Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Marvel Masterpieces 2 2008 (Upper Deck)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Masterpieces 2 2008 (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
2 Box Break

Box 1
No Sketch
The Thing Costume Card

Box 2

Punisher Sketch by Keith O'Malley (of 99)
Invisible Woman Costume
Dr. Doom Costume

Anyone that is interested the Thing and Punisher cards are available for trade. Just send me an email at prospect5000ataol.com.

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Okay, my 6 boxes arrived Smile Overall, I liked the set. The base card errors are pretty hopeless, but I much prefer the chase sets than for MM07. From my 6 boxes:
- 4 sets of Avengers chase + singles
- 3 sets of Heroines chase + singles
- 6 of each of the Hulk / Iron Man die cuts
so collation was good.

I also did well on the costume cards with an extra:
- Mr Fantastic (1)
- Human Torch (3) - two different materials
- Thing (1)
- Dr Doom (2) - both red material

Sketches are:

- ??? by ???
- ??? by Corona (though I can't find him/her on the artist list)
- Rhino by Gutierrez
- Colossus (I think) by Herrera
- Medusa (I think) by Soma
- Lagoon Monster by Sibaja

I like most the Corona and Soma sketches, so will be keeping one (or both) of these for my minimaster.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
Okay, my 6 boxes arrived Smile Overall, I liked the set. The base card errors are pretty hopeless, but I much prefer the chase sets than for MM07. From my 6 boxes:
- 4 sets of Avengers chase + singles
- 3 sets of Heroines chase + singles
- 6 of each of the Hulk / Iron Man die cuts
so collation was good.

I also did well on the costume cards with an extra:
- Mr Fantastic (1)
- Human Torch (3) - two different materials
- Thing (1)
- Dr Doom (2) - both red material

Sketches are:

- ??? by ???
- ??? by Corona (though I can't find him/her on the artist list)
- Rhino by Gutierrez
- Colossus (I think) by Herrera
- Medusa (I think) by Soma
- Lagoon Monster by Sibaja

I like most the Corona and Soma sketches, so will be keeping one (or both) of these for my minimaster.

Top left is Gladiator, top middle is Warpath and the bottom middle isn't Medusa. It's the Black Cat. Congrats on the pulls.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top left is Gladiator, top middle is Warpath and the bottom middle isn't Medusa. It's the Black Cat. Congrats on the pulls.

Thanks for the info and congrats. I am good with DC but not good with Marvel.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here are my sketches from one full case.

Regarding the costume cards, I got
4 Doctor Doom (4 variations) Smile
3 Invisible Woman (2 variations)
3 Thing (2 Variations)
1 each of Mr. Fantastic and Human Torch to complete one set.

So not too shabby on the costumes and I like the sketches although I most enjoy the ones from artists who've actually worked at Marvel, so not as good as it could have been in that regard, but still, no complaints.

The rest of the inserts look good and seem to come with the advertised frequency, but I've not sorted them yet. I would have liked the parallel sets to continue, but oh well, maybe they'll bring them back for series III.

The case topper was just a regular box topper, so that's an unfortunate feature. They could added foil to it, made it black and white, and/or sequentially numbered it to make it different but chose not to for whatever reason.

I made one set of 5 Box Toppers (which look great!)and was one card short of another with a few dupes left besides those, so that's reasonable.

A couple of cards feature art used in the last series and at least two cards in the base set feature an image of the wrong character, so there was likely a rush job on this set. Hopefully, that won't be repeated.

All in all a good set, but I would have preferred no costume cards if that would have meant they could have avoided the increase in the case price by over more than $100 over Series 1.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post
awesome pulls

That Wolverine is incredible

Posts: 103 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
Nice case break chesspieceface!

I'd have to agree, that Wolverine is nice. I like the Deadpool sketch too!

Dragoncrypt

Posts: 199 | Location: The Great White North (Canada) | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
Got a case of this and I've opened only 6 boxes for now.

Box #13349
Base Set: 2
Marvel Heroines: MH1, MH4 (x2), MH5 (x2), MH6, MH7, MH8
Avengers: A2 (x2), A4 (x2), A5, A6, A7, A9
Hulk: A
Iron Man: A
FF Memorabilia: FF5 (Doctor Doom)
Sketch:
Kevin Graham (150) - Apocalypse

Box #15192
Marvel Heroines: MH1, MH2 (x2), MH3 (x2), MH7, MH8, MH9
Avengers: A1 (x2), A3 (x2), A5, A6, A8, A9
Sketch:
Daniel Cooney (250) - Hellcat

Box #13465
Marvel Heroines: MH2, MH4 (x2), MH5, MH6, MH7, MH8, MH9
Avengers: A1, A2, A5 (x2), A6, A7, A8, A9
Sketch:
Brian Walker (100) - Hulk

Box #7826
Marvel Heroines: MH2, MH3 (x2), MH4, MH5, MH6, MH7, MH9
Avengers: A1, A2, A3, A4, A6, A8 (x2), A9
FF Memorabilia: FF3 (Human Torch)
Sketch:
Rich Woodall (1000) - Wolverine

Box #8127
Marvel Heroines: MH1, MH2, MH3, MH5, MH6, MH7, MH8, MH9
Avengers: A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, A9
FF Memorabilia: FF2 (Invisible Woman)
Sketch:
Pat Carlucci (200) - Jamie Maddrox

Box #7806
Marvel Heroines: MH1, MH2, MH3, MH4, MH5, MH6, MH8, MH9
Avengers: A2, A3, A4, A5, A7 (x2), A8, A9
FF Memorabilia: FF1 (Mr. Fantastic)
Sketch:
Mark Tannacore (100) - Wolverine & Colossus

I think I got some pretty good sketches. The base cards look like to be the pictures used for Upper Deck's Vs. game, which would explain the quality of some of the "masterpiece" base cards. The inserts were okay, I'm one of the few I think that liked the parallels and wished there was at least one parallel set included on top of the other inserts.

The costume cards have a great design but I already had 3 Doom cards already Razz. I'm not going to order a case of MM3 but instead I'll wait and see which artists are on that one.

Cheers,
Dragoncrypt

Posts: 199 | Location: The Great White North (Canada) | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post
That Fastball special is awesome

Posts: 103 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
Box #3000

I'm sure i have a couple base sets

Hulk A
Iron Man A
Heroines 2,3 x2,4,5,6,7,9,
Avengers 1,2,3,4,6,8 x2,9

Johnny Storm

And this nice sketch.Need help in identifying the artist.

http://s155.photobucket.com/al...7/Shootingstarpress/
For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Posts: 158 | Location: Somewhere In Time | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Forever Man:
Box #3000

And this nice sketch.Need help in identifying the artist.

I believe the artist is Remy "Eisu" Mokhtar.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the help.Would you happen to know where i can find info on the artist?

Thanks again

For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Posts: 158 | Location: Somewhere In Time | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cire7
posted Hide Post

Two mini masters and one partial out of four boxes

I was hoping for a full color sketch, but then again I didn't get any pencil or poorly done ones, so middle of the road I guess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cire7,

Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cire7:
That Fastball special is awesome

Thanks! My personal favorite is the Apocalypse. It's creepy...

Nice box break! I'm glad the artist wrote down who the character was. I was trying hard to remember my Marvel lore.

posted Hide Post
I got what was left of a box (25 packs) and this is what I got:

I believe that is Longshot and the artist is Benjamin Glendenning. He did 200 sketches. I like the card. I think the artist did a great job. I also got one Iron Man die-cut card, four Marvel Heroines cards (5, 6, 7, 8), and six Avengers cards (1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9). I didn't get a costume card. I guess it was in one of the 11 packs that were already bought. I might buy a Jessica Alba costume card on ebay. Her costume card from this set seems to be a lot cheaper than her costume cards from the movie set.

xman25

Posts: 58 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
Anybody recognize the artist for this one:

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
I finally got my three boxes Smile

I did ok on the sketches, but was dissapointed to not get any costume-cards out of the three boxes. The Cooney-sketch is really beautiful Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
Wow awesome pull on the cooney sketch Clap

For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
10 packs out of an open box: Pulled a Ben Jones sketch of a Skrull Captain America.

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SMC2910
posted Hide Post
Villians Boxloader
A 1(x2) 2 4 5 6 7 9
MH 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hulk A
FF3 Human Torch

Posts: 46 | Location: Coffs Harbour,Downunder | Registered: June 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post