my breakdown (2 boxes)...

Box 1:
Box Topper: Scarlet Witch
Sketch: The Hulk by ???

Hulk Subset: Hulk A
Iron Man Subset: None
Avengers Subset: A1 (x2), A3 (x3), A4, A5, A7, A8
Heroines Subset: MH1 (x2), MH2 (x2), MH7, MH8

Box 2:
Box Topper: X-Men Villains
Sketch: Juggernaut by Justin Chung

Costume: Invisible Woman Luv You

Iron Man Subset: Iron Man A
Avengers Subset: A1, A3 (x2), A5, A6, A8 (x2), A9
Heroines Subset: MH1, MH2, MH3 (x2), MH5, MH7, MH8, MH9

Any help on the identity of the artist of the first sketch would be great. I love the large box toppers. They were a very pleasant surprise.

One very odd thing about card #56. It is meant to be Nick Fury, but looks like The Punisher (even though The Punisher has his own card). I've not gone mad or missed something in Marvel history, have I?

Another minor mishap is on the back of MH2. The text reads, "When she [Invisible Woman] and her three creMHates were engulfed...". It looks like a spellcheck went wrong. These cards may have originally been numbered "WM" (Women of Marvel?) and then replaced with "MH". I suppose because of the RA Women of Marvel set.

Overall, I like the base set, but think the previous base set was better. I think the chase sets are very nice and give you a good chance to trade. The sketches and costume were very good too. Overall, I would give this a 7/10.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thush,

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Here's the result of the Welsh jury

Box 1

Base - 2 full sets
Topper - X-Men Villain
Sketch - Iron Man by Martinez??
Costume - Invisible woman
Avengers A1(2),A2,A4,A5,A6,A7,A9 of 9
Marvel Heroes MH1,MH4,MH5,MH6,MH7(2),MH8,MH9 of 9
Iron man subset A & C (that's a surprise)
Hulk subset - none Frown

Nice set - pleased with it. One more box to go.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thush:
Here's my breakdown (2 boxes)...

Box 1:
Box Topper: Scarlet Witch
Sketch: The Hulk by ???

Iron Man Subset: None
Avengers Subset: A1 (x2), A3 (x3), A4, A5, A7, A8
Heroines Subset: MH1 (x2), MH2 (x2), MH7, MH8

Box 2:
Box Topper: X-Men Villains
Sketch: Juggernaut by Justin Chung

Costume: Invisible Woman Luv You

Iron Man Subset: Iron Man A
Avengers Subset: A1, A3 (x2), A5, A6, A8 (x2), A9
Heroines Subset: MH1, MH2, MH3 (x2), MH5, MH7, MH8, MH9

Any help on the identity of the artist of the first sketch would be great. I love the large box toppers. They were a very pleasant surprise.

One very odd thing about card #56. It is meant to be Nick Fury, but looks like The Punisher (even though The Punisher has his own card). I've not gone mad or missed something in Marvel history, have I?

Another minor mishap is on the back of MH2. The text reads, "When she [Invisible Woman] and her three creMHates were engulfed...". It looks like a spellcheck went wrong. These cards may have originally been numbered "WM" (Women of Marvel?) and then replaced with "MH". I suppose because of the RA Women of Marvel set.

Overall, I like the base set, but think the previous base set was better. I think the chase sets are very nice and give you a good chance to trade. The sketches and costume were very good too. Overall, I would give this a 7/10.

A few more sure signs this set was rushed in addition to the Nick Fury/Punisher mixup:

The card labelled "Hammerhead" features instead a picture of Tombstone, and I'm pretty sure the "Enchantress" card actually depicts the Scarlet Witch, as the headdress on the character shown looks more like hers than it does that of the Enchantress.

It's not exactly an airplane upside down on a postage stamp, but this product is from two giants in their fields (Upper Deck and Marvel Comics) so it is surprising proofreaders on one side or the other didn't catch these mistakes, along with several others likely added to be added to this list.
this post.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
Well last Saturday I got off work after pulling a 12 hour shift and picked up a box of these and here is what I got.

Costume Card
FF3 Human Torch

And a Marat Mychaels Sketch of some character

That was the only box they had available at the time so I would have to go back. Well today I got an email from the shop I go to and they said that they got a box in. So I ran down and here is what I got in me box.

Costume Card
FF2 Invisible Woman

And a Sketch from Georges which shocked me since he only did 15!!

I could use some help identifying the characters from the 2 sketch cards, thanks. Razz

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post
That might be an altered version of beast from x-men

The other might be the Boomerang a Spidey Villain

Hard to tell without color

Posts: 103 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
thanks cire7

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
I think the second one is Falcon, not Boomerang (wrong mask).
http://en.marveldatabase.com/Image:Falcon_001.jpg

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post
I think you are right without color it is hard to tell but falcon is a better choice

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted Hide Post
I decided to pick up some of these MM2008 cards. Im glad I only picked up 1 box.
I got a full set, 8 of 9 of the 2 insert sets, 2 of the higher level insert set, a sketch & a FF costume card. Overall, Im not impressed with the quality of the product.
With only its 2nd set, it looks like UD has already given up on trying to produce any quality & plan on pumping out product with the hopes of "anything with a sketch card will sell out".
I appreciate RA Sooo much more.

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post
Base was awful

But the Chase was much better this time...

I hope and pray that Series 3 will be a better balance